Carnival Website vs PVP

LVDFW

I just realized that I had about 5 voicemails from my PVP over the past several weeks. (I never knew I had one). I think I spoke to her for about 30 seconds.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using a PVP?

I've used a third party TA before. Never again.

Edited by LVDFW

I've used one for booking my last 2 CCL cruises. Like you, I never knew I had one until she left me a couple voicemails and emails. They just assign them randomly I think (my first 5 were just booked on website).

There are no advantages price wise or perks etc. I was initially very skeptical preferring to do stuff on my own but I have to say it's been nice to use her. This past cruise we booked ourselves using her - no great time savings. But then my folks decided to come and all it took was a quick email and it was done. She put them in the cabin next to us, linked the reservations and called to get my cc number. Then my mother in law decided to come, another quick email and that was over with. Way faster than dealing with the website on my own. Then our upcoming Freedom cruise was just a quick phone call again. She had our past guest numbers and cabin preferences and that was all there was. If carnival would store credit card numbers it would be even quicker!

As I said I was always "pfft I can do that myself, leave me alone!" type of guy. But it really has been a timesaver for me. We still get the same email confirmations as I did when I used to book online too.

Eta- the good thing about the PVP vs an actual travel agent is that carnival will still deal with you. You not locked into your PVP if they're on vacation etc. the way you could be stuck if you can't reach your TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Waterloomarc

I like having a contact person in case there are any problems, but still it be directly with Carnival. I usually pick out my cruise, cabin, etc then call my PVP and let her book it. She will check to see if there are any better offers or better cabin locations.

I thought oh let me use a TA and see if I'm missing out on anything, well let's just say I never found out because she so personally offended me on Facebook that I unfriended her and canceled the cruise I had booked with her, now you know you've pissed me off if I cancel a cruise! It was for RCL, not Carnival. All she could offer booking wise a bottle of wine, the OBC was the same as online, and we don't really drink.

I just realized that I had about 5 voicemails from my PVP over the past several weeks. (I never knew I had one). I think I spoke to her for about 30 seconds.

Booking on the website or using a PVP is the same thing.

You could get something if you find a good TA... I don't know what a third party travel agent is (something like Priceline?) but I only use a TA because she works for me not Carnival and has more incentive to fix problems or give me rewards for repeatedly booking with her, which she does pretty often.

I always book on line. People complain of having the PVP harass them with tons of calls.

I love my PVP! She's WONDERFUL. And she knows everything...no really, everything! She thinks of things I wouldnt think of when I want to book, gives me recommendations, tells me ideas of things to do on islands that she's done before. And she NEVER calls me unless I call her first - there is no high pressure. She's been with Carnival for over 15 years and has even given me/all her clients her cell phone number (is this standard?) so we can call her afterhours if we have questions. :)

Our first cruise we used a TA. Bad idea for me. She wasnt familiar with price drops, so i had to watch for the, contact her if one happened and send her all the information. I had to explain to her what she needed to do to get the price drops credited. Ugh! We didnt get any break or perks for booking with her, so never again!

Our second cruise I called carnival , since we needed to book 2 rooms, and was assigned a PVP. At that time the web site wasn't as easy for booking multiple rooms. He is great. I still have to monitor the price drops, which I love! Its like a game:-) when I see one I just email my PVP and he deals with it.

I still have control since I research the cruise, pick our rooms and contact him. But I have someone I can call with my questions or email to make changes or get price drops.

I love our PVP!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I'm using a PVP for the first time to book next year's Alaska cruise. Usually, I do all sorts of research, but I'm finding out that if I gave questions, all I have to do is call and my PVP will do the work for me! Another benefit - she can book me and hubby in a cabin for 3, whereas the web site will show only cabins for 2!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thing any advantages/disadvantages are perceived & may be based on personality type.

I like the perks/service that I get from my 3rd party TA. (not priceline - rather a traditional TA. 3rd party means not affiliated with the cruise line.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

I've used local TAs (was especially helpful in getting extras for a small group we planned) and have booked on line through carnival (and celebrity). For my upcoming cruise, there had been a PVP calling, so when I was ready to book I decided to call her. She found me a room that wasn't showing up on the website (might have been a courtesy hold that had just been released as there were 3 cabins on the deck I was looking at the day before, and then only 1 was showing up).

Anyway, the next day, the price dropped by $60. Already in final payment. I filled out the 48 hour price guarantee form, got the standard e-mail reply (that they would get back to me within a week), and then called my PVP. She put me on hold, reached "customer solutions" and took care of it. OBC would have been ok with me but they just put it back on my VISA. Nice to have it done there and then.

I used my new PVP to get me the rates and obi's that expired a few days before I called to book. He wasn't able to get me all the items in the promotion, but I did get the money and a great rate. I also use him to link cabins for dinner reservations, etc. Even if I book online, I usually have to call him for something. In this case I booked with him first, and then for several other cabins days later.