Odd way deposit refunded

warmwinds

We decided to cancel a future cruise. When we paid the deposit, a $500 charge appeared on our credit card. When we cancelled, there were two separate credits - one for $294.44 and one for $205.56, which of course add up to $500, but we're wondering why two such odd numbers (not even $250 + $250).

Not earth shattering, but I'm curious.

We decided to cancel a future cruise. When we paid the deposit, a $500 charge appeared on our credit card. When we cancelled, there were two separate credits - one for $294.44 and one for $205.56, which of course add up to $500, but we're wondering why two such odd numbers (not even $250 + $250).

Not earth shattering, but I'm curious.

I have been told that it is because the original $500 deposit was shared by two different departments, and when the refund was given, the respective amounts were issued by the those departments individually. After running a business of my own, I can certainly understand why this is done.

Edited by boogs

Just another crazy charge/refund pattern. When we purchased our plane tickets we unded up with 4 separate charges from United. 1 charge for my ticket, 1 for DW and 2 additional charges for for upgrades. Correct net amount, but no rational reason for all that extra processing by UA.

So, if I put a $500 deposit now on a future cruise, I can get 100% back if I cancel?

I have my eye on a cruise in March 2015 and I want to secure it before the current 1-2-3 offer expires.

How soon do we have to cancel to get 100% of the deposit back?

Yes you will get a refund. While it is different for holiday sailings most sailings are as follows:

74 to 57 days prior to sailing - $250 deposit amount

56 to 29 days prior to sailing - 50% of total price

28 to 15 days prior to sailing - 75% of total price

14 to 0 days prior to sailing - 100% of total price

It will also have all this information and the dates for each of those on your confirmation.

I have been told that it is because the original $500 deposit was shared by two different departments, and when the refund was given, the respective amounts were issued by the those departments individually. After running a business of my own, I can certainly understand why this is done.

I work for a large organization that puts on an huge national convention every year. Registration deposits are divided among four separate departments to be used as funds to pay for the preparation work each department has to do. If a refund is requested, three of the departments will consolidate their shares together with one department managing the refund, while the forth department will manage their share alone. Each will send the appropriate refund. This is very common with large businesses that deal with deposits for reservations.

Instead of calling online customer service reps. and waiting on the phone for at least a half hour I have been canceling online and rebooking online myself. I was still able to get all the specials I had so doing it this way worked out fine for me. But since I've been getting new rebooking numbers I can't just transfer over my deposit myself. So after paying in full for two bookings and than cancelling them the next day due to better pricing (final deadline had not passed). You should see my credit card statement. I have one lump sum for one but the other is broken down into 6 small amounts. Know idea how they do it but I did get all of my money back. Give them about 5 days to refund you.