Can Someone Please Explain the Clamshell- HMC -process

IMKTDQT810

I posted this over on the "Private Island" boards but have not gotten any response in a few days so thought everyone here could maybe help with the input:

I know they can not be reserved until on the ship. And that they run about $20.00 for the day. But what I was not sure about are the following:

Are they also numbered and when you reserve one you get the number to it and it is yours the whole day. Meaning if you go to walk around and come back you show proof that you reserved that one, in case somebody is not aware you paid for it?

If they are "first come, first served and reserved" what happens if you DO want to walk around and then come back? Do you just go to another one not being used?

Just wondered how it all worked out. I have read the pros and cons of them and think I like that we would have a place on the beach, in the shade NEXT to DS (9) to play until he's done....but the price of a cabana for 3 ppl is not in our budget.

Thanks!!

They are not reserved but are first come, first served. You can pick the one that you want. We just put our things there when we go into the water or go to eat, etc and have never had a problem with anyone taking ours. Once you pick it, it is your's for the day.

Once you get to HMC, there is a little beach shop near the water. It is where you can rent snorkels etc. You need to go there right away and ask to rent a clamshell cabana. They will charge you $20 and then walk you to one. If they are all taken, they have more and can set one up for you.

So how do they know who has paid for theirs and who has not? Meaning I someone just outs their stuff on it and is in the water. Do they assume they were paid for? I thought I read someplace that you can reserve them at the shore excursion desk while on the ship?

So how do they know who has paid for theirs and who has not? Meaning I someone just outs their stuff on it and is in the water. Do they assume they were paid for? I thought I read someplace that you can reserve them at the shore excursion desk while on the ship?

No you get them when you get to HMC, they know who has paid, loved it, would never do a Cabana again, too much $$$:eek:

There is a difference between the cabana and a clamshell. The clamshells are just 2 beach chairs and a little Tent looking accordian umbrella type cover. Remind you of the old time baby buggies with the sun shields. The cabana are wooden structures that are numbered and you have to reserve this once you get on the ship. They do cost a lot more than the clamshells.

Just rented a clamshell 3 weeks ago. When you get off, go straight to the little water rental shack/hut/building. Pay and they will personally take you to the one you want. Your stuff will be fine. There is a bar between the back of the loungers you can put your stuff on if you are concerned. It is BEAUTIFUL there. By far hands down the best! Take a hot dog bun from lunch and tons of Gish will come in and you can hand feed them. The water is crystal clear.

The clamshells lie flat until they are rented. When you select yours, you will be with an attendant who inserts a rod they carry that keeps them open. Unrented ones lie flat; rented are propped open.

Thank you all so much, this info really helped me!! We for FTTF and will prolly take advantage of it at HMC since we are early risers and will prolly shoot to get one of the early tenders. Does anyone know what time the tenders headed over? Has there ever been more then one ship at the island at the time? Just wondered.