Argentina Forces Cunard Cruise Ship to Lower British Flag

LauraS

Check out the latest Cunard news from Cruise Critic:

Argentina Forces Cunard Cruise Ship to Lower British Flag

Perhaps a small point, but the Cruise Critic piece refers to the captain as "he", which is apparently incorrect, according to various sources such as this:

"...Captain Inger Olsen was informed of a law banning the flying of the flag and she complied with it in order to protect the safety of the passengers, who are enjoying a voyage around South America..." http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11007504.Cruise_liner_forced_to_lower_British_flag_on_arrival_in_Argentina/

Anyway, don't cry for me, Argentina - I'm happy to take my tourist dollars elsewhere!:p

Cheers,

Salacia

Merchant ships registered in British Commonwealth and Overseas Territories all fly the "undefaced" Red Ensign per the Merchant Shipping Act of 1995. So she still flies the same flag as she did before her registry was changed from Southampton to Hamilton. (Payne's new book has it wrong! :eek:) This keeps coming up on the Wikipedia entry for QM2 where some well meaning person tries to change her flag to Bermuda.

Merchant ships registered in British Commonwealth and Overseas Territories all fly the "undefaced" Red Ensign per the Merchant Shipping Act of 1995. So she still flies the same flag as she did before her registry was changed from Southampton to Hamilton. (Payne's new book has it wrong! :eek:) This keeps coming up on the Wikipedia entry for QM2 where some well meaning person tries to change her flag to Bermuda.

Thank you, good point.

Very interesting that Argentina would go after a Luxury Cruise Ship

It warms the cockles of my heart to know that thirty-odd years after, with many men including a family friend having lost their lives in the Falklands, it still irkes them enough to be petty about a flag on a ship.

It's a pity Cunard is owned by Carnival and so won't take the obvious step of saying, "Stuff you, we'll take our paying passengers and lucrative tourists to another port in South America. Oh, and by the way, we're putting Port Stanley back on the itinerary".

p.s Many thanks to Newjoisey for using the proper name of the islands. Last year President Obama tried to refer to the Malvinas, but instead demonstrated his woeful ccommand of geography and called them the Maldives. I trust that Agentina will be right alongside next time he wants to invade somewhere.

Edited by Chunky2219
after thought

It will be qite a task to avoid Argentinian ports on the around Cape Hoorn.

And I am sure that other positions regarding this little island down there are not as wrong as they have to be seen from the situation of an decreasing Commonwealth of Nations.

I am shure that Cunard knew the risk of this unique journey and they did their best to avoid any misunderstanding. Flying the Union Jack is required by international law.

As both sides are obvously not willing to compromize I am not able to point my finger to one - and who will?

There are no national borders in Europe - and the UK is part of it :p

UK is not part of Schengen and still keeps up its borders with continental Europe.

There are no borders between Poland and France, no borders between Norway and Italy and no borders between Finland and Spain.

We have two guarded borders in Western Europe - Britain and Gibraltar. Both affect passengers of Cunard ships.

This no may be understood as a lecture to those who may not already know this, but is not intended to be such.

Btw. there is an totally open border too only between France and the Netherlands - not in Europe but on the Island of St. Maarten/St. Martin in the Caribbean.

We traveled from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles several years ago on the QM2. Stopped in all sorts of wonderful places, but not Argentina. It really isn't a necessary stop. Our voyage was very satisfying without visiting there.

Did you go round Cape Hoorn?

UK is not part of Schengen and still keeps up its borders with continental Europe.

There are no borders between Poland and France, no borders between Norway and Italy and no borders between Finland and Spain.

We have two guarded borders in Western Europe - Britain and Gibraltar. Both affect passengers of Cunard ships.

This no may be understood as a lecture to those who may not already know this, but is not intended to be such.

Btw. there is an totally open border too only between France and the Netherlands - not in Europe but on the Island of St. Maarten/St. Martin in the Caribbean.

It is even a bit more complicated than that depending on the issue! But I had something else in my mind. Sorry that you didn't get it.

Yes, Cunardaddict,

QM2 took us around the Horn. Went up the Beagle Channel.

Part of her full-world tour. I think this was in 2008.

She stopped in Grenada, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Peru and Mexico. 28 days and just 6 port days. Fantastic voyage.

QM2 hasn't offer this itinerary since then. Instead, she has gone around Africa and Australia during the winter. A shame for us--DH and I would go again in a heartbeat.

It warms the cockles of my heart to know that thirty-odd years after, with many men including a family friend having lost their lives in the Falklands, it still irkes them enough to be petty about a flag on a ship.

It's a pity Cunard is owned by Carnival and so won't take the obvious step of saying, "Stuff you, we'll take our paying passengers and lucrative tourists to another port in South America. Oh, and by the way, we're putting Port Stanley back on the itinerary".

I agree. I would love to visit the Falklands and bypass Argentina. Petty behavior by small minded people

I agree. I would love to visit the Falklands and bypass Argentina. Petty behavior by small minded people

some events in history can arouse a passion from the people of a country. argentina did not win the war. myself as an american i will never buy products or visit vietnam.

It will be qite a task to avoid Argentinian ports on the around Cape Hoorn.

quote]

Actually the QE2 did it on her last world cruise. Uruguay and then Chile. At least she did get to go round the horn. After the horn she backtracked through the Straits of Magellan. No way would Argentina let "that ship" dock.

Susan

just remove the flag and avoid the HBO drama. it is not worth the risk that some wacko on shore will take issue with a passenger over it.reinstall it AS you leave port

Well, there's a problem with your suggestion; it contravenes international admiralty law. Ships are required to fly the flag of their registry. Most nations with a merchant marine have a merchant flag which all ships registered in that country fly, at the ensign staff aft. By custom, when entering the waters of another country, a ship flies that nation's flag at the jackstaff which is forward. Naval vessels generally do not, since they are considered sovereign territory of the nation they serve.

More useless trivia for you all to enjoy :)

Samuel Eliot Morison tells us all we have to know about who really owns the Falkland Islands:

"… the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic, off the southern tip of Argentina, had been ceeded in 1771 to England. She had never bothered to take possesion, but the islands were frequented by ships from Stonington, Connecticut, whose crews slaughtered, for the skins, the great herds of seal that bred there. Around 1820 the Argentine Republic put in a claim for the Falklands and appointed as governor Louis Vernet, who imported cattle and gauchos and established a flourishing ranch. As the American seal-skinners showed a propensity to slay and eat his cattle, Vernet caused two of their vessels to be seized, plundered, and sent to Buenos Aires. Jackson’s secretary of the navy, Levi Woodbury, then ordered sloop-of-war Lexington, Captain Silas Duncan, to sail to the Falklands and protect American interests. Duncan did this very effectively by rounding up the not unwilling gauchos, long unpaid and heartily sick of the Falklands, and sailing them 1000 miles to Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

Unknown to Secretary Woodbury, the British government had decided to take possession of the Falklands, and did so in 1833 since nobody was there - thanks to Captain Duncan."

Chapter XXVIII, The Oxford History of the American People by Samuel Eliot Morison, New York - Oxford University Press, 1965.

P.S. Thank goodness President Jackson never claimed "Duncan's Islands" for the United States. But, if he had, I'm sure that Margaret Thatcher would have supported our triumphant reconquest and liberation in 1982.

Yes, Cunardaddict,

QM2 took us around the Horn. Went up the Beagle Channel.

Part of her full-world tour. I think this was in 2008.

She stopped in Grenada, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Peru and Mexico. 28 days and just 6 port days. Fantastic voyage.

QM2 hasn't offer this itinerary since then. Instead, she has gone around Africa and Australia during the winter. A shame for us--DH and I would go again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for this info, Jimmybean - I was not aware that QM2 went around Cape Hoorn and I wish she would do it again. This cruise is on my list since a long time. This must have been a great adventure. Did you do a review??

Thanks

Cats2010

Edited by Cats2010