Tell me about Chef's Table

Crazymasons

We did Chef's table on the Pride 2 years ago. I will start by saying DH was very upset with me in the beginning for book a meal that cost $75/ person. He wound up being very pleased. We are foodie type of people and really enjoy that type of food but I will say I am not very cultured as there as not that many places in our area. Chef’s table started out by having us meet at the bar area in the main lobby. We met the chef and then went down for a tour of the galley. Having worked in a few kitchens when I was younger I was very impressed with the magnitude of the galley on the ship. I have only ever seen anything like this one other time, and that was an aircraft carrier. So you can just imagine. This kitchen was the most organized thing I’ve ever seen too. It was the middle of the early seating dinner so everyone was hurrying around but everyone was I saw was also smiling. It was amazing to see. The chef brought us to a table where there were small plates out and champagne glasses. Was each stood at a plate and were served champagne. I don’t normally drink wine or champagne (don’t typically care for the taste) but this was good. I drank 3 glasses before leaving the kitchen. While standing with the chef he explained about how many dinners they serve and how much food each week. Also he brought us some small appetizers to tickle our taste buds. Unfortunately I have no pictures of tis as we weren’t allowed to take pictures in the galley but they did let us take pictures at the chef’s table. The small bites were presented two at a time. First was the Parmesan core & olive and the chorizo &dates, piquillo sofrito. The olive was good but I typically don’t eat any olives. The chorizo was awesome. It had a sweet and savory flavor going. Next were focaccia, mascarpone cream & prosciutto crudo and langoustine & sundried tomato jam fritters. I wasn’t a huge fan of the fritters but only because I don’t really like langoustine. The focaccia was very nice though. After those the chef showed us how to make the WMC. I tried this at home and it was great. My husband says we can't cruise again without doing this.

We did the CT on the Glory in November. For the price it is well worth the it. Was it the best CT's, no, not even the best dining experience at sea but for the price I wouldn't hesitate to book it again.

Some of the issues: In the galley it was very hard to hear the chef even standing one person away (busy hustling kitchen).

Some of the actual dishes were overcooked, missing some basic components. ie salmon with no acid. However seeing how the kitchen is limited in what it can do by equipment (for instance no open flames- so no grilling, hot searing etc) it was impressive. Imagine trying to cook a 4 star meal using a salamander and a flat top. The chef also took great pride in his work and was very proud of the job he does and it showed.

It was good, but we enjoyed the Chef's Table much more on the Pride a few years ago. It was just an overall better experience.

Have to agree, the initial menu, (we tried on Elation in 2011), was much better then the present one, which we had in 2012.

Will say the free flowing of the wine made the dinner even better both times.:D