Sea sickness remedies for kids

Amy1969

Hi all!!

I have 2 kids (9 and 4) that we are cruising with the end of August. Have found great recs for adults and older kids (bonine, patches,etc) but none relating to the smaller ones.

Anyone have any recs/experiences?:confused:

Thanks!

Amy

Crystalized Ginger... available in supermarket with spices... if you suck on it, it soothes the stomach... at first it tastes sweet then the texture can seem "yucky" to some, so they don't have to finish each piece.

My two -- 9 and 5-1/2 -- did just fine on children's dramamine. It didn't take much. Older one got half a pill and younger one got a quarter. But the only time they got seasick was when we hit a storm during the night and I hadn't given them dramamine.

It makes some kids drowsy, so you might want to try it out before vacation. (A car trip isn't a valid test -- the motion of the car puts mine out sometimes, but they did fine on the dramamine on the ship.)

Thanks to everyone!!! Plan to "play around" with everything before we go!!!

Now does anyone have a remedy for the hurricanes and tropical storms??!!:D storm number 6 east of Florida!!!

Amy,

The suggestion of other people is effective but green apples and room temperature ginger ale is a good natural remedy. And make sure that they "always" have something in their stomach (e.i. saltine etc.) and rehydrate if they feel discomfort.

Kids tend to loose appetite and not eat or drink and these leads to more dizzyness and more discomfort. So encourage them to eat even a little. If they feel sleepy, by all means by all means make them sleep on it.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi all!!

I have 2 kids (9 and 4) that we are cruising with the end of August. Have found great recs for adults and older kids (bonine, patches,etc) but none relating to the smaller ones.

Anyone have any recs/experiences?:confused:

Thanks!

Amy

kimkimkim

If you are that concerned, we are not the people you should be asking. Please talk to your doctor about your specific kids issues with getting on a ship and seasickness medications. As I said in another message, the medications out there sometimes, with some people (myself included) do more harm than good.

Who knows, maybe there will be no issues whatsoever. I do agree with yellowbird, keep them eating. Pizza and fries will probably do the trick... The room temp gingerale never did anything for me as a kid though.

Like the ideas of ginger/ginger ale/green apples...

Agree with you tarjan about the doc...I do plan on asking him befoe we leave, but working in medicine (and with kids) I always like to get feedback from people who have actually tried different remedies (inc homeopathic) before seeing my pediatrician. That way if I am given multiple options for treatment/prevention, I have something to base my decision on (others' experiences, not just texts/journals).

The same does hold true for the adults reading the messages on this board though. Dramamine and bonine are quickly recommended without taking into consideration others' medical problems and medications they are on! That can cause problems as well!

Cruise on!!! :p

Amy

Archived