Ultimate Beverage Package Questions

Bdogamus

Hope this is the correct way to post my questions. I am considering purchasing the UBP for our 7-day NCL Getaway cruise in May. One of the restrictions stated only one drink per person per transaction. Does this mean I go to a bar, order my drink, close out my tab, then have to go to a completely new bar? Or does it mean I close out the tab and when I'm ready, just order another drink--closing out the tab each time? I know sodas are included so if I order a soda but want a mixed drink do I have to sign off for the soda then open a new tab for the drink?

Also if you go over the maximum amount allowed per drink (more than $8.50) does only the difference in the drink get charged? One other thread stated they charge for the entire drink. In other words, will the NCL staff let me know if a drink is not included because it goes above the allowable cost? Or will I end up paying for drinks because they cost $8.51 and I didn't know.

And finally, do I tip in addition for each drink?

Anyone who has done the UBP let me know please :)

Thanks!

you order your drink and sign for it, drink it, then you can order another.

you can do this at the same bar.

Also its not obligatory to tip in addition, unless you wish.

I would ask the bar tender if I wasn't sure if a drink was included or not, avoiding the excess charge.

Hope this is the correct way to post my questions. I am considering purchasing the UBP for our 7-day NCL Getaway cruise in May. One of the restrictions stated only one drink per person per transaction. Does this mean I go to a bar, order my drink, close out my tab, then have to go to a completely new bar? Or does it mean I close out the tab and when I'm ready, just order another drink--closing out the tab each time? I know sodas are included so if I order a soda but want a mixed drink do I have to sign off for the soda then open a new tab for the drink?

Also if you go over the maximum amount allowed per drink (more than $8.50) does only the difference in the drink get charged? One other thread stated they charge for the entire drink. In other words, will the NCL staff let me know if a drink is not included because it goes above the allowable cost? Or will I end up paying for drinks because they cost $8.51 and I didn't know.

Thanks!

1. You can't order 2 drinks at a time. Just one. Don't over think that part.

2. If you go over, you will be charged for the entire drink. Don't rely on the bartenders to tell you if the drink costs too much. You need to be responsible for knowing the price of the drinks you are ordering - simply ask to be sure.

3. 15% gratuity is added to the charge of the UBP, so you have already paid your tips. Obviously you can tip more if you choose.

Bdogamus- My wife and I had the UBP while on the Breakaway in October.

It was our experience on the Breakaway that after be-friending a few of the bartenders at various bars, (and tipping even with the UBP) we never were charged anything for any drinks that we ordered, and many were drinks that were not supposed to be included with the UBP.

Your success with getting multiple drinks or getting drinks that are outside of the UBP price guidelines may vary.

My suggestion- make friends with a few of the bartenders, take care of them and they will take care of you.

Enjoy your cruise-

Regards

Vinegarjoe

Bdogamus- My wife and I had the UBP while on the Breakaway in October.

It was our experience on the Breakaway that after be-friending a few of the bartenders at various bars, (and tipping even with the UBP) we never were charged anything for any drinks that we ordered, and many were drinks that were not supposed to be included with the UBP.

Your success with getting multiple drinks or getting drinks that are outside of the UBP price guidelines may vary.

My suggestion- make friends with a few of the bartenders, take care of them and they will take care of you.

Enjoy your cruise-

Regards

Vinegarjoe

If you were being given free drinks, the bartender should actually be fired. The way UBP works, you should still have to have signed tickets for the drinks, because they are added to your account, but then removed afterwards. If the drinks were higher value than allowed on UBP, the bartender must have rung them up as something cheaper, or not rung them up at all. Again, it's stealing and grounds for firing.

LrgPizza,

Thank you for catching that. What I meant by my post was that we were not charged for drinks that were above the price criteria of the UBP by several bartenders at different bars. We did sign for every drink that we were served, and amazingly the drinks were rung up as advertised, but were zero'd out by the UBP package.

Our assumption was, in return for tips for drinks served, the bartenders mixed drinks for us with 'super premium' alcohol, or served us 'large' drafts that weren't included with the already OVERPRICED UBP, that we chose to purchase.

Perhaps you could write to the CEO of NCL and advise them of this heinous event that occurred on the Breakaway in October of 2013.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

If you were being given free drinks, the bartender should actually be fired. The way UBP works, you should still have to have signed tickets for the drinks, because they are added to your account, but then removed afterwards. If the drinks were higher value than allowed on UBP, the bartender must have rung them up as something cheaper, or not rung them up at all. Again, it's stealing and grounds for firing.

Because land based bartenders have *never* taken care of their good customers with behavior described above.

/sarcasm

On our sailing when we ordered intentionally a drink NOT included ( champagne or high end drinks ) the bartenders always warned us it was not included in the UBP.

And yes you pay the full price, not only the amount over the included drinks.

At every bar we went, when my girlfriend and I ordered a drink at the same time, the bartender looked at both our card to see the sticker but charged both drinks on one card. The next round, he just charged both drinks on the other ( not previously swiped ) card. Next round would be the other card and so on and so on.

When we got to our favourite bar we just left both cards on the bar and the bartender picked and choose the card he wanted to charge it to.

We left additional tip when we had great service and recognition, nothing like being called by first name on day 2 of the cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

LrgPizza,

Thank you for catching that. What I meant by my post was that we were not charged for drinks that were above the price criteria of the UBP by several bartenders at different bars. We did sign for every drink that we were served, and amazingly the drinks were rung up as advertised, but were zero'd out by the UBP package.

Our assumption was, in return for tips for drinks served, the bartenders mixed drinks for us with 'super premium' alcohol, or served us 'large' drafts that weren't included with the already OVERPRICED UBP, that we chose to purchase.

Perhaps you could write to the CEO of NCL and advise them of this heinous event that occurred on the Breakaway in October of 2013.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

I'm not sure why you would think it's a heinous event, unless that was a lame attempt at sarcasm. I hate employees that take advantage of their employers. Sure, it happens on land, too. Duh. And I don't like it there either. The alcohol is not owned by the bartender, so it's not theirs to give away. I just know that there are other ways to give good customer service without smacking your employer in the face. I can't have a lot of respect for a bartender who does not respect his job or his employer. Just my opinion. :) Edited by LrgPizza

QUOTE=Bdogamus;41664039]Hope this is the correct way to post my questions. I am considering purchasing the UBP for our 7-day NCL Getaway cruise in May. One of the restrictions stated only one drink per person per transaction. Does this mean I go to a bar, order my drink, close out my tab, then have to go to a completely new bar? Or does it mean I close out the tab and when I'm ready, just order another drink--closing out the tab each time? I know sodas are included so if I order a soda but want a mixed drink do I have to sign off for the soda then open a new tab for the drink?

Thanks!

http://cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

That site not only shows what's included in the package but has photos of NCL drink menus!

Edited by wichitastatecruiser
trying to upload image

I'm not sure why you would think it's a heinous event, unless that was a lame attempt at sarcasm. I hate employees that take advantage of their employers. Sure, it happens on land, too. Duh. And I don't like it there either. The alcohol is not owned by the bartender, so it's not theirs to give away. I just know that there are other ways to give good customer service without smacking your employer in the face. I can't have a lot of respect for a bartender who does not respect his job or his employer. Just my opinion. :)

Have you ever seen a bartender do a free pour? Do you think that they are actually pouring the exact amount as they would if they used a shot glass? Have you seen how much alcohol is spilled on a bar when a bartender is pouring a lot of drinks? It's not that big of a deal~ I don't see it as a bartender slapping his employer in the face by adding extra to a drink or giving away a free drink or two~ by the way have you seen how many drinks cruiselines give away at their open bar parties?? You must hate those~ ;)

Have you ever seen a bartender do a free pour? Do you think that they are actually pouring the exact amount as they would if they used a shot glass? Have you seen how much alcohol is spilled on a bar when a bartender is pouring a lot of drinks? It's not that big of a deal~ I don't see it as a bartender slapping his employer in the face by adding extra to a drink or giving away a free drink or two~ by the way have you seen how many drinks cruiselines give away at their open bar parties?? You must hate those~ ;)
Give me a break. You are comparing apples to oranges. Don't be naive.

And if you seriously think that the higher ups don't know that alcohol is given away at some point in time then you are the naive one~ :rolleyes:
Of course they know it! And obviously they take measures to try to plug those holes. I could have my 10 year old explain it to you if you'd like.

Hi all,

Im a little confused about the UBP ! I know that beer and wine and spirits included are all under a certain value, but is there a price limit on cocktails or are they all included in the package.

Yes - I think its $8.50 for cocktails. 5.50 for bottled beer and 10 for glasses of wine.

Check this link: http://cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

Edited by kirsty_r

...Sure, it happens on land, too. Duh. And I don't like it there either. The alcohol is not owned by the bartender, so it's not theirs to give away. I just know that there are other ways to give good customer service without smacking your employer in the face. I can't have a lot of respect for a bartender who does not respect his job or his employer. Just my opinion. :)

Not sure how it is in the Midwest. But in NY, buy backs are expected and factored in by bar managers and owners.

Not sure how it is in the Midwest. But in NY, buy backs are expected and factored in by bar managers and owners.
It's that way in the Midwest, too. It's basically a bar's version of a loyalty program - you give extra perks to good customers, knowing that those extras mean return business and positive word of mouth. It's a win-win for the customer and the business.

It's that way in the Midwest, too. It's basically a bar's version of a loyalty program - you give extra perks to good customers, knowing that those extras mean return business and positive word of mouth. It's a win-win for the customer and the business.

Absolutely. Bartenders are sometimes given an amount they are allowed to comp per night. To think bartenders can give away free drinks at will is simply not true. I've been in the business long enough to know better. Even bars do inventory and check ticket sales against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app