New to DCL - a few random questions

shoegal24

Hello - we're looking into booking the 4 night costal cruise in Sept on Disney Wonder - any insight or advice on the following is greatly appreciated

1. Our son will be 9 months old at the time of sailing. Think he is too young? The cruise isn't cheap - if you were me would you wait a few more years?

2. Main dining is no longer available. What's the chance of switching from second seating to the 530 time once on board?

3. Does anyone understand disney's cancellation policy? I've read it but I don't understand if I'm eligible for a refund of the deposit if I cancel.

TIA!

3. There is a penalty date. Normally, this is 75 days before embarkation (the day you get on the ship). If you cancel before the penalty date, you get 100% of your money back. If you cancel between the penalty date and the cruise, you lose some of your money. How much depends on exactly when you cancel. If you cancel for a covered reason, travel insurance will make up you loss. If you buy insurance thru DCL and the insurance rules it not a covered reason, DCL will give you the loss as a credit toward a future cruise...but DCL insurance is a whole other topic.

2. It depends totally on how full the ship is. At the time of booking, you can ask to be waitlisted for main seating.

It is a common mis-conception that they "fill" main seating and then have only "late" left over. In reality, the goal is to balance the two seatings--have roughly the same number of guests at each. If family A is 4 people and books main seating, then next family of 4 will be offered only late, but can wait list for main. Call DCL every month or so and ask about the wait list--odds are you'll get moved before boarding. September is slow season and often special rates are offered. Moving to main shouldn't be an issue.

1. Is the vacation for the mommy and daddy or for the kid? If you think you are taking a 9 month on a cruise for him to enjoy it, you are deluding yourself. He will gurgle and coo.....or might be terrified of the characters. He's at an age that is easy to deal with. But reality, this trip is for you. A 9 month old won't remember it. He'll have pictures of "what I did when I was a baby." Character interaction varies with the kid--the characters are trained to NOT approach a baby or young child unless the child first approaches/shows interest in them. Reality--what are YOU wanting out of the cruise? That would determine whether to do it now or wait a few years. In a few years, this one might be 3 years old, but you might nave another infant! And in all honesty, if I were looking at September, I wouldn't book now. I'd wait and see if special rates are available in June or July! If I were viewing this as a "once in a lifetime" trip, I'd wait a few years.

Edited by moki'smommy