ballroom dance lessons

buchhalm

As "queer" as it sounds, do "The Queens" offer dance lessons?

For YEARS I promised my wife to shake a leg properly.....

:)

Yes they are usually held at 12.15 in the Queens Room on sea days. I think you can also arrange private lessons for a price.

Nice!

Must buy a new pair of Manolos for my wife then.

If you are serious about taking ballroom dance lessons, especially private lessons, you might consider getting some proper ladie's latin or ballroom dance shoes, in addition to the Manolos. Maybe even for yourself. Supadance or Freed's of London are the two best, both UK made.

If you are serious about taking ballroom dance lessons, especially private lessons, you might consider getting some proper ladie's latin or ballroom dance shoes, in addition to the Manolos. Maybe even for yourself. Supadance or Freed's of London are the two best, both UK made.

I totally agree with getting ballroom dance shoes for both ladies and men. As a man who took up ballroom dancing at age 70+, I can testify that proper ballroom dance shoes with suede soles make performing the dance steps properly much easier than with ordinary leather sole shoes. However, I would not recommend men's latin (Cuban heel) dance shoes as many older men have difficulty with the smaller and higher shoe heel. YMMV

Bob

Edited by BobBranst

Yes they are usually held at 12.15 in the Queens Room on sea days. I think you can also arrange private lessons for a price.

Can be crowded i.e. when Tango lesson. The dancrs may be booked for private lessons.

Get decent shoea, not this 5th Ave. rubbish. Manolo's are shoes to sit or take pff in a spectacular way according to my wife.

Thanks for the tips, all.

I have no intentions to enter "come dance with me", so investing in dedicated dance shoes might be a bit of overkill for me.

But I promise that I won't show up in boots or Birkenstocks.

I have no intentions to enter "come dance with me", so investing in dedicated dance shoes might be a bit of overkill for me.

This tips do not aim to a dress code but to your personal health.

I'm not familiar with "Come Dance With Me" other than the Frank Sinatra song, but I assume it is a competitive dance show. Those of us who have suggested getting proper ballroom dance shoes are suggesting them for social ballroom dancing which is what you will find in the Queen's Room on any of the Cunard Ships.

If your intent is just a one time dance or two to keep your DW happy, then getting dance shoes would be overkill. However, If you intend to continue dancing after your cruise, do your ankles and knees a favor by getting proper shoes for dancing on a ballroom floor.

On a cruise about 15 months ago I had not intended to dance. When I found that everyone at our table was dancing, I joined in. The result was blisters that broke! I danced for the rest of the cruise, but i had to constantly search for plasters large enough to cover the afflicted area. Proper dance shoes are worth it!

I bought a pair of social shoes (strappy) for the next cruise, then a pair of dedicated ballroom ones (boring old-lady look) for my November cruise. I can attest to the difference it made to the quality of my dancing when I got the right shoes and had proper support.

I noticed at the lessons that many people do not wear proper shoes, and I slipped into the habit of wearing anything rather than appearing different, but in the end I decided that it's so much easier to dance in the proper shoes that it was worth doing it.

I danced so much I had to wear regular shoes at one point for the lessons! The balls of my feet hurt! ;-) But, hey, it was worth it!

I noticed at the lessons that many people do not wear proper shoes, and I slipped into the habit of wearing anything rather than appearing different, but in the end I decided that it's so much easier to dance in the proper shoes that it was worth doing it.

Edited by landre1020

• 2 weeks later...

"Queer"? Really?

Ballroom dancing has been practiced for quite a long time. It is neither gay nor odd (both definitions of the word "queer") to want to learn to ballroom dance.

Leave your misconceptions at home please.

"Queer"? Really?

Ballroom dancing has been practiced for quite a long time. It is neither gay nor odd (both definitions of the word "queer") to want to learn to ballroom dance.

Leave your misconceptions at home please.

Lady_E, the OP asked "As "queer" as it sounds, do "The Queens" offer dance lessons?..." That suggests to me that the OP wanted to learn ballroom dancing, and was interested in learning if lessons were available. I don't see any "misconceptions" in the OP's question. English is not a first language for many, and it is easy to take offense where none was intended. I've made horrible language errors when trying to speak a language I didn't know well (and not infrequently in my native language)- but thankfully, people just laughed at my errors and sometimes offered gentle correction rather than taking offense. :) Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Lady_E, the OP asked "As "queer" as it sounds, do "The Queens" offer dance lessons?..." That suggests to me that the OP wanted to learn ballroom dancing, and was interested in learning if lessons were available. I don't see any "misconceptions" in the OP's question. English is not a first language for many, and it is easy to take offense where none was intended. I've made horrible language errors when trying to speak a language I didn't know well (and not infrequently in my native language)- but thankfully, people just laughed at my errors and sometimes offered gentle correction rather than taking offense. :) Cheers, -S.

Well said Salacia. We don't really need language police. We already have the fashion police here :):)

Bob