Swimming in Oct on Splendor?

Jather01

We want to book the 10/4/14 sailing out of NYC to New England/Canada, but I'm a little concerned about telling my 5 year old he can't swim when he sees those pools and splash pad / water slide area. I was thinking the pool with the retractable roof would be warm enough, but then I remembered that Carnival uses ocean water and empties and refills on a regular basis.

Does anyone have experience with cruising in cooler temps on the Splendor? Do we need to give up on the idea of swimming at all? Called Carnival and they couldn't tell me anything. Also, are kids allowed in the heated whirlpools? They couldn't tell me that either.

TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Splendor, cruising form NY to the Bahamas. We left in the middle of a Blizzard and we couldn't go out on any deck for the entire first sea day as they had so much snow on the decks. But, by the second day it was off and by the third day we were in warmer weather and everything on the ship was in use.

Now, the main pool on the Lido deck does have a retractable roof and that pool is open all the time (except at night when they are cleaning it). If the weather is nice they retract the roof, or else it is on all the time. The kiddy water park was open but very few people were using it and the slide was never in use, as the pool on the upper deck wasn't open either.

Going to Canada, you can be sure the pool on Lido will be open. Just prepare yourself for major noise when the roof is closed. You can't hear yourself think it gets pretty loud.

Cheers

Len

• 2 months later...