Southampton Cruise Port to Chunnel

Chunnel isn't a very commonly used word.

I take it you actually want to know about the Eurostar which is the train from London to Paris via The Channel Tunnel?

If you don't have a great deal of luggage I would get a South West Trains service from Southampton Central to London Waterloo then get on a Bakerloo Line Underground train to Oxford Circus, change to the Victoria Line to Kings Cross St Pancras. St Pancras is the London terminal of the Eurostar.

If you have a car and are planning on the using the Shuttle then take the M3, M25 then M20 and your there.

Yes I agree,'chunnel' isn't used...but the train that runs through it is easy!

We take the QM2 to Southampton each year and then take the Eurostar to Paris, so hopefully I can help.

The first year we took the ship's transportation to St Pancras (this is the London end of Eurostar). It was convenient and got us there in plenty of time for our 2PM (approx.) train.

The last few years we have arranged private transportation to St Pancras through http://www.smithsforairports.com. They are reasonably priced and we can leave whenever we want from the ship. We generally give it 2 hours or more to get there just in case there's traffic. It gives us plenty of time to relax at the station before leaving and remember for Eurostar you have to check in at least 30 minutes early.

I would not do the trains unless you're familiar with UK trains and can handle your own luggage (there is no checked luggage). You have to store it yourself.

Do what ever is easiest for you and your situation.

Edited by Cruise NH

Thanks to both of you for replying. Since it's the first time we've taken the "Eurostar"and we will have luggage for 10 days, we like the idea of either the ship's transportation or the private transportation plan you are using. We have never taken this cruise and are looking forward to it. If there is anything specific you can tell us about it, please feel free to do so.

Are you arriving on the QM2? How are you getting home?

The reason I ask is...if you are returning on the QM2, you can leave some of your luggage at the port in Southampton. We do this all the time.

We love visiting Europe, but I hate to fly, so we take the ship back and forth across the Atlantic and I don't want to lug our 'cruise duds' all over Europe.

Cunard offers a service where they will store your luggage at the pier and then deliver it to your stateroom for your return trip. It costs $65 for under 30 days. They will give you special tags for the luggage and you put it outside with your other things the final night of the cruise, you don't see it again until your return trip.

There are other storage solutions in Southampton, where you rent a locker and they're probably cheaper but I couldn't be bothered. It's a cost vs convenience thing and it's up to you to make the call. If you are interested in one of the these private locker things, post a question on the Cunard forum, someone there can give you the details. You would have to get your bags to the locker storage place on your own.

If you're not returning on the QM2, but still want to store luggage, you can do it at St Pancras train station. It's called 'left luggage' and they will store your bag(s) for as long as you want. If you're coming back on Eurostar then you'll have to come back through here anyway. It's not cheap, maybe 6 pounds a day.

If you do plan to take the ship's transport, I've heard it's cheaper if you book it in advance. Something like $50pp rather then $70pp. Not sure I have those numbers right, but you get the picture.

Any other questions please let me know.

Are you going to Paris the same day your ship arrives in Southampton? In any case, you should look to book your Eurostar tickets soon. Cheaper tickets sell out. Don't cut it too close time wise. Leave plenty of time to catch your train. Unless you are returning to London to spend time there or elsewhere in England, you'll have to take your luggage with you. I don't think I would recommend returning to London JUST to fly home.

The experience on Eurostar is nice. Just make sure you are at St. Pancras about 45 minutes prior to train's departure. You need to pass through the automated barriers with your ticket and do airport like security and passport/immigration control prior to getting to the lounge where you wait before boarding the train.

We are actually arriving on the QE2. I will keep all your info in mind for the next trip as for this one, we are going to the "Eurostar" to Lille and our friends are flying into Paris and will meet us with a car at Lille. Then we will travel around to Austria, Swits, Belguim, etc. and end up in Vienna. We will plan to return to the US from Vienna. We are looking forward to it as the only place we may have already visited will be Germany. Thanks for your help.