RCCL Newbies..Allure of the Seas help needed.

Awesome..thanks

Its just DH that I'm concerned about. We always lug a case or 2 of water on board. I tried to get him to use a refillable brita filtered water bottle last cruise but he says it still has "that taste". LOL

You can also buy a bottled-water-only (Evian) package through the cruise line, if you'd rather not haul water onboard with you. It's more expensive (some might say too expensive) but you have the convenience of having it waiting in your stateroom for you. The prices are as follows:

8 bottles - $28.45

12 bottles - $40.30

16 bottles - $50.55

24 bottles - $71.10

I believe the bottles are 1L.

Ok now... once we decide on which room I am stuck for how to book.

With a few other lines I book myself online. With Disney I book with a company that offers OBC...

Is it best to book directly with RCCL or a 3rd party person?

Help...

Usually we book direct with the cruiseline. This cruise we booked via the Monday thru Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM auto-related agent who gave $50 cabin OBC, a specialty dinner for two, and one soda package, but we missed several significant price drops on weekends. In retrospect, I'd consider booking one of the online, 24/7 sites that pays gratuities ($12 per day X 7 days X 2 Passengers) and is available 24/7 for price drops.

Our Blue Cross Blue Shield covers medical/transport out-of-country and our World Mastercard provides adequate cancellation and luggage benefits, so we normally don't buy Trip Insurance. .

ken

Edited by Ken076

Usually we book direct with the cruiseline. This cruise we booked via the Monday thru Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM auto-related agent who gave $50 cabin OBC, a specialty dinner for two, and one soda package, but we missed several significant price drops on weekends. In retrospect, I'd consider booking one of the online, 24/7 sites that pays gratuities ($12 per day X 7 days X 2 Passengers) and is available 24/7 for price drops.

Our Blue Cross Blue Shield covers medical/transport out-of-country and our World Mastercard provides adequate cancellation and luggage benefits, so we normally don't buy Trip Insurance. .

ken

We don't buy trip insurance as we have an annual policy that we carry from year to year.

"Monday thru Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM?"

meaning just a local travel agency sort of thing?

"In retrospect, I'd consider booking one of the online, 24/7 sites that pays gratuities" ... where would I find a reputable one of these?

Edited by vacation_junkie

I didn't read the other replies first, so I can give my untainted reply. Allure was my most recent sailing.

I'm looking at the Allure (Feb 2015) but feel overwhelmed..which never happens when I'm travel planning.

I understand its a huge ship which is great which means there is so much to see and do.

There is, but you know how cruising works... so don't sweat it. It's VACATION! :)

What complimentary drinks are offered?

Water is always available on the promenade at the pizza joint (Sorrentos). In the dining room and windjammer there is also water, iced tea, lemonade, and in the windjammer they tend to have a flavored water of some type (mango, etc).

You can ask for iced tea at dinner too, most ppl don't realize that.

At breakfast there is oj, apple juice, and I think tomato juice (can you tell what I don't drink?).

Coffee (but it's terrible IMHO) and hot tea can be requested in the dining room and windjammer and is available on the promenade at the place near te jewelry store (I can't remember what it's called).

Cost: soda, fresh squeezed oj (be careful at breakfast that they're not offering that to you vice the regular), alcohol*, starbucks

*If you go to the captains welcome aboard reception there is usually free champagne (sparkling white) moving about.

Can you bring bottled water on board with you? We drink alot of water. We don't drink alcohol so we need something to keep us hydrated :D

I've never tried to bring any with. I'll defer to those that have done so.

Shows- from what I've been reading it is all reserved seating. You have to book your shows ahead of time..right?

You don't have to, but it guarantees you'll get in and gets you past waiting in line. But, you've got to go when it opens for seating, not last minute. I think they open it up to those w/o reservations at like 10-15 til show time. You can always NOT go if you book something and then want to do something else instead. You can make these reservations on the website easy breezy.

Activities..are all the things below complimentary or do have a fee?

• Zip line, nine decks in the air and 82 feet across
  • Two FlowRider® surf simulators
  • Two rock-climbing walls, each 43 feet high
  • Full-sized basketball court
  • Ice-skating rink
  • Mini-golf course
  • Hand-carved carousel

FREE FREE FREE. Everything you listed above. Make sure you have socks with you (I'm not a regular sock wearer, so I have to purposely pack them.) You'll need it for ice skating and the rock wall. They do have hockey skates available, but you have to ask for them or you get figure skates *hiss*

There are usually lines for the zip line and flow rider but often you can walk up there and get through pretty fast. You can do the waivers online ahead of time, but you'll still have to wait in line to get a bracelet for the flow rider (which is annoying to me, but I get it). No need for a bracelet on the zip line if you've done the waivers, they slide your card and can 'see' that.

What is the room service surcharge & after midnight?

I think it's like $5. But you can usually find free food, or so was my experience, on the promenade. Although, don't quote me as I don't remember what time that was.

Judy

I've checked out the Balcony Rooms on the Allure and see that there are Balcony rooms that face Central Park / Boardwalk.

Which would be the better location?

Which deck?

Central Park view or Boardwalk view? Pro's , cons...

On Oasis I had a central park balcony deck 11, on Allure I had the furthest aft boardwalk balcony deck 9 (before the suite). Check my signature for exact room numbers. Note that the Oasis balcony was larger than the rest due to the placement near an area that the staff used, that was a pleasant surprise. Aft on Allure, that's a walk, which was good after a big meal, but quickly taught you to not leave w/o making sure you had everything you needed to avoid needing to run back. You could NOT see the ocean super well from the aft room due to the theatre, but you could walk on deck 5?6? behind the theatre and get a great view.

Central park was nice and quiet. If you like to sit on the balcony and read this might be for you. If you distract easily, the boardwalk balcony means you're not reading you're watching all of the movement and maybe aqua show practice. If you like to people watch, I'd say boardwalk, as central park was a little too slow paced.

Agree with another reply - once you close the door on the boardwalk balcony it is pretty darn quiet with one exception - you can hear a bit of the shows and practice, but they're not super late or anything. If you have late sleepers like we did the 10am morning practice might wake them.

Judy

Edited by jchiefs13

I just have a few comments based on my recent Allure sailing:

1. Re: Show Reservations. I recommend reserving online ahead of time. As long as you can reserve the Comedy Show, the others aren't "as" critical. I noticed most times when they let the standby line in for the other shows that everyone got a seat...sometimes in the preferred seating as the "gold card (suite)" seating opens up at that time. The Comedy Show was the only one out of all the shows we attended that it would have been next to impossible to get in without a reservation. That said, there is no harm in booking the others in advance. If you need to change, you an do so onboard or you can go stand by.

2. Re: Balcony. I would highly recommend the ocean view balcony vs. Central Park or Boardwalk. As others have mentioned, you don't get as much connection to the ocean. I didn't see many people out on their BW or CP balconies and really other than during the Aqua show, there isn't much going on to "watch". CP does have the concerts at night which would be nice, but no ocean view at all. I did notice on our sailing that the OV balconies really didn't differ much in price from CP, BW or even from the inside and ocean view rooms. I think because there are so many of them.

3. Room Service after hours is available, but we opted for Sorrento's or a snack from the Promenade Cafe after hours to take back to our room at those hours.

When we were on the Allure, on the day that we embarked, they had an area set up for show reservations. We just went down to where it was (some lower deck lounge place), and made them there. It was painless, just a short wait in a line. Not a big deal to not reserve in advance.

The time we were on was rainy, and they kept cancelling the OceanAria show and rescheduling it, so the hint to book that for early in the week is one to note.

We also always bring water on board. We did not on the Allure, because we love the free-style coke machines- which have Dasani with and without added flavors and also the sparkly Dasani Sensations, and Minute Maid Lite with added flavors, so that may be an option too.

You'll find lots of other freebies around- donuts in the morning on the Boardwalk, for example. You'll have lots of fun seeking these things out!

And I agree that a Boardwalk balcony is better for people watching, and Central Park is better for quiet.

When we were on the Allure, on the day that we embarked, they had an area set up for show reservations. We just went down to where it was (some lower deck lounge place), and made them there. It was painless, just a short wait in a line. Not a big deal to not reserve in advance.

The time we were on was rainy, and they kept cancelling the OceanAria show and rescheduling it, so the hint to book that for early in the week is one to note.

We also always bring water on board. We did not on the Allure, because we love the free-style coke machines- which have Dasani with and without added flavors and also the sparkly Dasani Sensations, and Minute Maid Lite with added flavors, so that may be an option too.

You'll find lots of other freebies around- donuts in the morning on the Boardwalk, for example. You'll have lots of fun seeking these things out!

And I agree that a Boardwalk balcony is better for people watching, and Central Park is better for quiet.

Free-style coke machines have Dasani water as well.. :D Well that solves the potential water problem!

That is the $6.50 per day per adult and $4.50 for our 14 yr old Soda package right?

Where can you refill your mug? At the free style machines only?

Edited by vacation_junkie

Free-style coke machines have Dasani water as well.. :D Well that solves the potential water problem!

That is the $6.50 per day Soda package right?

Where can you refill your mug? At the free style machines only?

Staff can refill wherever there ARE Soda Fountain Stations.

BUT The FreeStyle Coke Machines Scan for a (RF Chip or is it a Bar Code? Embeded in the Bottom of the Cup) You get with the Soda Packge or ANY of the ALL-Inclusive Packages

NOT All of the Royal Fleet HAS FreeStyle Coke Machines

the (Soda Fountian Package) Royal Refreshment WILL ONLY Include Dasani on ships that HAVE FreeStyle Coke Machines ON Oasis/Allure YES

For ships do NOT YOU Will have to Go with Royal Replenish Package @ $20.00USD/Day $20.80 CDN/Day

There is a Bottled Water Package BUT it starts @ 8 for 28.45 USD

Edited by Swath
Spelling Error & Forgot Info. in Post

Great to know... I'm writing that down. Hello fellow Canadian by the way!

Your Welcome

SWATH Waves at vacation_junkie from Toronto

The BV Catagory Room is a Boardwalk with ONLY a Window

CV is the same BUT in Central Park C1 & C2 are Central Park Balconies

I was on the first full cruise of the Breeze and got off the Allure yesterday. We were in a 12th deck Central Park balcony on a Western Caribbean cruise. I usually get an outside balcony but in our case it was an over $500 difference per person so we settled on the CP Balcony. At first I thought I would hate it because of the lack of privacy but it was really nice and quiet and relaxing and Central Park in the evening is beautiful and although would prefer the outside I would certainly stay in a CP balcony again.

I agree with all the other great information passed to you. Personally I think the Allure is a much nicer ship but there are a few things about the Breeze that I really liked especially all the food areas around the pool area because I like being able eat lunch without having to put on a shirt and shoes and the lunch choices on the Breeze were just better. That said the Allure beats the Breeze in just about every other area (except I am a bit partial to the Red Frog over the English and the cove balcony is my favorite of all time). And the one thing I did not like about the Allure (and I assume the Oasis) discussed earlier is the requirement/recommendation to have to make reservations for all the shows. It took a bit of the spontaneity out of the cruise. That said the shows overall were much better on the Allure. The same comedians are on the ship all week on the Allure and the Breeze had several different pairs and the Breeze Comedy club was a bit bigger.

I think your 13 year old will prefer the Allure because there is a never ending list of things to do and see for both the kids and adults.

Good luck in your planning.

The one thing I did not like about the Allure (and I assume the Oasis) discussed earlier is the requirement/recommendation to have to make reservations for all the shows. It took a bit of the spontaneity out of the cruise.

The reason for that is the amount Persons on the OASIS Class is 6296 MAX

Oranization

Without pre-registration thing could get Messy

U.S. Navy Aircraft Carriers Range 5680 to 6102 People

About the loss of spontaneity, just remember that on most cruises there is one big show each night. You usually go to dinner, and then look at your daily paper to see what's happening that evening, and go to that. (Or you look at the show time and arrange to go to any-time dinner at a time that allows for that.) It's not as if you have any control over when the other ships offer their shows. The only difference with pre-reserving your shows for the Allure was that you know what's showing each night ahead of time. We would go to our traditional main seating dinner, then hubby would ask me, what show are we going to tonight. It didn't feel like there was any difference in the spontaneity at all.

As noted in a post above, you can go to Entertainment Place, located on deck 5I believe, as soon as you board and make your reservations for the shows. My sister did this when she joined our cruise at the last minute and it worked out fine. They hold back a number of reservations. :)