Belize Lamanai Tour w/ RCCL

Roce48

We took the Lamanai Tour offered through RCCL during the 1st week of February.

We were one of the 1st groups tendered off the ship. We first started off with a 1 1/2 hour two lane bus ride to our boat. There also is a bathroom on the bus. The tour guide was very informative and entertaining as well. She spoke about the Belize government, culture, history, economy, and modern day society. You could tell that she really loved her country. She passed around items such as currency etc for us to view. She even sang us a song!

When we arrived at the boat area there was a shaded pavilion with seating, bathrooms, and cold water. Next we got into a covered motorized boat that if I am correct held about 20 people. Off we went on a often very fast 1 1/2 boat ride up the river to the Lamanai Ruins. Not much wildlife to see, but it was a beautiful ride. No bugs either! I mention this because in the brochure it mentions some might want to use a bug spray. When we were getting off the bus there was a young woman offering cans of bug spray. I figured that if I needed some spray that someone who paid $5 would gladly sell me some for a dollar.

Once we arrived at the Lamanai dock we had a chance to use the bathrooms, and purchase bottled water or soda for $1 dollar at the souvenir shop/hut. That was a deal! After a very short break, off we went for a 45 minute to one hour trek and tour (and I do mean trek) along rocky, uneven, rooted, and sometimes muddy paths through shaded jungle settings to the first Ruin. The guide on this portion of the tour was also informative; but I expected him to be so. He was with us from the start of the tour, as was the bus guide who was also the co-coordinator of the tour group. After visiting the Ruin I thought we were on our way back to the boat, but found out that we had 3 more even larger sites to see. This is an extensive, wonderfully beautiful tour!! Still no bugs. I did not use a bug spray either! Mosquitoes during the heat of the day are not usually a problem, just as I figured. They are usually prevalent at dusk and dawn.

After the Ruins, we had another bathroom break, and a very short time to buy souvenirs and water due to a delay at the beginning of the trip when we had to wait for a couple of people to get on the tender boat at the ship. They held up our entire tender departure.:mad:

Off on the 1 1/2 hour fast boat ride back to the thatched hut pavilion where we had a small buffet style lunch. Chicken, rice and beans, salad, yellow rice, cookies, and beverages. There was also a bar under the open pavilion where you could get a cold beer etc if you wanted.

Back on to the bus for another entertaining, informative ride back to the port. Once we got back we had a short time to buy souvenirs at the tourist Village before getting into a very long, but fast moving Tender line.

FYI - The Tender boat ride takes about 45 minutes each way.

FYI - Bring some $5's and $1's for tipping the two guides, bus drivers etc if you wish to do so. I can't remember if I tipped the boat driver. I think I tipped the guides $5 each, and the Bus Driver $3.

FYI - This trip is 7 1/2 hours long and not cheap. $109 pp

I would highly recommend this tour to my friend, but tell them to wear sturdy shoes for those paths.

Edited by Roce48

Thank you SO much!!! :D

We have this tour booked through NCL in a couple of weeks, and I have been dying to hear a recent review! I have been really worried about mosquitos, even wondering if we should wear long pants despite the heat. I know your experience doesn't assure us a bug-free day, but gives me hope. Were most people wearing shorts?

I also appreciate your reminder about taking small bills for tipping everyone who helps along the way. It sounds like lunch is very late. We'll have to make sure to have a hearty breakfast that morning! :)