Oasis Photo Review – All Dining and Drinks Menus - Daily Programs

Hello Hul13,

I am so grateful for the feedback and especially that you posted a link on your roll call. The more folk who read my review the happier I am! :)

If the dinner at Chops is at no cost to you, I would consider going and either upgrading to the Aged Steak or try something other than steak. Sounds silly I know to go to a Steak House and avoid the steak. :D Maybe one of the other items on the menu would appeal to you. The place does have a nice atmosphere and the service was good. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

megacruiser

I have usually been pleased with my steaks at Chops. Is it Mortons or Flemmings? No, but I usually find it pretty good. If you aren't satisfied with your steak send it back!

I have commented previously but will do so again to say I am still "Following"!!

I also am in the April 5 roll call and my friend Jay and I have extolled your virtues to our soon-to-be shipmates. Your legend grows daily!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Right now in Ohio it is 19 degrees with a wind chill of 7...so I could take the "cold" of the 60's right about now! ;-)

Haha yeah it's about 25 degrees here, so quite cold too! But if it's in the 60s I don't know if I'd want to be on the beach.

DSCF5618_zps89b46ea2.jpg

My original intention was to dine in the main dining room on this night, Thursday. So unlike all my other speciality restaurant reservations, this one was not made online in advance.

The reason for my change of plans was I had made a cursory check on this forum to find that Day 6 Dinner was recommended as one of the best. What I didn’t realise was that the contributor was referring to the Eastern itinerary, on which Day 6 is a sea day and the second Formal night. On the Western itinerary the second Formal night is Day 5, and on that night the menu that I was seeking was served, so I had missed it. When I think back on Chops that night I am pretty sure the MDR meal would have surpassed it by far. So to be clear, and I did check this with a Head Waiter, the Western and Eastern menu order is identical, with the exception that the Wednesday night is alternated with the Thursday night to correspond with the second sea day and Formal night.

So when I checked the menu on display outside Opus 5, I realised my mistake and, being a bit disappointed with it, decided to try for Giovanni’s Table. I had no problem getting a reservation although I recall having to accept a slightly different time from my exact preference.

The main difference between the old Portofino speciality restaurants and Giovanni’s Table if that Portofino purported to be “fine dining” and had a more formal atmosphere, and was a bit starchy. Whereas Giovanni’s Table has a more rustic feel, rather more like a Trattoria and the service is more relaxed with waiters dressed in open neck shirts and black aprons. So some may say the metamorphosis that took place is more akin to retrocession than evolution, but it’s the enjoyment of the food on the plate that most matters to me; not so much the surroundings. I can certainly do without oppressively over-attentive service that can sometimes accompany upscale dining.

There is the option to dine al fresco.

Giovannievepeopleoutside_zpsccb0180a.jpg

They say the food is served “family style”, which I think means you can order lots of dishes to be brought out to the table for sharing. Any time I have been we have always ordered just the individual dishes we want, as that has always been our preference. Interestingly some of the dishes have survived from Portofino; in particular some of my favourites from the past like the Cioppino Seafood Soup, the Veal Ossobuco and the Lamp Chops.

Day5MenusOasis168_zpsa4447116.jpg

Day5MenusOasis173_zpsf94131a3.jpg

So it is no surprise that I opted for two of those, namely the soup and the chops but first I ordered the Capesante Al Forno, which are oven-baked scallops. Whilst I was waiting, oil and balsamic with Parmesan was brought to accompany the bread which, much as I love it, I do not eat...

GiovanniOilBalsamic_zpsc628af3d.jpg

DSCF4947_zps463608a2.jpg

When the scallops arrived I thought - this is a masterclass on how to make food look unappetising, a kind of study in beige...

DSCF4919_zpsc85fd6ae.jpg

Unfortunately the almond “crust” wasn’t really a crust at all. This coating was rather like soggy breadcrumbs and it added nothing whatever to the scallops so I peeled it off entirely to reveal perfectly nicely cooked scallops within. I wish I had gone for the Eggplant Parmigiana; it always delivers...

Next, was one of my real favourites, Cioppino Con Pesce Mesto. A shellfish soup made with a tomato base with a flavour not dissimilar to Bouillabaisse. The plate of predominantly mussels, squid and queenie scallops is brought to the table with a large crouton on top. The waiter than pours the intensely fishy liquor on top.

DSCF4921_zps406f5583.jpg

This is delicious. Perhaps the squid was a bit overcooked but still a very well devised soup delivering depth of flavour with no nasty edges like bitterness or acidity – just well balanced.

The Lamb Chops were ok; a little bit tough to be honest and having had these at least twice before I reckon the lamb just had not been sourced well.

GiovanniLambChops_zpsdda75ba0.jpg

Inside cooked pink just as I like…

GiovanniLambChopsinside_zps12d75c70.jpg

I don’t think it was incorrect cooking to blame but the actual meat, and it could easily have been a one off.

Tiramisu has become rather ubiquitous as a dessert in Italian restaurants. If prepared with a generous coffee liqueur content and a lightness to the consistency, it can be very good but last time I had it at Giovanni’s the mascarpone cheese richness dominated it and it needed counterbalanced with some sharpness, say from crème fraiche whipped into the cheese. So it is off my list. On another occasion, I had the Cannoli that I enjoyed. This time I selected the Zuppa Inglese, which was like a partially deconstructed trifle with rich custard, sponge and berries. It wasn’t too heavy and finished the meal off to my liking.

GiovanniZuppeInglese_zpsf273bf54.jpg

During the course of the meal I got chatting to an off duty musician who had ordered steak. We spoke about Chops and he concurred with my view and said he felt the steak here was better. Of course it was accompanied by a red wine sauce, which may have helped. A couple sat on the other side of him and the husband had volunteered virtually verbatim just what I had said about Chops steak, so I am not alone.

When all is said and done this was a better meal overall, even though there were a few issues. The value for money at $25 is indisputable and I recommend it even though this particular experience was not quite as good as my previous ones, so I may have been a little unlucky.

Sorry the clock has beaten me and the review of Come Fly With Me will follow tomorrow morning. Thanks to all following and especially to those spreading the word to roll calls. Much appreciated.

The prices look about the same as the Starbucks right around the corner from my house in suburban Philadelphia!

Hi musik07,

Sorry there seems to be a misperception. I don't know the price of Starbucks coffee in the USA, so I wasn't implying anything, hence the :confused:. I was just curious as to the reason why the staff tried to stop me taking photos of the price menu. So if the prices are reasonable, then I am still none the wiser.

Regards

megacruiser

It was then off to the Opal Theatre for Come Fly With Me, the only production show other than the full scale musical, Hairspray. The cast of singers and performers were very good. The show itself has been written as a vehicle to feature certain songs and primarily to showcase the skills of the dancers and aerial performers and there are lots of acrobatics. There is no real story; it is a spectacular show that entertains through its pace and high energy.

These photos are merely intended to give an idea of the style and progression of the show...

TheatreProductionshow4_zps6125fc06.jpg

TheatreProductionshow2_zps057698fe.jpg

TheatreProductionshow16_zps5073581e.jpg

TheatreProductionshow14_zps123209a9.jpg

TheatreProductionshow18_zps9336f431.jpg

TheatreProductionshow17_zps952bb5f4.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

I'm following... Wondeful review!

Going on Oasis for the first time 15 March. Tell me, what is the "secret balcony" on deck 11? I've not heard of it.

Hello gatoraviator,

The secret balconies are at the very aft of Deck 11 on both port and starboard sides. After all the cabins there is a door round a little corner at the end of the corridor that leads onto a balcony (actually just deck space that looks like a big balcony) and is accessible to all. It seems that the shape of the superstructure, with beams etc, means that space couldn't readily be incorporated into a cabin balcony.

The balcony has views out to sea on one side and across the Aquatheater to the other side. Those in the know use it for sailaways, great views and quiet relaxation. There are about 20 or so deck chairs there.

Hope this helps and others may wish to add to or clarify this.

Thanks for your feedback too.

megacruiser

Edited by megacruiser

Following, following, following! I just discovered your review today, and have spent a lovely afternoon catching up on your cruise. We will be on Oasis in May and I am now more excited than ever! Thank you for putting in the time and effort to include us on your trip.

Hello gatoraviator,

The secret balconies are at the very aft of Deck 11 on both port and starboard sides. After all the cabins there is a door round a little corner at the end of the corridor that leads onto a balcony (actually just deck space that looks like a big balcony) and is accessible to all. It seems that the shape of the superstructure, with beams etc, means that space couldn't readily be incorporated into a cabin balcony.

The balcony has views out to sea on one side and across the Aquatheater to the other side. Those in the know use it for sailaways, great views and quiet relaxation. There are about 20 or so deck chairs there.

Hope this helps and others may wish to add to or clarify this.

Thanks for your feedback too.

megacruiser

Mega Cruiser I'm folling ...

The secret balconies on deck 11 also are on deck 12 and 14,although smaller as the decks go up. These decks were also a great place to have a bottle of wine as the sun sets.

Like everyone else I am still following your daily adventures. You have given so many great pointers and things a first timer cruiser would never even think of.

Only 31 more days until we head down to FFL. Everyday you post is one less day until we leave. Thank you. It was o degrees F this morning in Norther Ohio. I am really ready to thaw out.