How's the coffee?

J_Viggy

I'm a self professed coffee snob. I actually like the coffee Carnival provides. Now it might just be that it tastes better when I don't have to make it and it gets brought to my room every morning. For some reason, my after dinner coffee in the MDR goes really well with what ever dessert I'm having that night.

I do have 1-2 speciality coffees every day just because I like them and I'm on vacation. I don't do that at home but I always have fresh coffee on hand because I do like my coffee.

Coffee is coffee to me, but the specialty coffee or the one purchased at the coffee bar taste better than the free stuff. Either works for me, and I buy a specialty coffee once to twice onboard also, usually when I get one of those huge pieces piece of cheesecake, strawberry short cake or carrot cake which I share, as it's enough for 2-3 people to eat!!!

I don't like it at all. I bring along some good coffee and an AeroPress. Look it up on Amazon. It's a bit like a french press but much neater. It compresses the coffee into a solid little puck that shoots right into the wastewater, then a quick rinse. A carafe of hot water is all you need.

Hi!

Wondering how the coffee on board is? Bearable? Or should I include buying specialty coffee in my budget? :)

Thanks!

Seriously, budget in the coffee from the coffee shop. I can't drink the coffee in either the MDR or on the Lido Deck. It was only $1.73 (roughly) for a small regular coffee last week at the coffee shops on the Pride. And, I also bring on my own coffee and creamer packets to make in my room in the morning if I don't want to run to the coffee bar. The coffee shops have some really good spiked coffees, too. Zydecocruiser probably has a coffee shop menu on his website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but when you order room service coffee to be brought to you in the morning is it in a carafe or in cups? If a carafe how many cups in the pot? Just want to make sure I have a good start to my morning on the balcony:)

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but when you order room service coffee to be brought to you in the morning is it in a carafe or in cups? If a carafe how many cups in the pot? Just want to make sure I have a good start to my morning on the balcony:)

The coffee comes in a carafe. It's enough for DH and I to each have 2 cups.

We ordered 4 coffees & 4 teas on our last cruise to get the carafe of each, if you order less it comes in a cup ( at least that was our experience).

Happy Sailing!!!

Kindle Fire using Taptalk app

I don't mind the coffee in MDR or Lido, actually I like it. Then again i like all coffee. I can say the only bad coffee I have ever had was on a United flight in the 80's when the bottom 1/4 of the cup was coffee grounds.

I am a big coffee drinker and I DID NOT drink much coffee on my last cruise at all.

I have been satisfied with the "free" coffee on some cruises and not so satisfied on others....all Carnival by the way.

I did find that, for whatever reason, room service coffee was the best coffee I had all week on my most recent cruise.

If you order room service "for two" you will get one carafe. This is just barely enough for 2 people to have 2 of the small cups in my opinion. Usually when I order room service coffee I request service for 4 - or 2 carafe - and make sure you specify the "sides" you want. I like cream my fiend likes milk. They brought actual cartons of milk for my friend. I like sweet and lo and my friend prefers regular sugar. Always ask for what you want specifically as far as milk/cream or sugar/sweetener goes.

I usually budget some money for the "paid" coffee at the cafe.....sometimes I use it and sometimes I don't. Be prepared and plan ahead and then you wont be sorry either way!:)

I am not a coffee snob, but my wife is so I have good coffee around and can tell the difference. My only experience is on the Fascination. The Lido deck coffee is decent. Its machine made and consistent. MDR was hit or miss. First night I asked for coffee w/dessert and could see the bottom of the cup through it (when full). Horrible. Couple of nights later, coffee was fine (although I would never have called any of it "strong".) Didn't have room service coffee. Didn't do specialty coffee. I drink coffee black.

My wife did not like the coffee at all. If its important to you, I'd suggest taking your own as suggested above. If you don't want to lug a press along, my wife likes the starbucks VIA packets that you just add to hot water and stir. That's what she carries when we travel.

The coffee available from the Lido is a concentrate that is mixed with hot water. It will do in a pinch, but it's not "good" coffee IMO. Ask for an "Americano" at the coffee bar and it will be much better. If you rise before the coffee bar opens (6:30-7:00), then I suggest you bring some Starbucks VIA and add it to hot water from the Lido.

Brother and I always head down to the Lido deck way before wives get up. The first couple of cups on the first day take some getting use to it. After that, it doesn't taste that bad. But neither one of us are coffee snobs.

I will say one thing about it though, make sure there is a bathroom close by. It definately cleans out your system if you know what I mean. :eek:

I use to hate Carnival's coffee, would have half a cup and add half a cup of hot water to it. Dh was worse, he refused to drink it.

That being said, I was quite surprised on the Conquest in Dec. that the coffee on the lido deck was actually quite good. They had changed it from our cruises before. DH even liked it.

Totally agree with the folks here - hit or miss - but I do try it every time to see where I land with it LOL. That being said, Starbucks Via can be your friend in these cases - I bring those just in case and we are sorted. DH always says the speciality coffees are good - he is a latte

Drinker.

And yes, mark for the extra servings - that ensures you get enough water/coffee - can't wait to enjoy that on our aft balcony in four weeks!

Hi!

Wondering how the coffee on board is? Bearable? Or should I include buying specialty coffee in my budget? :)

Thanks!

Carnival's free coffee used to be terrible, but I think it has improved in the past year or so. It is doable. The specialty coffee is better, but not fabulous.

Hi!

Thanks!

What kind of coffee do you drink normally?

How do you prepare it?

I ask because by the time my husband has added sugar & milk, he can tolerate anything.

If you drink it black, IMHO you should prepare to buy specialty coffee.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

and make sure you specify the "sides" you want. I like cream my fiend likes milk. They brought actual cartons of milk for my friend. I like sweet and lo and my friend prefers regular sugar. Always ask for what you want specifically as far as milk/cream or sugar/sweetener goes.

Regarding the sides, my husband and I are splenda people. Anyone know if they have splenda on Carnival ships?

What kind of coffee do you drink normally?

How do you prepare it?

I ask because by the time my husband has added sugar & milk, he can tolerate anything.

If you drink it black, IMHO you should prepare to buy specialty coffee.

Dunkin Donuts coffee is what I usually drink, with cream and splenda. I suppose if I add enough cream anything can taste good lol.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

Regarding the sides, my husband and I are splenda people. Anyone know if they have splenda on Carnival ships?

They have yellow, pink and blue packets but I don't remember if it had Splenda spelled out. We are also Splenda users so I pack it just to be on the safe side. I also pack Flavored non dairy creamer (powder) because I like the taste and don't want to pay for the specialty coffee.

Happy Sailing!!

Edited by Buffalofirsttimer4

We bring some packets and drink what's on board. I bring honey for my tea and chocolate powder for my coffee, although Hubby likes his black. I also bring my own sweetener. I'm kind of picky about drinks, and I don't mind the regular or decaf on board, they are both fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app