Rollaway beds??

Loviecld

susiecruisie- I started a thread on rollaway several months ago and had very little luck from people who have actually had them. Basically I was told when open at night it would take up pretty much all the floor space then folded up during the day it would be "possible" to get around it, but it would still take up a lot of room.

I will definitely post how it works out. We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in October and have a rollaway for our Aloha Deck balcony room.

I am also looking to alternatives to the rollaway since our 3 & 4th passengers are children. :eek:

• 1 year later...

Any news on the rollaway? How did it work....?

I have a three person cabin w/ a possible roll away and I am very nervous about the room. Has anyone ever brought an inflatable air mattress with them and refused the rollaway? I'm thinking this might be a better alternative then the other... You could always store it in the closet when not in use (the mattress, that is).

We had one rollaway and one upper bunk (for our 2 kids)...I forgot which cruise line. The rollaway was set up between the two lower twin beds, to make essentially one giant bed. Each bed had it's own bedding, so it was not quite the same as a "family bed". The bed was kept in the middle of the twin beds for the entire cruise, but did not pose a problem for us....by the way, this was done in an inside quad, so only a little extra floor space away from the bed(s) area.

We had a BC balcony on the Caribbean Princess with a "rollaway" bed. The room was two lower beds, one bunk, then the "rollway" which was more like a trundle bed came out from under one of the lower beds. The "rollaway" is smaller (shorter) than the standard bed and most likely wouldn't be too comfortable for an adult (but was fine for my 2 year old). We ended up pushing the two lower beds together then the "rollaway" was next to those, so it looked like one big bed but with individual bedding. We were still able to get by the giant bed to get to the balcony, but it was tight. The room steward put the "rollaway" back under the bed during the daytime, then we had plenty of room. We had two adults and two children in the room. I wouldn't try this with 4 adults....:eek:

I hope this helps.

We had a BC balcony on the Caribbean Princess with a "rollaway" bed. The room was two lower beds, one bunk, then the "rollway" which was more like a trundle bed came out from under one of the lower beds. The "rollaway" is smaller (shorter) than the standard bed and most likely wouldn't be too comfortable for an adult (but was fine for my 2 year old). We ended up pushing the two lower beds together then the "rollaway" was next to those, so it looked like one big bed but with individual bedding. We were still able to get by the giant bed to get to the balcony, but it was tight. The room steward put the "rollaway" back under the bed during the daytime, then we had plenty of room. We had two adults and two children in the room. I wouldn't try this with 4 adults....:eek:

I hope this helps.

We sailed the Crown in July and they wanted to give us a rollaway. It would have blocked the whole area to get onto the balcony. The steward said, "oh, we will only bring it during sleep times", well, that was not acceptable due to the fact that my children like to take naps, aside from "sleep times". So, we changed our cabins. In my opinion, it would have been tight if we stayed, like climbing over the rollaway to get outside. I don't know why so many ships are doing this instead of the drop down beds. If anyone knows, please enlighten me.

:) Susie

susie - did you have to pay a lot to get the upgrade and was it easy to come by? I'm afraid that if I wait too long, then all the larger cabins might be taken.

If someone can enlighten me - I would be very appreciative.

I did not pay any extra for an upgrade, but my ship did have empty rooms. The only thing was , we had to move very aft, as opposed to the mid-ship cabin we had. They gave us a balcony, and across was an inside cabin. There were no quads available. We enjoyed having the 2 cabins in the long run.If you really don't want the rollaway, you should contact them asap, just to see if there are any options. Happy Cruising!!

Archived