Canadian cruisers and bags

stsbj

I will be cruising from Miami on the Epic in April with my family and will probably have about 4 large suitcases. When we disembark in Miami we will have the whole day to explore and enjoy before flying home to Toronto. We'd like to do this with out dragging the bags with us. The NCL "Bags" program sounded perfect for us as a way to rid ourselves of our luggage for the day, but unfortunately it is not available for international flights.

We realize we can go to the airport early and check our bags, but would prefer not to waste our time and cab money on going to and from the airport twice that day. Do any Canadians/international travellers have suggestions or ideas of where we can store our bags for the day? Thanks!

Don't know if this will work with you or not, but this was what we did.

For our cruise from NYC last year, we went in a day in advance and stayed at a Marriott in Times square. We asked at checkout if there was any way we could leave our bags with them on disembarkation day, since we had like 6 hours to kill. It was fine with them.

We just tipped the one returning our bags.....worked out great.

I would consider renting a car. That will give you a place to store bags. That will also give you transportation around Miami to do whatever. You then have transportation back to the airport.

All for about the cost of just one taxi.

I'd say rent-a-car and see if they'll pick you up at the terminal upon debarkation.

Just so you know...

We realize we can go to the airport early and check our bags...!

It really depends on how early you're going to be. I don't know about Westjet, but I suspect their restrictions are very similar to Air Canada's.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/checkin.html

Although you can check in as early as 24 hours before your flight, please note that baggage may only be checked in at the baggage drop-off counter at the earliest: four (4) hours prior to departure for flights from Canada or the U.S.

Last April, we rented a car after our cruise. Pick-up was a very short taxi ride from the port and then we returned it at the Fort Lauderdale airport that evening. Our flight didn't leave until around 7:00 pm so this gave us lots of flexibility to do what we wanted without much worry/stress.

This time we are actually flying home from Miami airport mid-afternoon so we decided to do the Everglades air boat excursion through the cruise line as it is something fun to do that we have never done before and NCL will take care of our bags.

I think it depends on your flight time as to what will actually work best for you. :)

When packing, keep in mind airline weight limits and charges. Sometimes two smaller bags is cheaper than one overweight one.

Agreed...we are a family of 5, and we're bringing "medium-ish" bags for exactly that reason.

It really depends on how early you're going to be. I don't know about Westjet, but I suspect their restrictions are very similar to Air Canada's

I hadn't thought about that, but you're absolutely right. We're flying on AC at 8pm, so would still be stuck.

Thank you garycarla and hazelnut68 for the car rental idea, I hadn't even considered it, but you may be right in that it ends up being cheapest and most convenient.

[

This time we are actually flying home from Miami airport mid-afternoon so we decided to do the Everglades air boat excursion through the cruise line as it is something fun to do that we have never done before and NCL will take care of our bags."

We did this same thing last Feb after sailing on the Epic. It worked out PERFECTLY. Bags were taken care of and we were dropped off at the airport. We loved the excursion as well. Our fav. of that cruise.

I highly recommend:) this as the easiest way to take care of logistics and get a nice tour in post cruise. It does a driving panoramic tour of Miami then heads out to the glades for an airboat ride in the ever glades and finishes with a little "show" with the gater trainer and some of their gaters. Educational and a lot of fun.

Last April, we rented a car after our cruise. Pick-up was a very short taxi ride from the port and then we returned it at the Fort Lauderdale airport that evening. Our flight didn't leave until around 7:00 pm so this gave us lots of flexibility to do what we wanted without much worry/stress.

This time we are actually flying home from Miami airport mid-afternoon so we decided to do the Everglades air boat excursion through the cruise line as it is something fun to do that we have never done before and NCL will take care of our bags.

I think it depends on your flight time as to what will actually work best for you. :)

How on earth do you get a rental on a Sunday? Everything is closed I thought. We wanted to rent a car from Everglades going to Port of Miami, but there is nowhere to drop the car off because its a Sunday. Is this just a port thing or can you only do it from the airports?

How on earth do you get a rental on a Sunday? Everything is closed I thought. We wanted to rent a car from Everglades going to Port of Miami, but there is nowhere to drop the car off because its a Sunday. Is this just a port thing or can you only do it from the airports?

Why would they be closed just because it's Sunday? Sundays are HUGE turnover days for cruises in Miami and I can't imagine a business that caters to travelers would be closed. I've never had any problem renting or returning rental cars on Sunday in Miami. The downtown offices have always been open and I'm pretty sure the airport site never closes.

I did a quick search, and yes you can get a rental on a Sunday, but as it's Easter Sunday that We're returning, they're only open 9-1.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, we now have several options to consider!