Miami - Good Value and close to port

Dafunky1

I'm looking for a steal! We are arriving into MIA on Dec 9th and will be departing from port on Dec 10th. Would like to check into a hotel that provides us the best overall value:

-"Lower" nightly rate

- Close to restaurant and some activities for Fri night/Saturday morning.

-Transfer from airport

-Transfer to port

Any suggestions?!

I booked the Four Points Miami Beach for $55 per night on Priceline for October. It's a 3-star and it's right on the beach so I figure the teenagers will enjoy that.

Prior to this, we have always stayed at the Holiday Inn in Miami Springs because they provide complimentary shuttle to/from Miami airport and to/from the Miami cruise port. This has saved us tons of money in transportation fees and I usually get my rooms there for around $60 per night. The hotel has a resturant, dancing, room service and a store for any incidentals you may have forgotten to pack for your cruise. If you stay here, please be sure to get a room in the "newer" portion of the hotel. I always have and the rooms are fine. I have heard however, that the older portion of the hotel leaves much to be desired.

Good luck,

Tracey

My late husband used to travel 18 states. I would book most of his air/car/hotel reservations as I ALWAYS found better rates than the company TA. My grown kids refer to me as MOM, the TA in spite of the fact that I am a microbiologist and have worked in my field for >20 years. Just found my youngest DD’s honeymoon cruise for this Dec 3 weeks ago. IS GTY has gone up about $50 since I made her book.

As a few general rules of thumb:

If you have not booked your air also check into going into FLL, frequently cheaper and cruise line transfers are about $17.50 pp. I have gotten mid-size car rentals for $30/day. There are NO drop off charges anywhere in FL. Some auto rental companies do run a shuttle from MIA to the pier, NOT Budget or National (Alamo & thrifty come to mind as do Hertz and Avis)

airport/business district hotel locations are significantly cheaper on weekends

airport hotels provide shuttle service to/from airport ONLY, no pier service

downtown/business district hotels provide NO shuttle of ANY kind

airport/business district hotels have VERY few area resturants open on weekends except those in/attached to the hotel (generally very $$$)

airport hotels DO NOT charge for parking a vehicle, business district/downtown do, significantly

airport hotels have NO activities nearby except an attached pool/workout room for some/most

airport/pier or downtown/business MIA taxi is a flat rate. Check the board at the airport. It was $20 to downtown 11/02 so I would bet $25 now plus more if more than 2 people. I had a driver who tried to charge meter. Guess what his “tip” was.

Do book a cancelable reservation and then try Priceline.

When booking your cancelable hotel reservation check into all specials you qualify for: senior (sometimes as low as 50 y/o), AAA, AARP, Entertainment, specific credit cards.

Archived