forgive me - bev pkg question: does classic alcohol include all non-alcoholic options

kroberst

Just reviewing the bev pkg inclusions and see the notation from Celebrity's site that the Classic alcohol package allows you "... to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving." (my emphasis) They go on to describe the premium alcohol package in terms of the Premium Non-Alcoholic package.

I had presumed (wrongly?) that the packages increased in order so that the Classic Alcoholic package provided as part of 123Go would include the items from the Premium Non-Alcoholic option. But based on this wording, it seems one would need to upgrade to the Premium alcoholic package for the specialty coffees (I'm thinking lattes or cappuccinos from Al Bacio - nothing with alcohol).

So, I need to upgrade my 123Go promo to have the cheaper package options available? Is this correct?

K

No you don't need to upgrade it. The classic alcohol package includes drinks from the classic non alcohol package, the premium alcohol package includes drinks from the premium non alcohol package :)

The classic non alcohol package includes the coffees you mentioned (and more espresso based coffee, hot chocolate,Iglu drinks, water, soda, freshly squeezed OJ and bottled juices) from cafe al Bacio and other venues you don't need a premium package for those.

Edited by DebbieMacG

I asked on the phone when booking and the sales rep told me that it was just premium bottled water, vitamin water and red bull that wasn't included in the non alcoholic section.

Since cocktails and frozen drinks are included up to $8, she said that also includes virgin drinks in those categories.

Most of the specialty coffees in Cafe El Bacio are around $6.00 so they are covered by the classic package. Waters such as San Pellagrino and Evian are not covered by the classic package but they are with the Premium. I also found that if you order a cranberry and San Pellegrino at the bar with the classic package, they will use a small bottle and give you the drink. I was also refused by other bar tenders so it may be a crap shoot. Large bottles of Evian and San Pellagrino require the premium package.

There has been an open question both as to whether the classic alcohol package includes specialty coffees and what the difference is between a specialty coffee and a premium coffee is. In any event there is no question that the classic package includes your basic espresso based coffees including latte, cappuccino and others. I inquired on two cruises last year whether it includes some of the fancier coffees and got conflicting answers. Here is a repeat of a post I made last year with my findings:

Short answer, depending on the staff on your cruise most, and possibly all, of the coffees will be covered under the classic plan:There is a lot of confusion and inconsistency on what a specialty coffee is and if it is included in the classic vs. premium package or not.

Here is a copy of the Cafe al Bacio menu (
. On the Silhouette in December 2012 I specifically asked which coffees are NOT covered by the classic package and was told that everything is included in the classic package except the coffees on page 5 of the menu under "Other Favorites" and those on page 6 under "More Favorites". I asked the same question on the Eclipse in March 2013 and was told that ALL the coffees listed in the menu were covered by the classic package. Bottom line: All the standard, or slightly fancy, coffees are included in both packages including espresso, latte, mocha, cappuccino and others. Certain coffees which include some extra ingredients may or may not be covered by the classic package depending on the interpretation of the rules on your particular sailing so you won't know for sure until you sail.

There are some other non-alcoholic beverage differences between the classic and premium packages. The ones I'm familiar with are that the Premium package includes Evian bottled water as well as sparkling water (Pellegrino and Perrier) while the classic package includes whatever brand of water they happen to source on that cruise which they call non-premium bottled water. The classic also does not include any sparkling water although you might be able to get cans of club soda as it does include cans of soda pop.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks everyone, it's unfortunate the packages don't work incrementally. My preference would normally be the premium non-alcoholic but selected the beverage package promo (with upgrade) for dh. I figured the classic would cover me for my usual pick but I suppose missing bottled waters isn't that big a deal.:rolleyes:

I can always upgrade on board if I suddenly develop a taste for Perrier ;)

K

Thanks for the great explanations but I have one further question that I'm sure has been a topic of conversation but thought that maybe one of you could answer. With the classic or premium drink package what do you do about tipping the bartender is it included as well or do you still sign for your drinks and add the gratuity on

Thanks for the great explanations but I have one further question that I'm sure has been a topic of conversation but thought that maybe one of you could answer. With the classic or premium drink package what do you do about tipping the bartender is it included as well or do you still sign for your drinks and add the gratuity on

The standard 15% tip is included in theprice of the beverage package. One of the things I like about the packages is not having to sign all of those slips! As long as what you order is included in your package all they do is swipe your seapass and return it to you.

If I want to add an extra tip, I just put a couple of dollars on the bar or the servers tray.

Shannon