Tipping Butler in the Suites

Cruzin Fool

Sorry to create a new thread but it seems the search tool is no longer available in this forum...

I was hoping to find out how much people tend to tip the butler and the concierge when staying in the suites? We don't want to be cheap but at the same time we don't have a ton of expendable cash due to a recent illness...

Any input would be welcome as we depart on Sunday :D

This varies widely.... but for a 7 day cruise we start with about $100 for the butler, and $50 for the conceirge and edit accordingly. That would be for typical use (Butler- delivering a few meals to room- maybe one breakfast, and one dinner-, bringing the daily treats, along with some cookies at night for the kids as a standing order- Concierge: making dinner reservations, priorty embarkation, disembarkation especially if we've used it at the ports, or if they've solved any "issues" for us such as problems spa appointments, or shore excursions. In Alaska, our kids were younger, and the port times were funky, so we had more dinners in the room- and the tip was double that (plus he was EXCELLENT). On the Star once, the conceirge was really unavailable, and we never used her, and I don't think we tipped her at all (we literally never saw her).

Some people use guidelines like $10 per day for butler, $5 for concierge... others say that should be PER PERSON.... it's reallly up to you and how much you use them.

Some good answers. This whole tipping the butler and concierge is always a difficult one.

And thank you so much for not responding with "you should tip commensurate with the service". I find that response about as helpful as "tip the appropriate amount".

Along with the search hint above, the following also seems to work for those that can remember the proper syntax:

cruisecritic.com butler

It appears to give the same or similar response.

I budget $10 per day per person for the Butler and $5 per day per person for the Concierge. I would then add for above and beyond service and delete for less than satisfactory service.

So you would, for a family of 5 in a 2BR Villa, budget $350 for butler and $175 for concierge as a starting point for a 7 day cruise? $525 in addition to the $420 DSC plus extra tips to the steward and kids club personnel, plus auto 15% for drinks all seems a little much... I know that tipping is personal and there really is no wrong answer except skipping out all together, but that guideline seems to be pretty excessive IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

OP:

Just do whatever you feel is best. Definitely don't leave them without a tip, but obviously only you and you alone will be able to judge what the butler deserves when you near the end of your cruise.

I also tip the Room Steward who always does a great job cleaning the suite, as well as the Courtyard Attendants (if you're in the Haven) as they also work hard to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable.

The Concierge I usually tip based on how often I use their services, which is very little.

Have a great cruise! No matter what, you are sure to get spoiled with the Suite perks on any Norwegian ship!

Edited by CTCruiser001

So you would, for a family of 5 in a 2BR Villa, budget $350 for butler and $175 for concierge as a starting point for a 7 day cruise? $525 in addition to the $420 DSC plus extra tips to the steward and kids club personnel, plus auto 15% for drinks all seems a little much... I know that tipping is personal and there really is no wrong answer except skipping out all together, but that guideline seems to be pretty excessive IMO.

And, all this after paying double what a balcony would cost.

OP:

Just do whatever you feel is best. Definitely don't leave them without a tip, but obviously only you and you alone will be able to judge what the butler deserves when you near the end of your cruise. ...

The reason the OP asked is they do not know what "is best" and wanted an idea of what to do.

Edited by garycarla

Family of 5 would not fit into a single balcony, so multiply times 2 then it comes out a little closer, so why not upgrade?

I will never understand the idea of taking one cruise for the price that 2 or 3 would be (on the same ship, even!) simply so that someone can bring me food and stuff. I'm at a loss. I do understand when it's larger families wanting or needing the space.

I will never understand the idea of taking one cruise for the price that 2 or 3 would be (on the same ship, even!) simply so that someone can bring me food and stuff. I'm at a loss. I do understand when it's larger families wanting or needing the space.

I think that people that can afford it enjoy the VIP service. It makes the vacation that much more special. You certainly don't need the VIP treatment but just like beer you can buy the domestic cheap stuff or go all out and get the imported specialty brews.

Roughly yes, for the butler, but for the concierge, we budget $10 per cabin per day. I say roughly because there are always variations. Two weeks with my kids (total 4) in one cabin, tipped the butler roughly $750 (in the Garden Villa, he was amazing), last time with kids, 6 people in two cabins nine days - $250 to one butler and $175 to the other. Three people one week - roughly $200 each time. Bringing and setting up made to order breakfast for five or six is much more difficult than bringing it for two, plus they have been amazing at keeping track of everyone's individual preferences.. I've been very lucky with butlers.

Concierge ranges have been all over the place though - from $5 total per day to $25 total per day per cabin. Making a reservation for six requires the same single phone call that two people would be. Some concierge's make the cruise amazing, others are just "eh"...

Robin

We don't get to vacation as often as we'd like (sometimes one week per year, other times more), so when we do, we make it the best experience we can. Love the suites, love the amenities, love the peace and quiet (we are cabin hermits).

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I based mine on one or two people in a suite. In your situation, I would probably do $10 per day for the first 2 and maybe a total of $15 a day for the last three (a total of $35 a day for all 5)...in other words $245 for the Butler and $125 for the Concierge and then add on if you are requiring a lot of extra things. It really depends on how much you use the Butler and Concierge, which you would know better than me what your expectations are as far as they are concerned. If you use the Butler a lot (like a lot of room services), I would up the $35 a day. Just MHO!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I backed out of a suite one year for this reason. I posted the same question, with 5 in my party, and got the same answers. I didn't want to wreck my butlers chances of getting $$ he/she is used to / deserves, so I moved to 2 balconies. I preferred to spend $600 elsewhere. It seems to be the norm $10 per day per person + extra for above and beyond.

But yes....its a very personal choice. Tip whatever you would like to.

I travel with my elderly mom. I want my own separate space. Why book 2 balconies with single supplements when we can book a 2 room suite. Mom is a total night owl. Loves tv on and snores. I am, well... The opposite.

Before suites I was mom's butler and concierge. Now I get to relax and get pampered too.

I hate buffets and enjoy the ambience, menu and calmness of the suite breakfast and lunch.

I could go on... But this is a glimpse of why I would rather cruise in a suite than 2 or 3 times as often not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that people that can afford it enjoy the VIP service. It makes the vacation that much more special. You certainly don't need the VIP treatment but just like beer you can buy the domestic cheap stuff or go all out and get the imported specialty brews.

I understand. For what it's worth, we could afford it, but unlike many, I don't think that would make my vacation any more special, so I choose to spend my money elsewhere. It's just a personal preference. I don't look down on those who book suites, just like I assume suite people don't think their trip is more special than mine, despite what was just written.

There are lots of reasons for booking one, like the poster who described traveling with her mom. There are also those who do it because it gives them the false impression that they have more money than others. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I travel with my elderly mom. I want my own separate space. Why book 2 balconies with single supplements when we can book a 2 room suite. Mom is a total night owl. Loves tv on and snores. I am, well... The opposite.

Before suites I was mom's butler and concierge. Now I get to relax and get pampered too.

I hate buffets and enjoy the ambience, menu and calmness of the suite breakfast and lunch.

I could go on... But this is a glimpse of why I would rather cruise in a suite than 2 or 3 times as often not.

That's wonderful that you guys do that! I I wish I could talk my mom into cruising, but she won't.

We don't get to vacation as often as we'd like (sometimes one week per year, other times more), so when we do, we make it the best experience we can. Love the suites, love the amenities, love the peace and quiet (we are cabin hermits).

Robin

Absolutely! We are only in our cabin to sleep and shower. A suite would be a huge waste of money for us, but the space would be good for cabin hermits.

That's wonderful that you guys do that! I I wish I could talk my mom into cruising, but she won't.

Thanks. I am lucky. We have one booked for the Panama Canal in Oct.

If the suite life makes it easiwr and more relaxing for her I am all for it.

She is not big on ports. She would rather go to the spa. Or take a nap. But we love trivia and she can still pull some of the answers out of her files.