Will NYC port get new Carnival ship?

rchase5

Hey guys! Does anyone know if Carnival will get a new ship in November, since the Splendor will be repositioning? Though Carnival is sending the Splendor to Miami and discontinuing year-round cruises for NYC, they say that there will still be seasonal service...does anyone know what ship we will get? :)

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/carnival-splendor-to-reposition-from-new-york-to-miami-2014

I am curious myself. We were on the splendor this past sept and loved how ez it was going out of NYC. Being from NJ we were able to take the train and a cab. Hopefully they bring in a ship and sail at least spring-fall again. For our cruise it was sold out, so i can't see them wanting to pull out of NY for long, at least i hope not.

Hi :)

Take a peek at the Cruise Critic news article at the below link. The

Splendor will be sailing out of New York seasonally.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5663

:)

That is awesome news. We just sailed Splendor 3 weeks ago and loved it.

In fact, we booked another Splendor for July!;)

Why not send a Dream Class or another ship with 2.0 upgrades seasonally to NYC ? At least a ship with more dining options and entertainment options would have a better chance of competeing with NCL's Breakaway and Royal's Quantum of the Seas. BTW I sailed on the Splendor twice since she has been here and enjoyed both cruises.

Why not send a Dream Class or another ship with 2.0 upgrades seasonally to NYC ? At least a ship with more dining options and entertainment options would have a better chance of competeing with NCL's Breakaway and Royal's Quantum of the Seas. BTW I sailed on the Splendor twice since she has been here and enjoyed both cruises.

That's where the Carnival Vista comes into play. However sometimes

I believe Carnival, in recent years doesn't always make the best

Decisions.

The Splendor is there as a place holder of sorts until 2017 when the Vista gets to NYC, don't underestimate the Splendor though she's a fine ship although not as new as Quantum or Breakaway she can hold her own against them. The Dream class vessels are needed in markets other than NYC, so they'll be staying put.

I am curious myself. We were on the splendor this past sept and loved how ez it was going out of NYC. Being from NJ we were able to take the train and a cab. Hopefully they bring in a ship and sail at least spring-fall again. For our cruise it was sold out, so i can't see them wanting to pull out of NY for long, at least i hope not.

Hey Bob!

How's the family!? Yeah, I was kind of upset when I heard about that :( I know they will still be sailing seasonally I just hope it goes into September. We always go on an anniversary cruise at the end of the month. If not, we will be traveling out of Baltimore.

I did think the Splendor was a beautiful ship, I just did not like the layout. I guess we just got too used to the spirit class Miracle, but either way I want a Carnival ship in NY!

Mark

New York is such a big market, but I see why CCL pulled Splendor after seeing how many 8-day cruises were going for prices per-night lower than a dinner of MDR quality would go for in Manhattan.

If the issue is supply vs. demand and soft demand in the off season, I wonder if CCL could put a smaller (but retractable roof-equipped for pool in cool weather) Spirit class into NYC in the winter and the Splendor on its seasonal summer rotation. For at least 2 or 3 more years until Vista can shake up the deployment plan again.

Of course Carnival can fill the Splendor with lower prices - but a full ship does not translate into an "acceptable" level of profit for Carnival management. If on-board spending does not compensate for the lower fares, then Carnival will move their ships to a market that will generate the desired level of profits.

Of course Carnival can fill the Splendor with lower prices - but a full ship does not translate into an "acceptable" level of profit for Carnival management. If on-board spending does not compensate for the lower fares, then Carnival will move their ships to a market that will generate the desired level of profits.

I did notice that NCL also had to reduce prices on the Breakaway during Jan/Feb months. Winter effects them all I guess.

Feb 23 sailing is at $419 for 7nt

Edited by limoguy1

Why does carnival even need to worry about NYC? Especially if they are able to fill their ships elsewhere. So why worry about trying to compete with the other lines new tonnage when they can send a ship somewhere else and have the same capcity.

It's not capacity. It's capacity $$. There was a time the NY prices were at a premium. They've dropped so much, they can't be making money. And then all of a sudden they pulled the year round NYC ship after making such a big deal about creating one.