Port of Galveston

At Sea 4Ever

What airport would you fly into for the navigator? Is it George Bush IAH? How far of a drive is it from airport to pier? Is this the only airport that royal will shuttle from? Any info on this would be great!

I would fly into Hobby (HOU). It's only 45 minutes from the port.

Do u know if royal offers transfers from hobby?

They did the last time we sailed out of Galveston, but that was several years ago.

I'd check the Gulf Coast Departures board for more options than the cruise line transfer. I know people have used Super Shuttle in Galveston.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Do u know if royal offers transfers from hobby?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, but you have to fly in day of sailing - we like to fly in the day before so usually have to find a private shuttle service. Hobby (HOU) is the choice for Galveston, much closer to the port. Google transport from Hobby to Pier or go to specific pages for the port. There is a Galveston Shuttle that was pretty reasonable but I have not used them.:D

What airport would you fly into for the navigator? Is it George Bush IAH? How far of a drive is it from airport to pier? Is this the only airport that royal will shuttle from? Any info on this would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You might consider arranging for Royal transfers through your TA.

Heres info on the transfers through royal

From IAH - $47 per person each way ($94 round trip)

Latest arrival – 11:30am

Earliest departure – 12:30pm

From HOU - $32 per person each way ($64 round trip)

Latest arrival – 12:30 pm

Earliest departure – 12:00pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This week we booked into Hobby for our Navigator cruise on March 30th. If you are flying in the day before, you may want to check out the La Quinta. We booked it for $189 for the night which includes RT transfers to the port (with dropoff at the airport on the return) for up to 4 people.

Southwest cost us a bit more than going into IAH, but for what it costs to get from IAH to Galveston, the La Quinta deal made Hobby more convenient and cheaper overall.

Unless things have changed drastically, I would not stay there. I stayed there about 2 years ago. The area is very seedy, and I did not feel safe there at all!!!! The room was stinky, sort of like mold, and looked like tit hadn't had a good cleaning in years. Paying that rate for the room is ridiculous, even with the transfer.

Take it as you will.......

Barb

Hi, 4 of us on Navigator in November 2014. We are flying into Houston IAH

For all of us

Super Shuttle is 320 return

Galveston Limo (shared Van) is 370

Cool Tours is 350

Royal is 82 CDN each so 328 CDN which is less that the others which are in US$. Our CDN dollar has dropped quite a bit so in this case I think Royal is the cheapest.

We will arrive the evening before, stay at a hotel at the airport with shuttle and go back in the morning for the shuttle to the ship.

Hotels at the airport are way, way less than in Galveston at this time.

We actually only have the airfare booked but these are the numbers I got for the transfers.

:)

Edited by molly2kit
to add IAH as airport

For all of us

Cool Tours is 350

Royal is 82 CDN each so 328 CDN which is less that the others which are in US$. Our CDN dollar has dropped quite a bit so in this case I think Royal is the cheapest.

We will arrive the evening before, stay at a hotel at the airport with shuttle and go back in the morning for the shuttle to the ship.

We actually only have the airfare booked but these are the numbers I got for the transfers.

We are flying into Hobby the day before. Rented a full size car from Thrifty with taxes $280. We use the Lighthouse cruise and Park. We are not at the mercy of someone else for transportation.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are flying into Hobby the day before. Rented a full size car from Thrifty with taxes $280. We use the Lighthouse cruise and Park. We are not at the mercy of someone else for transportation.

When you get a good deal on the rental car, it's definitely a great way to go. Having your own transportation around Houston and Galveston before and after the cruise is nicer as well.

As for staying near Hobby or going to Galveston on arrival and staying there...I'd stay in Galveston over the Hobby airport area. The area around Hobby isn't as nice as around most hotels in Galveston.

For all of us

Cool Tours is 350

We are sailing in November also and reserved the Hilton in Galveston for about $120 for the night before sailing. We drive down from Dallas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am doing the same thing. I got a 9 day rental via Budget at Hobby for $260 and will pay $50 for parking. Ridiculous that there aren't one way car rentals though.