Whale Watching in September

jc4me

We are scheduled to be in port in Saint John, NB and Halifax, NS the first part of September. Would either of these ports be good for a whale watching excursion at that time of the year? I don't want to waste money on a tour if there's little chance of actually seeing whales. We are scheduled for Saint John on 9/8 and Halifax on 9/9. Trying to determine if we should schedule whale watching or something else. Thanks for your help!

We are scheduled to be in port in Saint John, NB and Halifax, NS the first part of September. Would either of these ports be good for a whale watching excursion at that time of the year? I don't want to waste money on a tour if there's little chance of actually seeing whales. We are scheduled for Saint John on 9/8 and Halifax on 9/9. Trying to determine if we should schedule whale watching or something else. Thanks for your help!

Early September should be fine - the season peaks in August but runs through at least mid-October in the Bay of Fundy (most options are Saint Andrews-based, which the cruise company will sell from the Saint John stop). Our best whale experience ever was here one early September, when a fin whale surfaced right under us and lifted our boat out of the water - no guarantees of that happening, but fins are frequently spotted in Fundy and the only thing bigger in the ocean is a Blue.

I've also had great success on September trips out of Cheticamp (boat surrounded by hundreds of pilot whales).

There are trips from Lunenburg that would be reasonably accessible from Halifax, but I don't know how good these are in comparison.

Early September should be fine - the season peaks in August but runs through at least mid-October in the Bay of Fundy (most options are Saint Andrews-based, which the cruise company will sell from the Saint John stop). Our best whale experience ever was here one early September, when a fin whale surfaced right under us and lifted our boat out of the water - no guarantees of that happening, but fins are frequently spotted in Fundy and the only thing bigger in the ocean is a Blue.

I've also had great success on September trips out of Cheticamp (boat surrounded by hundreds of pilot whales).

There are trips from Lunenburg that would be reasonably accessible from Halifax, but I don't know how good these are in comparison.

Thank you. We will look at the Saint John stop for a whale watching excursion then. Looking forward to it!