Hate the 'Group Dining' Thing...

Leo Jay

I must be an odd one, along with my mom & Grammy. We were seated at a booth for 4, but there was only 3 of us. We all decided that we needed to sit with other people because we would be sick of each other by the end of the cruise. We were seated with a husband/wife, who each had their parents along. I would have liked to have sat with people closer to my age (20's) but unfortunately, beggers can't be choosers. I still had a better time than I would have spending 7 nights talking to my mom and Grammy. It's not like we didn't talk to each other all other parts of the day LOL.

I am a very shy person and would love to get a small table but haven't been able to. Our last cruise we asked for a small table for our family of five which they said they had 6 at a table. I figured well they would possibley seat one person there but maybe we would get lucky but wrong they had pulled up a chair so are table was for seven. I'm not anti-social but an a very shy, quiet person.

I happen to be one of those people hoping to get a large table. Part of my cruise experience is getting out there and meeting new people. Sitting with them makes you meet some you wouldn't ordinarily meet.

For the record, when we travel without DD, we are sat with other childless pax. When we take DD, we are either sat with other people with one child, or get our own booth. Then somehow we meet the people at our surrounding tables.

I think Carnival does an amazing job with seating, our family asks for a large table so we can be seated with another family. We have never been disappointed with our table mates. SIL & I cruised alone this year and asked for a large table and were seated with a family with grown sons and had a very nice time. I agree with some of the posters here that it is part of the experience to dine this way. Some of the other posters here should try it more often.

We don't see ourselves as being entertainment for our fellow passengers.. There are plenty of opportunities to meet people if that's your thing. We have always requested a small table for the 3 of us and always got it. We were told to see the maitre'd if we didn't get the small table but never had to. It's your vacation, spend it however it makes you happy.

Do what makes you comfortable.

Not everyone can be extroverts....there wouldn't be enough 'space' in the dining room if we all were gregarious. If you'd like to sit alone, ask for that table for 2...there's no sin in it for goodness sake. I will add that I've heard they're hard to come by, so don't get your hopes up.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Leo Jay,

We are also going on this cruise also, the Triumph to Canada August 27th. This will be our 4th cruise. The 1st one we had a group table and met great people and had a great time. The 2nd & 3rd cruise, we sailed with another couple and had a 4 seat booth, that was okay too. This year my husband and I are going alone and hope to be seated at a group table to meet others.

So Carnival doesn't assign tables just time when you eat and then you sit at the same table each night unless you request otherwise? :confused:
Huh? :confused:

Your dining room, time and table assignment are printed on your S&S card.

Having never cruised, I think I might be disappointed if my wife and I got a table for 2. I am looking forward to the entire cruise experience which to me would include sitting to dinner with table mates, sharing stories, and such.

We are social people, and looking forward to that part.

I have no idea how the dining room/ table/ time works!

but thanks for the huh?:confused:

With the exception of the Spirit-class ships, all Carnival ships have two dining rooms. Each dining room has two seatings, Main and Late.

Dining Room #1 Main Seating Dinner - 5:45 pm

Dining Room #2 Main Seating Dinner - 6:15 pm

Dining Room #1 Late Seating Dinner - 8:00 pm

Dining Room #2 Late Seating Dinner - 8:30 pm

You will be assigned to one of the above four seatings, which you will not find out for certain until you check in at the pier and look at your S&S card.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Assigned_Seating.aspx

If you wish to change, see the MaitreD' asap after boarding.

On our first cruise, a honeymoon cruise, we sat at a table for 8 and everyone was on their honeymoon and we had a great time.

However, my wife and I are both a bit introverted and we prefer a table for two. For one thing, I am more relaxed and don't feel I have to strain to make conversation. Also, we can talk about more personal things that we would not want overheard.

On our next two cruises, Disney and Destiny, we requested and received tables for two. Disney actually gave us a table for 4 on our own, as the cruise was not to capacity. They had a separate room for this request upon boarding, and for reserving the supper club, and you just got in line and made your request to a crew member with a notebook computer - no tipping.

I also do not think you should have to tip the maitre d for changing tables, especially with the hidden handshake garbage. However, if the table is great and you feel the maitre d had something to with it, a tip on the last night is surely appropriate. We did that on Disney.

On Destiny, we went to the dining room and saw our assignment and then went to a crew member in the dining room, perhaps a maitre d in waiting - it may not have been the main floor - not sure, and she was happy to make the change and did not appear to expect a tip. In fact we never saw or heard from the maitre d on that cruise and did not tip him. We did notice quite a few other couples at tables for 2 and rather than appearing to be snobbish, we found it to be quite intimate and romantic.

My husband and I will be cruising for the 5th time in Oct. We have done the 8 and 4 top on previous trips. This time we are going to hopefully try a 2 top. Our plan is to get that taken care of first thing upon boarding the Valor. Both my husband and myself don't want to feel like we have to entertain anyone at dinner other than ourselves on this trip.

On our first cruise my wife and I were assigned to a very large table. It took about an hour and a half to finish dinner every night! We had no idea you could have your assignment changed. It wasn't a problem with the personalities of the others at the table, they were all very nice and all.

After finding this board years ago, we have never sat at a table bigger than four.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add a comment to the suggestion that a change of table request should include a smarmy handshake and the slipping of a $20, in reviewing our cruise docs last night, the Welcome Aboard booklet clearly states that to be fair to all passengers the maitre d does not encourage and cannot accept gratuities for a new table assignment......for what it is worth (which doesn't mean it doesn't happen)

[quote name='NickGlover']Just to add a comment to the suggestion that a change of table request should include a smarmy handshake and the slipping of a $20, in reviewing our cruise docs last night, the Welcome Aboard booklet clearly states that to be fair to all passengers the maitre d does not encourage and cannot accept gratuities for a new table assignment......for what it is worth (which doesn't mean it doesn't happen)[/QUOTE]

Good, that means he'll do it for FREE! More money for BINGO!:D :D :D

But seriously, though, can someone tell me whether the tables are round or rectangular, or a combination throughout the dining room? I'm talking about the Triumph. Just idle curiosity, really...

We just got back from a cruise to Alaska on the Carnival Spirit. We had requested [b]EARLY[/b] seating and a [b]table for 2[/b]. We were assigned [b]LATE[/b] seating at a [b]LARGE[/b] table. We waited in line to ask the Maitre 'D to change it, and he gave us a table for 2 but couldn't get us the early seating. We ended up eating at the Lido buffet for all our meals. At least there we could eat WHEN and WITH WHOM we wanted. And looking at the menus for the dining room, we decided the dining room food was too "fancy-schmancy" for us--we prefer the informality of the Lido buffet. We all have different dining preferences, both food and seating arrangements, but this worked well for us ! :)

In the Paris dining room (aft on the Triumph), there were a combination of tables. We sat in a booth for 4 on the 2nd level. We sat at a long rectangular table on the 2nd level durring open dining the night we were in San Juan, and a big round table on the first level the day we had lunch there. the tables for 2 were square.

We of the cruises I have been on, the worst dinning experience was when we were the only drinkers at the table. So we drank more..... not obnoxiously, just ordered more..... The table next to us was great.... we started the glass singing thing..... you know, where you rub the top edge of the glass and the noises... it's great....

Bamagolf

Archived