Snorkeling in Key West

RabidDolly

Hi RabidDolly,

It would probably help if you gave a time frame - in going to KeyWest.com, I found several places that offer snorkeling trips to the reefs, some morning, some afternoon, some all-day.

I'm going to KW in May (land vacation), but I've read here that the Fury is the one most talked about, if that helps.

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

• 6 years later...

I would suggest going to the Schooner Wharf Bar and ask around. You'll find a captain that will be happy to take you and your guests out to a local reef and take you snorkeling.

You'll save some money, meet some great people and enjoy an experience that you will not get any where else.

Have fun and take the time to listen to a couple of sets of Michael McCloud while you are there. Don't forget to ask for a Dark and Stormy.

Can anyone recommend a really great snorkeling trip for us when we go in June.

Thanks icon_wink.gif

~~RabidDolly

Carnival Jubilee 6/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

If you are inexperienced snorkelers and just want to give it a try, go with Fury as they will be the least expensive and their boat has the "ramp to the sea" which makes it relatively easy for newbies to get into and out of the water. IMO A better catamaran trip is with Sebago which will have fewer people on board and also haas a ramp.

For a smaller boat, the Floridays which goes out of the Hyatt dock just off Front Street. Listed as a 36 person capacity but it's unusual for it to fill up.

For more time in the water, the Sunny Days company runs a the Reef Express which makes two stops at the reef, and there is a new Island Express which goes up to Looe Key to make two snorkel stops and includes lunch. I'm trying this in May. (Got an invite)

But my two favorites are the Danger Charters and Sebago Island T'Ing all day trips. These include a snorkel stop, lunch, then a kayak paddle around a mangrove island. Both are very nice days out which don't leave too early and don't get back too late.

And these were listed in order of cost, from least to most expensive, and they all provide at least beer and wine after snorkeling

Pjk

Archived