Talk to me about Camp Carnival :-)

lunagirl

Okay, we are considering taking the plunge and doing a cruise WITH THE KIDS for their fall break. My little rays of sunshine will be 5 and 6 at the time of the cruise and we are considering the Western Caribbean as the itinerary (done it a couple of times, so feel more comfortable with it).

Right now, we are still tossing around ideas about bringing Nana (my mom) with us for some extra support and what type of cabin to book.

Our biggest question is about Camp Carnival...How is it? My kids are social and accustomed to school/preschool settings. However, my daughter has some mobility issues. She can get where she wants to go, but may not want to stroll around the ship with us. Thus, the consideration of Camp Carnival as a homebase for her when she isn't with us at the pool, etc.

Has anyone ever had children close in age at Camp Carnival? Will they let them stay together or are they strict about the age brackets? Is Camp Carnival something that you would recommend?

We have taken the kids to the beach, Disney World, etc and they were great but this would be their first cruise experience.

Has anyone ever had children close in age at Camp Carnival? Will they let them stay together or are they strict about the age brackets? Is Camp Carnival something that you would recommend?

My son loved the camp on all the ships that he has been on (CCL, HAL, & RCCL). His last cruise only had 31 kids, so there was only 1 group... Not the best, he did not like being the youngest & some of the activities that were ok for 10 year old were not so great for my 5 year old. (They all survived.)

So it might depend on how many kids are in the different age brackets. If they are full, then there wouldn't be room to allow your 3 to be together...

I have been taking my nephew since he was 8, and he is now 15. He has loved all of the Camp Carnival groups. They will not want to go to dinner with you because there are so many activities for them going on at that time and Camp Carnival takes them to dinner at the buffet which only includes food for the kids. There are also I think it is one night or two where they call it a sleep over. They charge an extra fee, but they love it, and it ends at 2am. The Staff drops them off at your cabin.

Edited by CarnivalCruising

We took our kids on their first cruise last winter on Carnival Breeze. they LOVED it - and we've just booked again for next December (again on Carnival). My brave and independent then 10 year old DD loved everything about camp Carnival - as did my more timid then 7yo DS. See my review linked in my signature. Obviously experiences will vary based on groups of kids, staff, individual preferences. Go with an open mind and you should be golden!

Okay, we are considering taking the plunge and doing a cruise WITH THE KIDS for their fall break. My little rays of sunshine will be 5 and 6 at the time of the cruise and we are considering the Western Caribbean as the itinerary (done it a couple of times, so feel more comfortable with it).

Right now, we are still tossing around ideas about bringing Nana (my mom) with us for some extra support and what type of cabin to book.

Our biggest question is about Camp Carnival...How is it? My kids are social and accustomed to school/preschool settings. However, my daughter has some mobility issues. She can get where she wants to go, but may not want to stroll around the ship with us. Thus, the consideration of Camp Carnival as a homebase for her when she isn't with us at the pool, etc.

We have taken the kids to the beach, Disney World, etc and they were great but this would be their first cruise experience.

We (parents and kids) love Camp!!! My boys are 5 & 8 and were just on their second carnival cruise (Feb 2014). This cruise was on the Dream. Last cruise (they were 4 & 7) was on the Paradise (Feb 2013). My kids probably spent less than half the time on the cruise with us. The LOVE camp. They only ate dinner with us one night, the first night, because camp wasn't open yet. Your kids sound like they would be very comfortable and would probably do well. They are pretty strict on age groups (2-5, 6-8, 9-11). We were concerned that our 5 yr old (almost 6) would be bored in Camp with the younger kids but the counselors did a great job keeping all the ages occupied. Made him feel just as special as the younger ones. I think he also enjoyed not being his older brothers shadow. Having time to shine by himself. And I know his older brother loved not having his younger brother under foot. I think they look forward to cruising more than us. I cannot speak highly enough of the counselors. They are great. Two cruises down and all of us are hooked. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

My kids LOVE camp carnival. It is just one of the many reasons we keep going back to Carnival. Mine are now 5 and 9, and have been going for a few years. They have never been in the same group, but there are certain activities where they do get to mingle (especially some of the later night stuff). I think this also may depend on how many kids are on board, etc. We tend to go during some of the off peak seasons, where there are kids on board, but maybe not as many as spring break/summer/holidays.

DD has been attending Camp Carnival since she was six. Loves it.

If your children will be 5 and 6, technically they will be in different age groups. (2-5) (6-8). If your 5 year old is close to age six, they MIGHT, and I do mean might, allow him to move up to the 6-8 group. DD was once 1 month from the (9-11) group, and they allowed her to be in that group, however, it was not a busy time and there were not a large amount of children on board.

All you can do is ask.

Just off the Splendor last Friday. we also have a 5 and 6 year old. The 5 year went the first time and then refused to go again. They break the groups up 2-5 and 6-8. The six year old want a few times and loved it. The 5 year refused to go with the 2-3 year old babies who were crying all the time(I went to look and he was absolutely right- waaahhh). I don't want to be with the babies crying he said. They would have allowed the 6 year old to go with the 5's but that wasn't happening either....

Just off the Splendor last Friday. we also have a 5 and 6 year old. The 5 year went the first time and then refused to go again. They break the groups up 2-5 and 6-8. The six year old want a few times and loved it. The 5 year refused to go with the 2-3 year old babies who were crying all the time(I went to look and he was absolutely right- waaahhh). I don't want to be with the babies crying he said. They would have allowed the 6 year old to go with the 5's but that wasn't happening either....

How did you like the counselors in camp? We're sailing on the Splendor in 8 weeks and my kids are 3 and 4. Hoping they will like camp!

How did you like the counselors in camp? We're sailing on the Splendor in 8 weeks and my kids are 3 and 4. Hoping they will like camp!

We loved them. They were always great with the kids. My 5 year old always finds one particular one she latches on to (and that particular one latches on to her). A really great group of people!

Only had one minor problem with a Camp Counselor. It was embarkation day, they have an "open house", and as I have been to the orientation before, I wanted to drop off the paperwork then instead of interrupting my evening. The counselor was IMHO rude. She refused to take my paperwork and told me to report to the orientation. First time that ever happened, and was not an omen for the rest of the cruise.

One thing people need to remember, this is a CAMP until 10 PM, not a babysitting service.

Only had one minor problem with a Camp Counselor. It was embarkation day, they have an "open house", and as I have been to the orientation before, I wanted to drop off the paperwork then instead of interrupting my evening. The counselor was IMHO rude. She refused to take my paperwork and told me to report to the orientation. First time that ever happened, and was not an omen for the rest of the cruise.

One thing people need to remember, this is a CAMP until 10 PM, not a babysitting service.

Oh my goodness, I am surprised to hear that!! I had the complete opposite experience on one of my cruises! We went to check out the open house, and had planned on going to the orientation as well, but happened to have the paperwork with me. The open house person asked me if I would like to go ahead and drop it off then and there, so I didn't have to worry about it later...

Oh my goodness, I am surprised to hear that!! I had the complete opposite experience on one of my cruises! We went to check out the open house, and had planned on going to the orientation as well, but happened to have the paperwork with me. The open house person asked me if I would like to go ahead and drop it off then and there, so I didn't have to worry about it later...

I was at the time surprised as well. I guess the saying, "Ship Happens". No problems the rest of the cruise and DD loved Camp and her counselors.