NCL Wind 7/2/05 Review!

rvdsb

First off just want to say that even though I've never posted at this site, you've all been a great help in our planning of our cruise. Thanks!

This was our first cruise. My Aunt won the a $7500 "gift card" with a travel agency in Indiana. We bought it from her and decided to go on a cruise. Best idea we've ever had!

Pre/Post Cruise Package: We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott one day before and one day after the cruise. Definetely well worth it! It is a beautiful and large hotel and we had ocean view rooms each time, even one with a GREAT view of Diamond Head. Honolulu is a very fun place to wander around in and its too bad we couldn't stay longer :(.

Embarkation: Very quick since we checked in early at the hotel. Got to the pier and were on the ship in 20 minutes, very painless!

The Ship: Being our first cruise we thought the ship was pretty big and a perfect size for us as well. We found our room easily and already one of our pieces of luggage was there. We got the rest shortly there after. Took a quick tour of the ship by ourselves (me-17 and my parents, sorry late intro) and were quite impressed, the ship looked good!

Cabin: Had an Outside Superior Stateroom that was perfect size for three. Especially since all of our luggage (and we took a LOT of luggage) fit under the bed! The sofa sleeper is actually comfortable too! The only problem we had was the bath gel dispenser fell off of the wall, they fixed it the next morning and it was no problem. Everything was done and on time.

Food: Breakfast was just fine. Ate at the Four Seasons the most since it is quick to eat at a buffet in the morning. The Terrace had the same breakfast except that they bring the food to you. Its only good if you have a lot of time to eat, we only did it once. Lunch on board was awesome, different food everyday. Dinner was even better, it was exciting to see the menu everyday never knowing what your going to get! Thanks NCL for giving us the best food we've ever ate!

Shows: The Jean Ann Ryan productions were OK, my parents liked them and I was indifferent towards them. The comedy shows, however, were excellently done. Jeff Moche, the comedian magician, was very funny. Especially his first show. Jeff Harms, the comedian, was even better. His stand-up was outstanding! He also hosted open-mic night on one of the days which was as good as his own shows. The Liars Club show near the end of the cruise was alright, our cruise director and asst. cruise director weren't that funny.

Day 1: Hilo was our first stop and its just a blast waking up in the morning and seeing the island go by! We took the Volcanoes National Park excursion which made for great photo opportunities. Our guide, Cousin Earl, was the best tour guide we've EVER had. We got to eat at the Volcano House restaurant, buffet style. Food was pretty good, view was better. The craters are very interesting and are a definite must see. The tour made for a long day but it was well worth it.

Day 2: Kahului was the second stop. Our excursion for the day was the Hoku Nui Luau and since it was later in the day we decided to explore the city. There wasn't much to the city, mostly car dealerships and a couple malls. Also we seen the most expensive gas on the island, $2.81/gallon. The luau was very good. My parents liked the free drinks (mai tai's) and the buffet was good too. The show was historical going through different stages of Oceania life. I was chosen to go up near the end to hula with them which was pretty fun. I figured I would be picked since we were in the front.

Day 3: Lahaina was the third stop. We did the Maui Cultural Walk. Very interesting walk through town about its (dark) history. Visits to various churches and a place they were going to restore were highlights. Our guide was very informative. Since it was a short tour we had time to explore the city for ourselves. Lots of shopping to be done, definetly try the Maui Divers key promotion. My mom won a free jewelry box and half off of "Pick a Pear", which she did and got a good size pearl. After a little shopping we went swimming at the beach which gave us a great view of the ship. It gets a little rocky out there but it was still very relaxing.

Day 4: Nawiliwili was our fourth stop. Kauai was our favorite island! Everything is just beautiful! We did the Hollywood in Hawaii tour. The would show different scenes from different movies and then go to those places which was pretty neat. Most stops were at VERY beautiful beachs. Too bad we couldn't go swimming! Another nice stop was at the Coco Palms Resort which was devistated due to Hurrican Iniki on Sept. 11, 1994. Very interesting to see Elvis's favorite resort. Can't wait for the renovations to start. We had a picnic lunch under a pavilion that Slyvester Stallone donated. The departing of the pier makes for some great pictures so you HAVE to have your camera when the ship departs.

Day 5 and 6: At sea on our way to Fanning Island. This allowed some much needed rest and a time to relax after all the excursions. I did the P.G.A. (Poor Golfers Association), didn't go far but still had fun. My parents played Bingo (expensive!) but we were on vacation and didn't care.

Day 7: Fanning Island. Paradise. The Catholic Church choir welcomed us with song and we donated a 2 dollar bill for them to build a church. The marketplace was very interesting, you can pick up some very unique trinkets. Dogs roam freely and are used like cattle. We heard that they eat dogs but luckily didn't see them do it or at least think we didn't. The BBQ was good that NCL prepared and it filled us up for the rest of the day. We booked the Napali Beach Getaway which was well worth it. The water is just so blue and it feels like bathwater. Only downside is that it doesn't get very deep. You could go out a half a mile and it would maybe be up to your knees. Fanning Island is well worth the two days to get there, you make the locals day and you get to see a unique way of life that makes you appreciate the one you got even more.

Day 8 and 9 were at sea. Pretty much did the same things as last days at sea. Good time to make friends and relax.

Day 10: Kona was the last stop of the cruise and when you think Kona you think coffee. That's exactly what we thought as we took the Kona Coffee Now and Then tour. We were very happily surprised to find out we had the same tour guide as in Hilo, Cousin Earl! I don't like coffee but after trying out 100 percent Kona blend I am addicted to it. It is that good. Tour was informative but the best part is trying the coffee and then buying some! The city looked very walkable but we decided not to walk around.

Day 11: Back to Honolulu. Disembarkation was a breeze since we had a post cruise package. We took the Stars and Stripes excursion which made for a VERY long day but well worth it. USS Missouri is a fun ship to tour although not as big as the USS Yorktown. The Arizona Memorial was very powerful and moving, you have to do this if your in Honolulu.

Overall: Great cruise that we recommend to EVERYONE. If you want to visit Hawaii, this is the cruise to be on! Two thumbs up from all of us! If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Really enjoyed your positive review of the Wind, and especially your comments about Fanning Island, which seemed like a high point of the cruise. Most people who have been there tend to agree with you. You didn't mention anything about 'rough seas', and I assume no one had any problems with seasickness going to/from Fanning Island.

Regarding your mention of the USS Missouri:

USS Missouri is a fun ship to tour although not as big as the USS Yorktown.
The Missouri is actually a bit larger than the Yorktown.

Many thanks for your informative review of the Wind.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you and your family had a terrific time. We cruised the WIND last Sept. and we're going again this Sept. It's great to hear that everything on the WIND is still good...and fun!!

There really weren't any rough seas...At least not rough to us! Luckily nobody got seasick. The Yorktown must of been a more walkable ship then because it seemed larger to us. Both were great ships anyway!

Archived