Breakaway Splash Academy

geegee1

We were on the Breakaway for February Break 2/16 – 2/23. There were 1600 children on board and Splash Academy aka Kids Club did a FANTASTIC job. My daughters (8 and 5) couldn't wait to go each day. Signing in/out was a breeze considering how many children there were.

In 2008 we were on RC Explorer of the Seas during February Break as well and you knew that there were a ton of kids on the boat. They were everywhere. We expected the same this time on the Breakaway.

On the Breakaway it did not feel that way at all. The counselors did a great job keeping the kids entertained. Everyone we met did an amazing job. Can't recommend the program highly enough. Because of the great job they did we are considering going on another Breakaway cruise the summer of 2015.

Glad it worked well for you. I was on this sailing and had a different experience. My 10 yr dd went the first night, which for her age group was held in the Bliss lounge. There were so many kids that playing games took a long time and she was miserable sitting in the sidelines after getting out in an early round. Within 40 minutes she was texting me to come get her. I could not convince her to give it another try until Friday. It was held at Splash Academy, but when we got there they were full to capacity and we were turned away because there was no space. She went back the last night and had fun, but we were generally disappointed in Splash Academy. I am sure that the staff was great, they were just way over the capacity they could accommodate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was only 1200 kids.... But they seemed contained.

When I asked at Splash Academy during registration on the first day, I was told over 1600, but 600 of those were teens. I think the number that actually registered for Splash Academy wound up being closer to 1000.

We were on the same cruise. We have 11 y/o and 6 y/o.

From the past experiences we have learned to only register them on the first day as soon as you get on board and never actually bring them on the first night. It gets really crowded and sets a bad first impression on everyone. That's why it gets better on second day in the morning.

Then again we take them for dinners and shows for the second and third day of sailing only using the early morning hours from 9 am to 12.

On the day 4 it gets better in the evening. We like check in at 7 pm to 9pm or to 10pm

On Breakaway you really have to be there at 6:50 pm at least to check them in to avoid lines.

There are limits on the every age group. For the 6 to 9 y/o on this sailing it was 100 kids. Once our younger one made the cut off at the number 100 everyone else after us was turned away.

I don't know the cut off for the 10 to 12 age group as it was never a problem for us on this cruise.

Initially my 11 year old was really dissapointed with the activities mostly because a lot of children in her age group were playing on personal cell phones and other electronic devices and didn't want

to put the full effort in the team games.

Again that's her opinion and experience only. May be that's her age acting out. She has met an old friend on day 4 and was much happier after that especially on the last light when they had the pillow fight.

The younger one was very happy with every visit and truly enjoyed it: making new friends every time and liking the activities.

So it's a mixed bag. However if you want your children to be secure while you enjoy some adult time the Splash academy can't be beat.

Everything is clean, almost brand new. The councelors that I've met were friendly and polite.

How do they communicate with u? Do u have to use your own cell phones? Or so they have something there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

If you have very young child they can give you a ship pager to call them back if it goes off. The second option is installing the iConcierge application on your phone and paying approx $9 for the whole cruise.

It gives you an ability to call/text anyone else on the ship who has the iConcierge. Obviously the kids club can call the you on your iConcierge number if you provide it to them.

Third option if you're going to stay in your cabin they can call you there.

Forth option is the Heaven phone if you are staying the suites then you get a cell phone that works anywhere on the ship.