Machu Pichu tour with Golden Princess (post cruise) Jan.17 2015

marilda

You might want to consider arranging such a tour through a favorite travel agent instead. You might be surprised to learn how much less expensive going through your TA might be compared to the relatively high prices the cruise lines charge. We did the tour on our own three years ago and were able to spend twice the time, and visit twice the places, for the same price as the cruise line was charging.

Hello We are cruising with Golden Princess from Rio to Santiago, arriving the 17th of jan. 2015. We would like to take the Princess post cruise tour of Machu Pichu. Is somebody planning the same trip?

As a general rule, the cruise line tours are WAAAAAY, WAAAAAY, WAAAAY overpriced. You can usually save 40-50% doing it yourself and stay in the same or better hotels as well as not be burdened with "the herd" mentality found so often on group tours.

Go to the South America forum. There is a LOT of info there about how to do it yourself. And before you buy airline tickets, check out both the LAN pass and the OneWorld South America pass. GREAT savings on intra South America flights. BUT you MUST fly into South America on either LAN for the LAN Pass or a OneWorld airline for the One World Pass.

The airline passes REQUIRE 3 segments to be valid. SO your segments would be Santiago to Lima, Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima to fly home. Savings with the passes are about 25-40% over what the airlines (and particularly the cruise lines) charge.

Enjoy!! I spend a lot of time in Chile and Peru for business. And I have posted all the info I can think of on the South America forum. But if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by greatam

Enjoy!! I spend a lot of time in Chile and Peru for business. And I have posted all the info I can think of on the South America forum. But if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Do you have a favorite hotel in the Miraflores area of Lima? The Mariott is beautiful but expensive. We stayed at the Raddisson once and it was nice but since you know Lima so well, perhaps you can give us some ideas.

Hotel, favorite restaurants? We're going down again later this year with friends who have never been there and want to make it a special trip.

Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You should post your question on your cruise Roll Call.

The Roll Call for your cruise is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1874975 Please review Community Guidelines re: use of Roll Calls. This is the place to post questions related to your particular cruise and the best place to find others sailing with you who might wish to join you on a tour.