7 beautiful days on the Silhouette

I always felt the weather plays an important part of a vacation and this week (2/9-2/16) on the Celebrity Silhouette proved it. We left the miserable winter weather of PA for the sunny Caribbean and we were not disappointed. The worst weather all week was embarkation in Port Everglades and that was just because it was cloudy. On sail away, the clouds broke up and provided a beautiful sunset.

Embarkation was good. We got to the port about one-ish and were on in less than an hour. We had sailed the Silhouette about two years earlier when she was based out of Port Liberty and it was good to see some familiar faces. However, this was the first cruise I felt a little disoriented. I don't know if it was the first time we were in a starboard cabin or I'm getting old.

I really liked the itinerary although we had done something similar 18 years ago. First day at sea, then Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Haiti, Labadee, then last day at sea. In Cozumel we went on the mainland to do an excursion of Tulum. It took a while to get there but the last time I was in Cozumel I regretted not doing it.

In Grand Cayman we did Stingray City, in Haiti we stayed in the dock area and in Labadee we had a beach day. Well rounded cruise with history, nature, the boat and the beach.

Disembarkation was also one of the best I've experienced. Quick breakfast in the Cuvee, called a little earlier than expected, and a short wait for customs.

Couple minor complaints: the stage shows were a little too familiar; the emergency drill had us packed in like sardines, standing for too long a time; and the main dining room seating was a bit clumsy.

I may just do the same thing next year. It was a great way to spend Valentine's Day.