Never have been to San Juan - suggestions?

FireStation46

This will be our first visit to San Juan in June. We arrive at 7AM but the ship departs at 2PM. Allowing time to get off and on does not leave much time to do many things. So, if you had to tour one place or site what do you recommend ? Are there any land based tour operator you trust that could take a family of four around ?

Thanks!

Hi

everything is within walking of the dock.

Do the forts. Go online and find a walking tour. No real need for a professional tour if you like seeking things out yourself.

Old San Juan is one of my favorite places to wonder around in

Enjoy your cruise

This will be our first visit to San Juan in June. We arrive at 7AM but the ship departs at 2PM. Allowing time to get off and on does not leave much time to do many things. So, if you had to tour one place or site what do you recommend ? Are there any land based tour operator you trust that could take a family of four around ?

Thanks!

If you're cruising RCCI, they dock at the Pan Am pier, not in Old San Juan. You would take a taxi and possibly get on one of the free trolley cars downtown that are everywhere. You can hop off if something interests you. I would also suggest the forts, a little shopping, and maybe a bite to eat. Enjoy. I love Old San Juan!

If you're cruising RCCI, they dock at the Pan Am pier, not in Old San Juan. You would take a taxi and possibly get on one of the free trolley cars downtown that are everywhere. You can hop off if something interests you. I would also suggest the forts, a little shopping, and maybe a bite to eat. Enjoy. I love Old San Juan!

Thanks! Yes, we like to walk around but we are not mountain climbers LOL. Nice walk, look at sites, easy lunch is our speed.

Pretty sure RCI and Celebrity only use Pan Am pier for ships cruising out of San Juan. If you are just there as a port on your itinerary, you will use Old San Juan. We did last week on the Century and other RCI ships were at Old San Juan. If you have an early dock and departure as we did last week, docking at 8am and departing at 2 pm, be advised that you may get bad information from the cruise line about opening times of shopping and forts. Forts open at 9:00 am. Shopping opens at 10:00 am. Our ship info had it backwards. The Cathedral opened at 9:30. We had time to walk along the sea wall, visit both forts and do the shopping we had to do. Lines were the longest checking out at Coach.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a private tour of the rain forest and it was great. Wish I could remember his name. We were in a nice van and the tour was much more personnel than a bus tour. Bus people were joining our tour for information. So I would do private tour if possible.:D

Pretty sure RCI and Celebrity only use Pan Am pier for ships cruising out of San Juan. If you are just there as a port on your itinerary, you will use Old San Juan. We did last week on the Century and other RCI ships were at Old San Juan. If you have an early dock and departure as we did last week, docking at 8am and departing at 2 pm, be advised that you may get bad information from the cruise line about opening times of shopping and forts. Forts open at 9:00 am. Shopping opens at 10:00 am. Our ship info had it backwards. The Cathedral opened at 9:30. We had time to walk along the sea wall, visit both forts and do the shopping we had to do. Lines were the longest checking out at Coach.

Were the prices at Coach outlet alot better than in the US?

puerto rico is one of the best islands in the world... So much to do... Personally it is my favorite and i have been to every island at least four times. I just got back a few days ago and used an ebook i discovered online that i found really useful and it saved me about $400 in puerto rico.... Hope it helps you for some ideas...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/b00j5xn0nc

spam!!!

After getting off the ship as you walk around old San Juan there are little number signs on the side of the street it is for a free open air team that will take you to all the sights. You can get off and on at any and all stops or just stay on the entire time. We went around and around as we had toured the forts previously. I wish I knew about it the first time we went to SJ. Ask any local person and they will direct you where to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

everything is within walking of the dock.

Do the forts. Go online and find a walking tour. No real need for a professional tour if you like seeking things out yourself.

Old San Juan is one of my favorite places to wonder around in

Enjoy your cruise

I would second the above suggestion. We did this on our last stop in San Juan and had a great time exploring!

• 1 month later...
How much are the forts? It's something I'm kind of interested in but my wife probably isn't.

I believe they are $5 each and do give a discount if you want to see both forts El Morro and Castill de San Cristobal.

There is also a free tram in OSJ across the street from CVS that will take you to these forts.

El Morro fort

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147320-d149852-Reviews-San_Juan_National_Historic_Site-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

Castillo de San Cristóbal: The Largest of the San Juan Forts

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147320-d148186-Reviews-Castillo_de_San_Cristobal-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

How much are the forts? It's something I'm kind of interested in but my wife probably isn't.

The views are awesome as well as the history so tell your wife you want to get her picture against the Caribbean coast line from that high up. The last time we were there it was $3 for one or $5 for both.. but if you have a national parks pass you get in for free.... since they are part of the US national parks system. Or (and don't take this the wrong way) a golden age passport works as well for older visitors. :eek::D

Edited by Dirkgun

• 2 weeks later...

We were in San Juan in January 2013. We did a tour through Carnival. It think it was called San Juan tour and shopping. We went to the forts, did shopping in Old San Juan, and drove by some other historic sites. We really enjoyed it! After the tour we still had time to grab lunch and do some exploring on our own.

You said you like to walk but not mountain climb. We always take the free trolley to the forts and then meander our way down to the ship through the cobblestone streets, shops, plazas and eateries. Many benches to sit and enjoy an ice cream cone along the way. If you tire of walking there are numerous trolley stops you can hop on until you get to the ship or decide there is something to see. This is one of our favorite towns to tour around and you can easily see the main things in your timeframe. Just a note if you get hot easily. The way the buildings are built, there is not much breeze when walking through the town. Around the forts and outskirts tho there is plenty of air movement. It is pictureque, interesting and one of the cheapest port days you will experience!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...