Arts and crafts, lectures?

Hockeylovinmom

I'll be sailing on the Reflection for a trans Atlantic in April. I have never cruised Celebrity before and am intrigued by the arts and crafts offerings (lessons?).

What is the gist of the on board lectures? Are they related to a ship's itinerary or just general topics of interest? Can anyone provide examples? Thanks.

We were on the Reflection last year and took some of the arts and crafts classes. Although they were fun, I'm not sure I'd do them again. Besides being quite pricy for what you get, they were mostly beading and some watercolor. They were not extensive and only pertinent to very basic instructions. I found them to be rather disorganized.....but we went when the Reflection was rather new, so it might have gotten better.

We went to a few of the lectures (I'm sure they have changed in a year), but the ones we went to pertained to cyphers during WWII and something else that escapes me at the moment. I thought they were interesting.....but we only went to the ones that we thought MIGHT be interesting!

On the Equinox TA last spring at least one of the craft activities was making mosaic tile jewelry; the sessions and materials were no extra charge.

On that particular sailing one of the guest lecturers had worked in the White House (and written a book about her experiences). Another was a retired physics professor who had a number of really interesting science related lectures (ie, inventions which have changed the world and what problem the inventor was trying to solve as often the problem they were trying to solve wasn't solved by the invention).

Through the years we've heard a wide variety of lectures ranging from anthropology to the history of aviation to art history.