Other Transatlantic Traffic

Kirsty

We were just wondering; on the six day crossing, do you see any other ships?

Thanks K

Other than close to arrival and departure, infrequently - and only one mid-ocean, once, out of 6 crossings. Sailing down the North East seaboard of North America will be your best bet.

Peter

We've made half dozen-Atlantics, and as many trans-Pacifics, and have rarely seen other ships at sea, other than in coastal waters.

On one trans-Pacific, we did see a US Navy battle group several miles away, steaming in the opposite direction, but that was only about 36 hours out of Honolulu (Pearl Harbor).

Been from the UK down to the caribbean on several occasions now and very rarely see any other traffic except for maybe heading through the bay of biscay at the start or end of our journey and traffic in the area around Madeira and the Azores!! I'm sure there must be other ships in the area but far enough away not to be visible with the naked eye. My Mum's aunt's husband died just before christmas and he had multiple versions of all kinds of gadgets. One of the multiples was binoculars so my great aunt asked if any of us wanted a pair. I have picked a lovely small pair to take away with me so I can focus in on far away objects!!

Elaine

Just back this afternoon from a double crossing on QM2. Saw one ship in 12 days. Some years ago we sailed for three weeks from Southampton to Cape Town, never a sight of one single ship. The oceans are still big empty places.

David.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but on the first 3 of my 4 QE2 crossings I've seen at least one other large ship at sea per crossing. On the last voyage this past December, I only saw three fishing boats the first day out of Southampton (off the South tip of Ireland) and two fishing boats the last day out (off Canada).

I think a little bit of it is indeed luck....when you happen to find yourself up on deck, or looking out a window.

On another note, the first day out of NY, during an August 2003 EB QE2 crossing, Concorde flew over us and we heard the sonic boom....just minutes before going down to the Theatre to take in the lecture by none other than a retired Concorde captain !!!

Tom

As with flying across the oceans, you may see a ship in the distance (more likely lights far away at night) when you are at sea. But similarly to seeing increased traffic as you approach the airport for landing, you'll see more vessles the closer you get to land/port.

Nevertheless, it is fun when you cross paths at sea. I remember on one of our T/A crossing when I was a kid, we passed very close by another liner. Later, the captain said that he and the other captain were both surprised by how close the respective "flight paths" brought us together....and each captain changed direction by a minimal amount....and we passed close to see people on the other ship....we waved, the horns blew, etc. The Commander of the QE2 made an announcement about 15 min ahead of time and it seemed that 75% of our passengers were on deck to hail the passing ship.

But I'm sure I read somewhere that QM2 is the only liner to go transatlantic nowadays ...

I await your corrections!

8 weeks tomorrow till my crossing ... can't wait!

I'm sure you probably get lots of cargo ships crossing the atlantic too (not that you see them). QM2 is the only liner to do actual transatlantic crossings on a regular basis. But at the same time as our trip to the US and back P & O's Oriana is doing a similar trip (in fact QM2 and Oriana are in Quebec on the same day)!! Next year it will be Aurora!!

Yep, it's 8 weeks tomorrow until our trip. Getting excited but wish Cunard were more organised with their paperwork!!!!!

Elaine

>"But I'm sure I read somewhere that QM2 is the only liner to go transatlantic nowadays ..."

Several cruise lines have 'repositioning crossings' for their ships, from the Med to the Carribean for the winter season, and then back again in the spring. But these are twice yearly transatlantic trips.

Jane in PHL (Loves sea days)

Onboard 'Caronia' several years ago, on a 10 day trans-Atlantic

across to Florida , we only saw a freighter. They were so excited

to see another ship they radioed Captain Bates to find out where

we were going and how many passengers he had.

Kirsty,

In another thread you asked about the route taken - and here about traffic.

Actually, there's a bit to say about the both combined.

Departure from Southampton QEII terminal is up Southampton Water.

Normally, the departure of any Cunard ship from any port draws a small (or sometimes large) flotilla of craft who attempt to chase the ship on it's way. This is quite thrilling and everybody gathers on deck for 'sailaway'. Other ships exchange blasts on their whistles. It's not long however, before the pleasure craft get left behind. Remember, QE2 & QM2 can cruise at 28 knots - most pleasure craft getting left behind at 10 knots max (unless they're the power boat type of thing).

As the ship approaches the Solent, you may notice the ship turn westwards. This is only for a brief moment as suddenly the ship turns eastwards, as the westward channel past the Isle of Wight is too shallow.

A short distance to the east, and then the route is changed to due south. You may still have a few craft around and depending on the time of day, sailing boats and Isle of Wight Traffic. The ship then proceeds south to intercept the Channel Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS). This is a two lane route which runs from the south end of the North Sea through the Dover Straits and all down the English Channel to approx Lands End. The 'English Side' lane is for traffic heading from the North Sea towards the Atlantic and the 'French Side' is for traffic in the opposite direction. The TSS is used by all large ships and is generally straight but does have a few 'kinks' in it. Because ships prefer to set a single course and stick with it, this means that ships tend to veer from left to right of the lane. This in itself causes headaches for traffic and they all need to ask eachother on which side they're overtaking etc. (Pilot rules *ask* them to make as many way points as they can to accomodate the kinks - but guess what. They don't do it).

Anyway, as your ship heads southwards, it does so to intercept the TSS at right angles before taking it's place in the TSS and setting a south-westerly course for the duration. Other shipping wishing to cross over the TSS have to do so a right angles to the TSS. This is to stop ships being in the TSS and at the same time not traveling along the general direction of the traffic. Certainly all ships opposing the TSS (travelling in the wrong direction and at a shallow angle) are well advised to not do it and preferably cross it as fast as possible at right angles.

All of this means that you don't see that much traffic coming towards you as they will be far to the south. Instead, you'll only see a few going 'your way'.

Once you're past Lands End, you really are, as has been said above, almost alone.

That's until you get near New York.

Anybody ever lucky enough to enjoy the entrance to New York on board a Cunard ship early in the morning, can say that they have seen one of the wonders of the world. Especially if it's a sunny day as the sun rises over Coney Island. You'll need to be up early - 5am or so. If you're lucky there'll be an on-deck running commentary. At this point there will be a coastcuard cutter and pilot boat shadowing. By now QM2 will appear to be crawling along slowly, but the pilot boat and cutter will be giving it their all - it's now you realise just how fast QM2 is.

Passing under the VN bridge on QM2 seems impossible. So - be up on one of the top decks with your camera. You'll see all the traffic (cars and commter boats) making it's way in the early rush hour. Later you pass a number of sights, including of course the Statue of Liberty.... but it gets better...... you enter Manhattten and you get the best view of all the skyscrapers. By now, there will some tugs in attendance - they all have a large M on their funnels - a tug boat company that's been in use for ..... ever? Whilst QM2 can berth on her own propulsion - sometimes there are strong currents and the tide can really have a major effect. It's pretty amazing how they manouver into the berths there. But, they achieve this well - and then you'll be alongside the same piers that Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and many others used.

Once all tied up - and you'll have been on deck for 2 or more hours now - you can go to breakfast whilst luggage etc is offloaded.

Truly, one of the best things you can ever do in life.... arrive in New York by ship.

And then........ when you get off the ship..... go shopping crazy....!!!!!!

On the June 9 eastbound crossing we saw one ship in the distance at the end of day two and one solitary drilling platform at the same time. I thought such platforms were generally clustered. I wondered about the efficiency/economics of a lone platform so far out...

Archived