Gibraltar and the World war tunnels

welshfamily

Has anyone visited the World War II tunnels in Gibraltar ?

Is it easy to DIY?

We are only there 1pm till 6pm.

There is a excursion.

Please recommend.

Hello

I did the WWII tunnels tour in August and loved it, but you have very limited time for such a interesting port and I would see how it fits in with everything else you wish to see there and how interested you and your party are in WWII history.

It lasts an hour, costs £8 pp and is not included on the Upper Reserve ticket. I presume you are talking about a ship's excursion, as I don't think it can be booked in advance independently. We knew of it and were lucky in that we just happened to be walking by as a tour was finishing. This is what it looks like

You can see that it is not really something that can be opened up to mass tourism, as a group of 8-10 is the maximum that can be taken round at a time.

I thought it was great, but so much depends on the guide, and Hans was wonderful. These tunnels are much less atmospheric than the Great Siege Tunnels, which I'm sure you will go to

but are equally fascinating in a different way, due to their scale and purpose.

Hope this helps, all the best, Tony

You can book in advance - the day before at the latest - but this can only be done in Gib not on-line!

You may be lucky enough to get on a tour on spec BUT this is very unlikely as numbers are strictly limited.

You will find a lot more Gibraltar information on the other forum 'Other Mediterranean Ports' as Gib is not part of Spain terratorially although of course it is attached geographically.

Edited by campolady

• 1 month later...

I visited Gibraltar last year and used a fab tour guide called Carl, his website is http://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com. Unfortunately only the longest of his tours include a visit to the WW II tunnels, however he is very helpful and I would suggest messaging him and asking about designing your own tour to see exactly what you want to.

We visit Gib again this year and my teenagers requested we go with Carl again.

IMHO unless you've been to Gib before and are short of ideas for something different, the WW2 tunnels aren't worthwhile in your short day.

You'll see from both threads that the ticketing is uncertain, and you'll not find a decent website which gives adequate or accurate or up-to-date information - the marketing is diabolical.

To go just to the WW2 tunnels you'll need to take a taxi or bus to the Moorish Castle.

The entrance to the tunnels (Hay's Level, as a previous post) is a few hundred yards above the Moorish Castle. The Upper Rock Nature Reserve begins at the Moorish Castle, so there's a Park entrance fee to pay in order to get to the Tunnels as well as the Tunnels admission charge. That Park admission fee is only 50p per person(not £10 as on some websites) if you get out of the taxi at the Moorish Castle & walk the rest of the way. Not too sure if there's an extra admission charge if your taxi driver takes you all the way, the driver can advise.

To return to town you'll need to fix with a taxi driver to return for you, or take a bus from below the Moorish Castle, or walk all the way down.

By itself, that's awkward & uncertain enough. You won't want to go through that grief, cost & time only to find you can't tour the Tunnels. :eek:

I suggest you take a standard Upper Rock taxi tour, currently £22 or €25 (no need for an over-priced ship's tour, plenty of taxis & minibuses at the pier & they'll fill the vehicle with sharers from your ship). If you get back down with say 90 minutes or more to spare, ask the driver to drop you at Casemates Square (bottom of Main Street) & wander the town's shops, pubs & minor sights, all along Main Street.

Or just stick to a lazy day in town.

Ship is about a 15 min walk from the Casemates Square end of Main Street, but allow at least 25 mins to be back by the latest back-on-board time.

(Dammit - just noticed this thread is over a month old :rolleyes:)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I visited the WW2 tunnels last fall and we loved it. We didn't book a tour since most of them included going to see the monkeys, which was of no interest to us. We purchased the walkers pass just outside the Moorish Castle, which I think was about 2 pounds each and made our way on foot to the tunnel entrance where we bought tickets. We only had to wait a few minutes for the next tour to start. No pre-booking was required. The view from Jock's Balcony was well worth the trip.

If you want to see any of the other sites, you'll need to buy more than the walker's pass. Regardless of what pass you buy, the fee to the tunnels is not included. This tour is run by an independent company and they charge their own fees.