iConcierge only on newer ships??

PCLMassachusetts

Any information on why the NCL iConceierge app is only available on the newer ships? In theory it seems like a great feature to have access to regardless of which ship you are on.

It requires large upgrades to ship's computer systems (just the hardware/software needed for the navigation channel alone is about $30k per ship) so it it very unlikely that they would upgrade systems on all the ships for something that really doesn't generate any noticable revenue.

Any feedback on the app from people who have used it?

I can live just as well without it - it has some nice features regarding up-to-date information but I rather carry the Freestyle Daily than a phone with me all the time. Reservations can be done from any phone onboard, as well as calling to cabins etc.

The voice (VoIP) and chat functions were ok provided that the software was connected - when we tried the app (with recent iPhones) on Epic, we had the software to "hang" (disconnect from the network) several times a day so we couldn't rely at all that we'd be reachable through the app.

Any information on why the NCL iConceierge app is only available on the newer ships? In theory it seems like a great feature to have access to regardless of which ship you are on.

Any feedback on the app from people who have used it?

Installation.

It requires large upgrades to ship's computer systems (just the hardware/software needed for the navigation channel alone is about $30k per ship) so it it very unlikely that they would upgrade systems on all the ships for something that really doesn't generate any noticable revenue.

I can live just as well without it - it has some nice features regarding up-to-date information but I rather carry the Freestyle Daily than a phone with me all the time. Reservations can be done from any phone onboard, as well as calling to cabins etc.

The voice (VoIP) and chat functions were ok provided that the software was connected - when we tried the app (with recent iPhones) on Epic, we had the software to "hang" (disconnect from the network) several times a day so we couldn't rely at all that we'd be reachable through the app.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking more along the lines of being able to communicate with other members of the family on the ship when we weren't all together. But if there are connection problems then I guess there are still some bugs with the program.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking more along the lines of being able to communicate with other members of the family on the ship when we weren't all together. But if there are connection problems then I guess there are still some bugs with the program.

The problem is definitely intermittent. On the Breakaway, four of us had mostly a positive experience with the app with an occasional lapse in service. Two weeks later, my nephew and his group of six had an excellent experience, making calls and texting throughout the cruise with no problems. Even with the occasional problem, I thought the one-time fee of $7.95 for the week was a worthwhile expenditure.

Edited by johnql

Our party of 8 just got off the Breakaway on Sunday and we used the app. It was GREAT!!!! I had no issues carrying around my iphone...I carry it for time and a camera anyway, so it worked out! And having the Freestyle Daily on the phone at all times was PERFECT! I was hoping it would be available on the Dawn for our cruise in July, but doesn't look like it. :(