Taking your own water/soda on board

3poundpuppies

I want to do this on our next cruise (39 days away--yay!!) and I need your input. When you all do take your own water/soda along, do you take a can or bottle of it with you to the dining rooms, or do you just indulge in your cabin? Wasn't sure if NCL would say something if I did take it with us into the dining areas.

Thanks in advance!

Really ! You would walk into a restaurant with a can off soda brought with you

Sure, for example my can of Schweppes Ginger Ale looks just the same as ship's. People can also have free sodas as a perk in their suites and it'd just be dumb not to take a soda with you from the cabin if going to eat and planning to drink soda with food anyway.

Edited by Demonyte

Do you wrap it in packaging tape and then tag it?

We have brought them as-is, usually straight from the grocery store to a taxi and then straight to the port, we always get the tags for all our luggage from porters anyway. So far no casualities even with non-taped soda cases :D

Edited by Demonyte

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yep, do it all the time...why not!:rolleyes: It's allowed! Is it any different than people walking around the ship with their beer cans or bottles?:cool:

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What's the problem with doing that? I drink A & W Root Beer, and NCL doesn't serve that........ So why wouldn't I bring my own bottle of soda into the dining room?

Others are bashing you, but I won't. I would never carry my own beverage into any restaurant, whether they had my "brand" or not. I'm a craft beer snob, but I wouldn't think of bringing a bottle of my own beer into an establishment that sells beer. I would find something else to drink, like water.

Now, having got that off my chest :) it is not against the rules or policy on NCL, so since it's allowed, the OP can do it without any worry about getting stopped by "soda police" on board. Whether or not it's a socially acceptable thing to do is not the question at hand.

Yep, do it all the time...why not!:rolleyes: It's allowed! Is it any different than people walking around the ship with their beer cans or bottles?:cool:

sure it's different. You bought the beer from NCL and they allow you to drink said beer anywhere on their ship.

sure it's different. You bought the beer from NCL and they allow you to drink said beer anywhere on their ship.

How is it different, they also allow you to drink any own non-alcoholic beverages anywhere on their ship. Your logic is flawed. ;)

You are allowed to carry on soda & people will take it wherever they want. If enough people take the sodas & water they carried on the ship into public areas, no one should be surprised to show up at a port to find they no longer allow you to carry on non-alcoholic beverages. Ask the Princess cruisers that frequently posted about pouring their own wine in the cabin & carrying it into restaurants, shows, etc. how that worked out for them. The cruise lines are in the business of making money & will change policies to facilitate it, if they feel they're losing money due to generous policies. I don't really care what people do, but those who post they bring their carried on drinks into public areas rather than purchase a drink from the cruise line, should consider that doing so may eventually lead to a change in policy that affects everyone. JMO

Edited by tarheelmjfan

You are allowed to carry on soda & people will take it wherever they want. If enough people take the sodas & water they carried on the ship into public areas, no one should be surprised to show up at a port to find they no longer allow you to carry on non-alcoholic beverages. Ask the Princess cruisers that frequently posted about pouring their own wine in the cabin & carrying it into restaurants, shows, etc. how that worked out for them. The cruise lines are in the business of making money & will change policies to facilitate it, if they feel they're losing money due to generous policies. I don't really care what people do, but those who post they bring their carried on drinks into public areas rather than purchase a drink from the cruise line, should consider that doing so may eventually lead to a change in policy that affects everyone. JMO

Ifs, ands or buts. Only a minority of cruisers will even bother to bring their own sodas onboard - those that drink more than three sodas a day are better off and usually will purchase the soda package because it's much more convinient (I for example try to keep my soda drinking at minimum so the soda package isn't a good deal for me but we also spend a lot of time in our cabin reading etc so I prefer having soda cans there for the convinience). Of those that do bring their own sodas, only few will bother to go back to the cabin every time they'd like to get one. Also there are a lot of people that are just fine without sodas all together so most people bringing sodas show to NCL like them - they would be just as much to blame here. ;)

Ifs, ands or buts. Only a minority of cruisers will even bother to bring their own sodas onboard - those that drink more than three sodas a day are better off and usually will purchase the soda package because it's much more convinient (I for example try to keep my soda drinking at minimum so the soda package isn't a good deal for me but we also spend a lot of time in our cabin reading etc so I prefer having soda cans there for the convinience). Of those that do bring their own sodas, only few will bother to go back to the cabin every time they'd like to get one. Also there are a lot of people that are just fine without sodas all together so most people bringing sodas show to NCL like them - they would be just as much to blame here. ;)

Sadly, I'm one of those people who needs 2 Diet Pepsis to get moving in the morning, so I do carry them on to have in the cabin. Unless things have changed recently, this isn't absolutely necessary on NCL, because they carry Pepsi products. (At least they did, when I sailed with them to Alaska.) On other cruise lines the ability to carry them on is more important. I would be very unhappy, if they no longer allowed me to bring my own. (Diet Coke just doesn't do it for me.) However, having them in the cabin on all cruise lines keeps DH from doing early morning runs looking for Diet Pepsis, if he wants to get me out of the cabin before dinner time. :p We drink other things at our meals, so I've never even considered carry a can to the dining room.

Considering the number of passengers who would bring their carried on beverages in public spaces, you're right to say it may not be an issue now. To keep the numbers down people probably shouldn't recommend doing it on message boards though, especially boards monitored by the cruise lines.;) Princess cruisers refused to accept they may put a stop to carrying in your own wine, until they made a major change to their carry-on wine policy. My point is it's probably best to keep things that could be seen as exploiting loopholes to yourself, so everyone doesn't have to deal with stricter policies.

ETA: Those who don't normally drink soda wouldn't have been buying it either way. Those who carry it on probably would be. They're two different situations & one doesn't have the potential to negatively affect policies like the other does.

Edited by tarheelmjfan