For our 2nd Cruise: Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallin, Riga

GLOCKer

So, my wife and I just booked our second cruise ever; a Royal Caribbean cruise leaving from Stockholm to Helsinki, two days in St. Petersburg, then to Tallinn Estonia and Riga Latvia. It leaves July 13th, and we're excited!

We've never been to this area of the world and I'm looking for some pointers for these ports. I'd appreciate ANYTHING you might consider helpful.

The only thing we know that we really want to do is the 18 hour Flightseeing trip to Moscow from St. Petersburg. I know it's going to majorly cut into time on St. Petersburg, but it's something we REALLY want to do.

Thank you!

Welcome to our little corner of the world!

I believe that it better to link to older answers, than post the same answers, pictures or videos over and over again. Therefore you can take a look at this older thread where I answered regarding Riga.

A small curiosity: If you do one of the hop on hop off buses, you will actually hear my voice if you choose the Norwegian language track:)

Again, welcome to Riga!

Edited by Norwegianlatvian

So, my wife and I just booked our second cruise ever; a Royal Caribbean cruise leaving from Stockholm to Helsinki, two days in St. Petersburg, then to Tallinn Estonia and Riga Latvia. It leaves July 13th, and we're excited!

We've never been to this area of the world and I'm looking for some pointers for these ports. I'd appreciate ANYTHING you might consider helpful.

The only thing we know that we really want to do is the 18 hour Flightseeing trip to Moscow from St. Petersburg. I know it's going to majorly cut into time on St. Petersburg, but it's something we REALLY want to do.

Thank you!

Yes, welcome to our little corner of Cruise Critic. You will love the Baltics.

First thing is you need to do some reading. Many of your questions will be answered by just spending some time going thru many of the threads on the first few pages. Many people have asked the exact same questions as you, and are also looking for ideas. We have answered them countless times. Do some reading and then, as you want to ask more specific questions, we are all here to help.

One thing I have to know. How are you planning on doing this trip to Moscow?. Is that a ship's excursion, private tour company or on your own? As you said, something like this will not just cut into your time in St Petersburg, it may completely destroy it. If you are only in St Petersburg for 2 days and you are going to Moscow for 18 hours, that really doesn't leave much time for St Petersburg. I guess you could squeeze a few hours in, but you will not come anywhere near seeing what this marvelous city has to offer. But it's your holiday and you have to do what makes you happy, so just go for it.

Cheers

Len

Welcome to our little corner of the world!

I believe that it better to link to older answers, than post the same answers, pictures or videos over and over again. Therefore you can take a look at this older thread where I answered regarding Riga.

A small curiosity: If you do one of the hop on hop off buses, you will actually hear my voice if you choose the Norwegian language track:)

Again, welcome to Riga!

Just stumbled upon this thread ... we are doing a Baltics cruise in June on RCCL BUT, although it is not on the cruise itinerary, it was the Riga part I was interested in! This is because my son is getting married in Latvia in August to a lovely Latvian lady. About 30 of us are travelling to Riga from the UK and then on to the wedding about 30 mins away. :)

Whilst everyone else is staying in Riga, my OH, our other son, his young family and my 90 yr old Mother in Law have rented a house about 10 mins from the beach at Jurmala for a week!

Although my future DiL can give us lots of advice, it is always handy to get hints and tips from other people. :)

Thank you!

K