I wish I knew then...........

ClaudiaF

On another board the subject came up of what do you wish you knew

"before" you cruised....

there were some very, very interesting ideas.. so let's see what we come up with to help each other..

since we have taken a zillion cruises a few things I never leave home to cruise without..

are a power strip ( extra plugs)

and camera manual :D

Along with our laptop for working on photos that we take, I bring along a supply (depending on length of cruise) of CDs to back up the photos. Also lots of extra batteries and an extention cord. I also have a separate small see-through bag filled with things like extra aspirin, moleskin (for potential blisters), first aid cream, safety pins--stuff I don't need but might.

Esther

Less clothes....lots less of them. Especially since I can do laundry on board. It gives me extra room in my suitcase for all the stuff I buy (especially all the shoes!). :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how conservatively I try to pack, I could travel for a month on my suitcase. I swear that on the Baltic trip, my suitcase will not look like it is about to give birth, PRIOR to leaving home. :o

But, that does remind me, I usually try to bring extra shoe bags with me. That way I can put new purchases in them, or use them to store outdoor shoes that are not too clean.

My iPod and travel speaker...can't leave home without those two.

e

The small containers that hold film are actually great for liquids - nothing will leak out! The size is perfect for small amounts of lotion, nail polish remover, etc. I always put them in a ziploc bag but none have ever opened by accident.

Whether we travel by car, plane or (lately) cruise ship, there is one item we never leave at home: Our wonderful laundry line, sold by magellans.com.

As former airline staff we traveled by air, mostly with carry-on luggage only, which necessitated frequent washing of our high-tech (quick drying) underwear and socks. etc. Having that laundry line made traveling light feasible. On our last (and only cruise so far) we used it on the balcony for our wet stuff.

Here is Magellan's sales pitch.

Flexo-line

For the strength to hold all your wet laundry, forget those cute little suction-cup clotheslines. The Flexo-line holds up to 12 lb of wet clothes, thanks to its surgical-quality, natural latex rubber tubing which is woven in THREE braids (not the usual two). Just loop its ends around a doorknob, hook, shower head, or rod (it stretches to seven feet), then poke a corner of your wet garment in the tight braid to dry. No clothespins needed. Stores in a handy little 3 x 5 pouch. 1¼ oz. (end)

Sometimes the two attachment points are further apart than 7 feet. The tightly stretched rubber would put quite a strain on the fixtures. So we have added a shoelace at each end, because that was the only string we had at one time. The added length gives you much more flexibility. So far we have not bothered replacing the laces with something else.

Don't laugh, but a bungee cord - to keep open your veranda door that can blow shut due to wind.....depending where you are on the ship. Also a door stop - put it in the door to make sure no one can get in when you need privacy. Had a housekeeper barge in once........despite me yelling "just a minute!"

Claudia......can you email me? I've got a question.....lsa123@yahoo.com

Archived