Juneau Hike and Trek

Isasprings

Im looking into doing the above and beyond alaska excursion.. glacier hike and trek, its 7 hrs long. Is anyone else intested in doing this, for those going on the May 6- Alaska cruise on the Miracle ? I want to get a private tour together. My boyfriend and I wanted to do this, with atleast 1 other person the price drops siginificantly. Let me know if any singles or couples are intrested. Checkout the Above and Beyond website for details.

Cost:

2 people = $375 per person plus 5% local sales tax

3-4 people = $275 per person plus 5% local sales tax

5-6 people = $250 per person plus 5% local sales tax

Im looking into doing the above and beyond alaska excursion.. glacier hike and trek, its 7 hrs long. Is anyone else intested in doing this, for those going on the May 6- Alaska cruise on the Miracle ? I want to get a private tour together. My boyfriend and I wanted to do this, with atleast 1 other person the price drops siginificantly. Let me know if any singles or couples are intrested. Checkout the Above and Beyond website for details.

Cost:

2 people = $375 per person plus 5% local sales tax

3-4 people = $275 per person plus 5% local sales tax

5-6 people = $250 per person plus 5% local sales tax

I advise you to go to your cruise roll call.

• 4 months later...

It was amazing. The hike was strenuous so I would only recommend it for those in good shape. There were parts were you have to be on your hands and knees climbing up rocks. They also hike at a quick pace. We would stop and wait for the slower people to catch up and then keep hiking, so if you are faster then you got some breaks, but if you are slow don't expect it. There is a time crunch because it's such a long excursion but I felt there was enough time to enjoy things, but not going to be enough time if you need frequent breaks.

The guides were great. I think we had 3 guides and 10-11 people in our group. They gave us a ziploc bag with lots of snacks, bagel, crackers, candy and some other things.

The actual glacier was beautiful. You don't hike very far into it. The caves are along the side. One cave we went into was very difficult to get to. I had to be on my hands and feet very low to the ground basically crawling on my stomach but trying not to get wet. There was a small waterfall to climb down. The other cave was bigger and you could walk into it. It was amazing, the highlight of the whole cruise.

I would recommend bringing, layers of clothing. It was warm when we went so people just had shorts and tshirts. Also good wool socks since your feet will get wet. I was soaked every where after the cave. Plus your own water bottle, although they give you some too. Sunglasses are a good idea too. They provide all the gear including rain clothes and backpacks.

I totally agree with Jolucy. It was one of the highlights of our cruise! We booked a private tour for our family of (4) myself and my husband are in our 40's and our 2 boys are ages 10 and 13. Our guide stated that we could do more and go more places because we were all in pretty good shape. You can only go as far as your weakest link if you know what I mean and in our case, it was me. The rocks were slick at times, my son and my husband were having a competition of who could fall the most!

We did not get wet. However, we were there the first week of June so it may be warmer there with more ice melting. Our guide was great and very patient. We trekked on the glacier, drank glacier water, and went into an ice cave. The weather was great and the glacier was super cool! I mean how many people can say, that they went to Alaska and hiked a glacier??

My husband and I both said that after doing the trek on the glacier that Glacier Bay was actually underwelming. When I go somewhere, my goal is to actually experience it not just say, "I say I've seen it."

I always say "enjoy the ride" but I like this quote from Mark Twain better...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed in the things that you didn't do then by the ones that you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour, and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed in the things that you didn't do then by the ones that you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour, and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain.

I love this quote.

Thanks Jolucy and Trip Biatch for your reports on the Glacier Trek. I hope I am not the weak link in our group. Since I booked this last December, I have suffered some set backs in my exercise routine due to an injury. I have finished Physical Therapy and will have about a Month of full training in before I do this trip next month - so I plan to be ready to conquer the Glacier.

Tracey,

I am not a gal who exercises on a regular basis so you should be fine if you are actually "training."

Kelly

Thanks for the encouragement Kelly. My "Training" is rebuilding my endurance up for the longer trek.