driving directions from Progresso to Chitzen Itza

charyoung

Could someone give us directions? We will be leaving from Progresso Exective car rental and going to Chitzen. I have seen a map, but would prefer the direct driving info from someone who has been this route. Thanks!

I haven't driven it but according to the map in Yucatan Today, it's Rt 261 to Merida (about 21 miles) and then Rt 188 to Chichen Itza (about 70 miles). Don't know how long it would take to drive through or around Merida. If you have to drive through the city it could add 30 minutes. In looking at the map again there appears to be an expressway/beltway around the city named on the map as Periferico that would speed up the Merida encounter.

The roads are pretty good outside of Merida where it can be congested. Nice large parking lot at the entrance to the ruins. Remember there is an extra fee if carrying a video recorder.

Hope this helps.

I got the route from progresso to merida and meridia to chitzen. It's the going through (or around) meridia that I can't find info on. I've looked all over the internet and this is vague. Would prefer to go around the town on the way there and through the historical district on the way back if we have time. Thanks!

Well, now I am second guessing myself about driving! Shoul we just take the ship excursion? It is $80pp and there are 4 of us. We would definately save money by driving ourselves as the rental car is $57! Do you think it is do-able? How was the ship excursion? Thanks for all your help! This time, next week~we will be on the high seas!!!!

I would definitely rent the car. I've used Executive on Cozumel and satisfied.

Renting gives you more options. An hour and a half to two hours may be enough at the ruins. The sun is intense. I don't use ship's excursions. Do get a guide at the ruins. I think they charge $25 and worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Be careful if you drive. The road is narrow and it seemed much like the autobaun. Another hint. Don't eat any food offered in the little town outside of the ruins. I made the mistake and payed with montezuma's revenge for 8 days. Have fun and bring plenty of cold water. This is the hottest spot on earth in my opinion.

Archived