Check with Porter or Carry-On?

Em_

I'm debating whether or not I should carry my bag on the boat, or check it with the porter. What do you all think is best? Has anyone had their luggage get lost? Does that happen as often as it does when flying?

I'm also wondering which to do because I'll have all of our toiletries in my bag, and between hair products, lotion, sunscreen, etc., there will be a lot of little bottles. I will *not* be trying to sneak any booze on board, but am concerned that having all those bottles will trigger an inspection and cause my luggage to be delivered late. Should I carry it on to avoid that? Sailing out of Miami.

Thanks for your advice!

Check you bag unless you want to lug it around until your cabin is ready. Make sure your room tag is securely attached and it wont be a problem. every now and then (30+ cruises) you'll get a flier in your room of a missing bag or 2. Also they have a room set up with luggage that tags have fallen off of. For me....never lost a bag.

I'm debating whether or not I should carry my bag on the boat, or check it with the porter. What do you all think is best? Has anyone had their luggage get lost? Does that happen as often as it does when flying?

I'm also wondering which to do because I'll have all of our toiletries in my bag, and between hair products, lotion, sunscreen, etc., there will be a lot of little bottles. I will *not* be trying to sneak any booze on board, but am concerned that having all those bottles will trigger an inspection and cause my luggage to be delivered late. Should I carry it on to avoid that? Sailing out of Miami.

Thanks for your advice!

I would NEVER check any bag that had a lot of tolietries or anything breakable inside!!! The checked luggage is not treated kindly and they stack it sky high in the bins. If your luggage is on the bottom of the pile......:eek:

I would NEVER check any bag that had a lot of tolietries or anything breakable inside!!! The checked luggage is not treated kindly and they stack it sky high in the bins. If your luggage is on the bottom of the pile......:eek:

If I carry it on, will security want to search it because of the toiletries showing up on the x-ray? I guess I don't care if they do, since I have nothing to hide, but would like to avoid having someone dig through my bag in front of everyone!

I guess the second part to my question then is - for all of you who carry on bags, how often do they get pulled for inspection (again, I won't be trying to sneak any booze or anything on). Just wondering how this all works!

If I carry it on, will security want to search it because of the toiletries showing up on the x-ray? I guess I don't care if they do, since I have nothing to hide, but would like to avoid having someone dig through my bag in front of everyone!

I guess the second part to my question then is - for all of you who carry on bags, how often do they get pulled for inspection (again, I won't be trying to sneak any booze or anything on). Just wondering how this all works!

As long as your are not smuggling booze they don't care how many small bottles you have. We put our wine which is allowed in our carryon and they don't even bother with checking that.

You will be just fine whatever toiletries you bring......with so many people flying they are use to seeing it.

Thanks for your advice!

The normal process is to leave your main luggage with the dock personnel at the pier as you leave your bus or car. You can take a much smaller, carry on bag (with wheels) for your personals, camera and any other more valuable luggage. You can legally bring 1 bottle of liquor and about a dozen soft drinks. That can save you at least $25 for the liquor and about $36 to $48 for the soft drinks. Those items have to be in your carry on. I also laminate the luggage tags since they can be easily ripped off. I have been on 17 Carnival cruises and never had a inspection issue following the above recommendations.

The normal process is to leave your main luggage with the dock personnel at the pier as you leave your bus or car. You can take a much smaller, carry on bag (with wheels) for your personals, camera and any other more valuable luggage. You can legally bring 1 bottle of liquor and about a dozen soft drinks. That can save you at least $25 for the liquor and about $36 to $48 for the soft drinks. Those items have to be in your carry on. I also laminate the luggage tags since they can be easily ripped off. I have been on 17 Carnival cruises and never had a inspection issue following the above recommendations.

You cannot bring liquor....!!!???

You are allowed 2 (750ml) of wine and a small amount of water or soft drinks all of which must be carryon (you cannot check it).

The above statement in red is INCORRECT. You may bring on 1 750 ml bottle of wine per adult 21 and older.

Check it. Why bother lugging all of that stuff around the ship?

Because I was nervous that having the bottles of toiletries could cause it to be inspected, and then be delayed getting delivered, and wanted to see how common it was for bags to get lost. So that's why I asked all of you experts what you thought :)

Because I was nervous that having the bottles of toiletries could cause it to be inspected, and then be delayed getting delivered, and wanted to see how common it was for bags to get lost. So that's why I asked all of you experts what you thought :)

It's not like an airport. The porters are delivering to only 1 ship.

It's not like an airport. The porters are delivering to only 1 ship.

That's exactly what I was going to say! Baggage delivery is usually spot-on.

The only time we had issues was when we were upgraded at the port from OV to Verandah Suite on the Inspiration a few years back. Our bags were delivered to our original room, so we had to go look for them and find them ourselves.

Thanks for your advice!

How big is your bag?

How big is your bag?

It's not big, it's a smaller roller bag. I fly several times a month for work and always put it in the overhead with no problem, so it wouldn't be a big deal to carry it on.

However, it is good to know that they're only loading luggage for the one boat. I wasn't sure if baggage was checked and then sorted by boat like at airports, or what. So glad to know that the chance of it getting lost when checked with the porter isn't very likely.

Thanks everyone!

I always carry on all of my toiletries for the exact reason you thought of. I don't want the bottles to be flagged for inspection by security and have them digging through my stuff. Yuck. I take a lot of products between hair, skin care, makeup, perfume, meds, suntan lotions/creams, etc. That bag is put through the scanner and sometimes they take a peek inside, but more often than not it just goes through. I usually put any non alcoholic drinks and wine we take in a separate bag that they thoroughly will scrutinize, after it gets scanned. Checked luggage has only clothes, shoes, belts, bags in them. No liquids. That's just how I do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always carry on all of my toiletries for the exact reason you thought of. I don't want the bottles to be flagged for inspection by security and have them digging through my stuff. Yuck. I take a lot of products between hair, skin care, makeup, perfume, meds, suntan lotions/creams, etc. That bag is put through the scanner and sometimes they take a peek inside, but more often than not it just goes through. I usually put any non alcoholic drinks and wine we take in a separate bag that they thoroughly will scrutinize, after it gets scanned. Checked luggage has only clothes, shoes, belts, bags in them. No liquids. That's just how I do it.

Glad to hear someone else had the same train of thought :) I think I'll do exactly what you do, carry on the toiletries so the bag doesn't get held up. Thanks!!

The above statement in red is INCORRECT. You may bring on 1 750 ml bottle of wine per adult 21 and older.

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I said liquor and meant wine. I attribute the mistake to old age and cruise withdrawal. I just returned from a cruise last week end.

The odds are higher for a TSA employee going through your checked luggage at the airport than a cruise ship employee going through it. Every other flight someone in my party gets the "random" your luggage was searched paper in the suitcase. I have ever had anyone go through my luggage on a ship. I pack toiletries, downy wrinkle release, full size shampoo, mouthwash, etc.

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I said liquor and meant wine. I attribute the mistake to old age and cruise withdrawal. I just returned from a cruise last week end.

Lol, I suffer from cruise fog for several months after my cruise. The only cure is to get on another ship ASAP, :)

I carry on valuables, wine and what I need through dinner. Everything else gets checked. It's vacation and I have no desire to carry on anymore than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I do, if I will need it before dinner- I carry it on with my wine & pop/water. If I don't need it, I leave it in the bag for the porter to take to our cabin. Never had an issue, so far anyway.

I don't think that luggage gets lost as easily as the airlines do, but I could be wrong.

It's up to you if you want to carry on or check luggage. If you check it, it may not arrive at your cabin until almost dinner time on the first night, so you are without anything that you have in your luggage until that time. (Yes, it can arrive sooner, but there have been a couple of cruises we've been on where it arrived right before dinner).

I don't know if they will really let you carry on huge luggage bags, but again, I could be wrong, simply because I don't see a lot of people carrying on all of their luggage.

If you do carry on your luggage, it means having to carry it around with you until sometime between 1 and 1:30. Maybe it's not an issue, especially if you board around 12 or 12:30, you only have about an hour or so to carry it around with you, and by the time you get done with lunch, things may not be so bad.

My best advice is to carry on at least one carry-on size luggage with essentials, toiletries, at least a couple change of clothes, sun screen, etc., so that you at least have something in case you need it that first afternoon and you have something in case something unfortunate did happen to your luggage as well.

We have always given the porter our luggage with all our toiletries in there. Nothing has EVER been broken or spilled. We fly and can't carry that stuff on a plane (shampoo, hair spray, perfume, make up etc) so it gets packed with the clothing and it makes it thru both the airlines and the ship porters. If you pack it properly and well, it won't break.....it never has for us and we pack ALOT of suitcases and ALL of our liquids in the checked luggage.

I always put my toiletries in my checked bag but I pack them in the middle and have them all in Ziploc bags just in case one leaks. This time I am packing a small cooler with a hard plastic liner and am going to pack all those things inside it within my checked bag.

We have always given the porter our luggage with all our toiletries in there. Nothing has EVER been broken or spilled. We fly and can't carry that stuff on a plane (shampoo, hair spray, perfume, make up etc) so it gets packed with the clothing and it makes it thru both the airlines and the ship porters. If you pack it properly and well, it won't break.....it never has for us and we pack ALOT of suitcases and ALL of our liquids in the checked luggage.

Thanks, but I wasn't concerned anything breaking or leaking, I was concerned that seeing so many bottles on the x-ray may make them search my bag thinking that some of it could be alcohol (which it's not).