Credit Card Travel Notification

rothbury

One tip that has been helpful is to photocopy the front and back of ALL the cards in your wallet (including driver's license) and taking a copy with you to leave in the ship safe and leaving one at home or with a trusted friend/relative. This way, if you get pickpocketed or lose a card, you have the customer service number and info to cancel the Card right away.

Also wanted to respond to the OP's suggestion that cards without the chip & pin will not be accepted in Europe - that has not been my experience. The only place we could not use our "normal" credit card is at a train ticket machine in Amsterdam and a similar subway ticket machine in Vienna. In the first case, we had to wait in line to speak to a train representative, which of course, costs extra. In Vienna, I was able to use my bank/debit card, which has a PIN associated with it. With all other vendors, we didn't have any issues.

That being said, more credit card companies are issuing chip and signature cards upon request (including Amex), which are more "safe" than the magnetic stripe cards we mostly use in the US today, but could still pose an issue at certain machines (tickets, gas stations, etc.) that require a PIN for the transaction, especially if there isn't a person there to help or run the payment through a different way.

Some more helpful info on chip-and-PIN vs. chip-and-signature:

http://www.cardhub.com/edu/chip-and-pin-vs-chip-and-signature/

Info from Amex:

http://chipandsignature.americanexpress.com

I'd never photocopy any of my cards. I'd be worried in case I lost the copies. Much safer to write down the numbers somewhere separately and disguise them lto look like telephone numbers.

The chip and pin technology for credit cards is not new-it has been around for at least 4 years that I am aware of-probably longer.

Your credit or debit card provider sends a card with a chip embedded in it (about 3/4 inch square and shiney). You assign your pin number to the card. Every time it is used the clerk brings a hand held to you, you accept the charge, enter your pin, and wait for the authorization. Now, you do not even have to slide the card into the hand held...you just have to wand it over the top of the unit.

Our cards still have a mag stripe on the back in order to make them backwards compatable with older technology.

My guess is that the credit card folks are working on the next generation of card protection enhancements.

Here is how one retail bank describes it to it's customers:

https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards/services-security/chip-cards.html

Yes, you're right. I've had mine for probably around 10 years or more.

I bolded your statement only to ask a question.. Just pulled up the Bank of America info on Chip & Pin cards & their info seems to show that normally a bank will assign the Pin.. (BTW BOA does not have chip & pin cards yet)

My question is: Does anyone know what card lets you assign your own PIN Number to it? I would like to get two of our cards changed to either chip & pin or chip & signature, but don't want to have anyone else assign the PIN No...

Thanks..Betty

UPDATE: Just read the WEB site you posted from a Canadain Bank which says you assign your own PIN number to it..That's what I am looking to get..My debit card has my own PIN but would like to have it on a credit card too..

You won't use the same pin number for both, will you? Not a good idea, although I agree it's easier. I mainly use my credit card when travelling and I have to practise saying it in my head for a week or so before departing.:)

Don't forget before you travel to have your bank raise your daily limit. Last spring while shopping at Delft pottery in Delft, Netherlands, our card was denied because the purchase was over the daily limit. I couldn't get any Euros out of ATMs until the next day.

Glenn:cool:

Good information

We used to always call American Express to give them our travel dates and plans. About 4 years ago they told us that we don't need to call them each time. They keep track of our dates for airline flying and cruising as we purchase and pay for those items.

Ditto with Amex. I've had both Visa and M/C deny charges in foreign ports, but never American Express. As they advertise, "don't leave home without it".

Just pulled up the Bank of America info on Chip & Pin cards & their info seems to show that normally a bank will assign the Pin.. (BTW BOA does not have chip & pin cards yet)

You are correct that BoA does not allow you to set the Pin but their Travel Rewards card is a chip/pin card.

Edited by jaspersmycat

You won't use the same pin number for both, will you? Not a good idea, although I agree it's easier. I mainly use my credit card when travelling and I have to practise saying it in my head for a week or so before departing.:)

No not the same pin number but I would like to assign my own pin number so I can be sure to remember it..

You are correct that BoA does not allow you to set the Pin but their Travel Rewards card is a chip/pin card.

Thanks for that info..

Betty,

The credit card companies make money each time we use our credit cards. The merchants have to pay a percentage of the purchase as fee for every charge made using that bank's card.

Yes I know they make some money off of our cards, but some of them would make a lot more if only we kept a balance each month like our kids do! LOL:eek::eek:

Would not get much sleep if we had bills unpaid, but admit I'm a bit old fashioned..:)

Last year when someone got into our checking account illegally to charge a magazine, we changed the account number & advised all our bill collectors..

Two or three of them did not make the switch on their records right away & sent the request for payment to our old account number..When the bank bounced it back to them for insufficient funds, I had to write a letter explaining the problem to get them to take off the service charge.:( What a pain in the neck that was

Betty

P.S. I don't have any of those special credit card holders which block someone from scanning my purse, but a friend just showed me that she puts plain old Reynolds Wrap behind each card & then in front of the cards inside her main wallet

Edited by serendipity1499

Forgot to add I ordered a 25 pack of credit card protectors for $12.95 plus $5. shipping from Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Stronghold-Secure-Sleeve-Credit/dp/B00CMA56IC/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1E8AJDELN2AKR

P.S. Jaspersmycat..Love your little Kitty's picture.. Wish I could also have a cat as a companion to my Pup, but DH very allergic to them & had to give up my three cats to another family member when we got married..

Edited by serendipity1499

Just a head's up for new cruisers and cruisers leaving soon.

Don't forget to notify your credit card company about your travel plans. If the company thinks the charges are suspicious they may stop your credit card. Especially after the latest breach from Target. Happened to my brother on vacation not too long ago.

Also, maybe an hour ago now Citibank/Citicard announced they now have international chip technology available upon request. No charge to upgrade. Might be worth considering if you are a cardholder with them or any other company that has "chip technology".

Not sure, some of our foreign travelers would know more than me but I believe some countries are almost not accepting cards without embedded chips.

Good advice. I ALWAYS, every time without fail, call the credit card companies, and notify my bank (debit card). They are always very happy that I called and gave them notification. It is for your own protection.