Shark Ray Alley in Belize, or Sting Ray City in Cayman

KnitNZen

Any opinions from anyone who has done both, as to which is a better tour?

Any opinions on who to book with? We are on Carnival but are open to going with an independent operator if they are good about getting us back on time.

I also am very interested in going to 7 mile beach in Cayman and don't know if we'd have time for both the rays and the beach? or if they are far from each other.

Edited by KnitNZen

Very different tours.

In Grand Cayman, it will be a cruise highlight. We've done it twice. Very tame sting rays you can actually touch and hold.

In Belize, you only look at them. But's it's still very cool. Belize is on the second largest reef on the planet, so there is lots to see.

We just did shark ray alley on the magic in January. It was the best ship tour we have ever done. We usually book our own but because of the distance we were worried if something happened. You are in the ocean and the rays and sharks swim all around you, even through your legs. You are touching them as much as you want. The tour only holds around 30 people and a crew of around 7. We have already booked it for our July cruise with our teenagers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sting Ray City is by far, my favorite excursion on my 12 cruises thus far.

Have done it every trip to Grand Cayman and have loved every trip.

Personally I recommend Sting Ray Sailing, but any of the most popular independent companies should be good.

Just, whatever you do, DO NOT book Sting ray City through a cruiseline.

20-30 people on a boat versus the hundreds they pack on the double decker boats through the cruiselines.

By the time the last person on the big boats is getting, they start reboarding.

Bill

Excellent point by Bill. We did NativeWay twice and had no more than a couple dozen folks on our boat. The ship excursion had what looked like a few hundred. Experience is significantly different and more expensive through the ship. By the way, you'll begin to notice that bguppies has some of the best posts on cruise critic. He gives good info and advice.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

Here are the most popular independent Sting Ray City operators...

If you check the Grand Cayman board, you can find tons of good reviews for all of these operators.

Stingray Sailing has been the best time, 3 times for me. (much better than my 1st trip with Nativeway)

http://www.stingraysailing.com/

http://www.mobydicktours.com/

http://www.captainbryans.com/

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

http://www.sotoscruises.com/

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

Hope that helps start your researching.

CaribbeanBound

Thanks for the shout out...

I just try to pay back all of the great info people have given me on these boards, to make all of my cruises so great.

Edited by bguppies

Can you tell me more about the Shark, Rays & Island Getaway tour on Carnival Magic? I am curious about what type of boat they use; does it pick up at the Magic or the Pier; how much time is spent in water; how much time on the island; etc. Any insight you have would be most appreciated!

Can you tell me more about the Shark, Rays & Island Getaway tour on Carnival Magic? I am curious about what type of boat they use; does it pick up at the Magic or the Pier; how much time is spent in water; how much time on the island; etc. Any insight you have would be most appreciated!

My question was for Sarah Sue - I thought it would put reply on her post. This is my first time using this Board!

It was a small but comfortable boat that held around 40 people. I'm not a boater so I don't know the name for the type. No inside seating, 3 small rows up front, 2 in the back and padded seating all the way around. The ride to cay caulker is about an hour. It's an enjoyable ride with lots of info pointed out on the way. You have about an hour in the water with the rays and sharks or you can swim the short distance to the reef to see the fish. You are then taken back to cay caulker for lunch. Food is ready when you get there. They have everything from lobster to hamburgers. Prices are reasonable and it was good. Nice open air dining. You have about 1 1/2 hrs there to eat and walk around. It's not really a beach for swimming atleast where we went. This is a very small rustic island. No paved roads that we saw. Lots of boat docks and restaurants and places to stay. After that it's back on the boat for the ride back. You do have to tender both ways. Carnival doesn't let them pick up or deliver to the ship. Tendering wasn't a problem because they call you in a group from the theater and you all go on the same one. Hope that helps.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app