Current Internet prices

VermeulT

I see that Carnival Corp. extended the agreement with MTN for the terrestrial services in January for their ships that sail in Alaskan waters.

See: http://wetravel2u.wordpress.com/tag/mtn-satellite/

:confused: We've read here that HAL ships will all be switching to Harris, starting with this year's GWV. The article doesn't say HAL is included, but it doesn't say they aren't.

There were times we had broadband speeds of 2.62 Mbps using speed test sites I use in my IT work.

If you got anywhere near those speeds on a regular basis, it would take the sting out of the price.

I'm surprised that they haven't gone to data volume based plans. The current billing system supports it and your usage summary screen shows how much data was consumed in a session.

I guess I shouldn't complain though. I open a couple browser widows and a mail prefetch client. I can do a bulk download, disconnect, work, reconnect, then send. I managed to send/recv a lot of data in a very short connection time.

:confused: We've read here that HAL ships will all be switching to Harris, starting with this year's GWV. The article doesn't say HAL is included, but it doesn't say they aren't.

I know it is confusing. In another article by PRNewswire.com, it states "The agreement covers several Carnival Corporation brands, including Princess Cruises, Cunard and P&O Cruises (UK), and will enable MTN to continue a partnership of more than 20 years in delivering crew welfare and passenger solutions to Carnival."

The next paragraph states "In addition, Carnival Corporation brands in Alaskan waters will continue to leverage MTN's Terrestrial Broadband Services while in port, with the opportunity to explore the possible expansion of this service."

This article was from January 2014 after the agreement was signed. As stated, it did mention other brands, but the key word is "including" which to me implies other brands may also be included. Then the article state that Carnival brands will continue to use this service while in Alaska waters. So, I assume that that would not include Cunard and P&O Cruises (UK).

I first learned about this service from Lisa (LaffNVegas), who had a link to an article about MTN's ground stations, including the seven in Alaska. We both have searched for that link to no avail. We were Lisa on the Zuiderdam last year.

As I recall, the MTN techs disembarked in San Diego after the repo cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. That is when we boarded and continued on the first Alaska cruise of the season. The IT manager said we should see much faster service than on our cruise to Alaska the year before. I was shocked at both upload and download, as I had to make numerous changes on Websites, and upload a few programs where I had to revise some code.

As I stated earlier, I'll find out more when I'm on the Zuiderdam in a few weeks. Hopefully, we will have the same service and that our great service wasn't just a trial. The Internet Manager was the friendliest and most helpful person I've run into in all our HAL cruises. I forgot my wireless mouse that I left in a San Diego motel. He gave me a wired ASUS mouse that comes packaged with the netbooks used on the ship.

The article: http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation-and-mtn-sign-agreement-for-internet-services-and-extend-broadcast-services-agreement-241142081.html