Adventure OTS

terrierjohn

For future reference information as to what areas of the ships are accessible and which are not is posted directly on RCCL's website along with the deck plans for the ship. Here's the link for the Adventure of the Seas

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/printAccessibilityInformation.do?pagename=accessible_features_AD

Hope you find this information helpful.

Edited by xxoocruiser

For future reference information as to what areas of the ships are accessible and which are not is posted directly on RCCL's website along with the deck plans for the ship. Here's the link for the Adventure of the Seas

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/printAccessibilityInformation.do?pagename=accessible_features_AD

Hope you find this information helpful.

Not really it does not answer the questions I posed, and yes I do know that some info exists on cruise line websites.

However I thought CC was a forum that existed to help disseminate useful information between members.

Not really it does not answer the questions I posed, and yes I do know that some info exists on cruise line websites.

However I thought CC was a forum that existed to help disseminate useful information between members.

Yes CC is a forum that help disseminate useful information. With all do respect please refer back to your original post in which you specifically ask the question Are all public areas accessible. The RCCL link provide in my previous post does state which public areas are accessible and which are not so I thought that useful information was be disseminated between member. :confused:

Yes CC is a forum that help disseminate useful information. With all do respect please refer back to your original post in which you specifically ask the question Are all public areas accessible. The RCCL link provide in my previous post does state which public areas are accessible and which are not so I thought that useful information was be disseminated between member. :confused:

It's unlikely that any cruise line will say that a particular lounge is accessible BUT, when full, wheelchair passengers may find it difficult to navigate their way to a free table. However someone who has cruised the ship with a wheelchair will certainly know which areas and times can prove difficult, and how this ship compares with others.

Edited by terrierjohn

It's unlikely that any cruise line will say that a particular lounge is accessible BUT, when full, wheelchair passengers may find it difficult to navigate their way to a free table. However someone who has cruised the ship with a wheelchair will certainly know which areas and times can prove difficult, and how this ship compares with others.

Actually RCCL does state this information on the link provided when saying All dining and bar venues offer wheelchair seating . As a person who uses a mobility scooter regularly , I'm very much aware that even if the venue is designed for wheelchair accessibility just exactly how accessible it is will vary depending on the crowd at the particular time one is at that venue/lounge. Also whether or not people will move to allow you to get to the wheelchair seating is also an unknown factor.

For what it's worth I have been on several other Voyager

Class Ships and have found that class of ships to be very accessible. Also have found that the information posted on RCCL's website as to which public areas are accessible to be accurate. Personally never had an issue with getting into any venue of interest during any of my cruises on this particular class of ship.

Again for what it's worth I have been on many cruise lines and have found that IMPO RCCL has the most accessible ships.

Actually RCCL does state this information on the link provided when saying All dining and bar venues offer wheelchair seating . As a person who uses a mobility scooter regularly , I'm very much aware that even if the venue is designed for wheelchair accessibility just exactly how accessible it is will vary depending on the crowd at the particular time one is at that venue/lounge. Also whether or not people will move to allow you to get to the wheelchair seating is also an unknown factor.

For what it's worth I have been on several other Voyager Class Ships and have found that class of ships to be very accessible. Also have found that the information posted on RCCL's website as to which public areas are accessible to be accurate. Personally never had an issue with getting into any venue of interest during any of my cruises on this particular class of ship.

Again for what it's worth I have been on many cruise lines and have found that IMPO RCCL has the most accessible ships.

Thank you so much, that is exactly the sort of information I was seeking in the first place.:)

Accessible - yes, convenient - not always.

I was on Adventure in 2012 with my mom, who was using a manual wheelchair at that time. There are some areas of the ship where you have to go up/down and change elevators to access.

For example, if going from the Viking Crown on deck 14 to the theater on deck 3, you have to go down the aft elevators to deck 11 or lower then cut over to the central elevators and down to deck 3. If you want to go from the dining room on deck 3 to the theater also on deck 3, you have to take the aft elevators up to deck 4, cut over to the central elevators and back down to 3. It's not a big deal, but waiting for elevators can be a problem.

The chapel on deck 15 is only accessible via stairs, but there is a stair climber for wheelchair users. The wheelchair users would have to transfer to the climber, have someone carry their wheelchair up the stairs, then transfer back to their wheelchair at the top.

Most of the doors leading out to the decks are automatic, but I think there were a few on the upper decks (decks 12 & 13) that were not. However, I may be getting confused with the Radiance class ships. I know on Radiance class the doors leading outside on deck 12 are not automatic.

Voyager class ships, like Adventure, do not have automatic door openers for the cabin doors. This can be a problem for a wheelchair user returning to the cabin alone. The doors are rather heavy so my mom had problems opening the door and maneuvering her wheelchair over the slight threshold into the cabin by herself.

The dining room is a little tight in areas and a wheelchair user would have trouble getting between tables. We asked for a table near the door and were usually accommodated. We had open seating and a couple nights had to sit deeper in the dining room than we preferred. When that happened, the hostess had to ask seated diners to stand up to allow my mom's wheelchair to get around them.

Accessible seating in the theater and skating rink is limited so plan to get there early if you want a spot and have a companion sit with you.

Edited by kyriecat

Accessible - yes, convenient - not always.

I was on Adventure in 2012 with my mom, who was using a manual wheelchair at that time. There are some areas of the ship where you have to go up/down and change elevators to access.

For example, if going from the Viking Crown on deck 14 to the theater on deck 3, you have to go down the aft elevators to deck 11 or lower then cut over to the central elevators and down to deck 3. If you want to go from the dining room on deck 3 to the theater also on deck 3, you have to take the aft elevators up to deck 4, cut over to the central elevators and back down to 3. It's not a big deal, but waiting for elevators can be a problem.

The chapel on deck 15 is only accessible via stairs, but there is a stair climber for wheelchair users. The wheelchair users would have to transfer to the climber, have someone carry their wheelchair up the stairs, then transfer back to their wheelchair at the top.

Most of the doors leading out to the decks are automatic, but I think there were a few on the upper decks (decks 12 & 13) that were not. However, I may be getting confused with the Radiance class ships. I know on Radiance class the doors leading outside on deck 12 are not automatic.

Voyager class ships, like Adventure, do not have automatic door openers for the cabin doors. This can be a problem for a wheelchair user returning to the cabin alone. The doors are rather heavy so my mom had problems opening the door and maneuvering her wheelchair over the slight threshold into the cabin by herself.

The dining room is a little tight in areas and a wheelchair user would have trouble getting between tables. We asked for a table near the door and were usually accommodated. We had open seating and a couple nights had to sit deeper in the dining room than we preferred. When that happened, the hostess had to ask seated diners to stand up to allow my mom's wheelchair to get around them.

Accessible seating in the theater and skating rink is limited so plan to get there early if you want a spot and have a companion sit with you.

Was just on the Explorer of the Seas (which I believe is the same class) and I agree with everything you said.

Yes, the lounges and other areas are accessible but getting a table in the Cafe Promenade that you can actually get your wheelchair to is the tricky part - same for some of the lounges.

The Screening room has 1 (one!) wheelchair place out of 60 seats. If you want to watch the movie, you need to get there early.

The wheelchair seats are all at the back of the main theatre (as least as far as we saw) and filled up quickly.

I also recommend using deck 5 (Promenade deck) as your crossing point for going from forward to aft or aft to forward. It has, in my opinion, the most open space to cross.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Thanks for the extra info Kyriecat and MLF, those lounge and buffet table issues happen on most ships, to a greater or lesser degree.

As regards the promenade deck, is there an outside promenade deck on the Voyager class? The RCI deck plans don't show any doorways on any deck so you can't tell from them where and in what location they are.

If you mean a traditional promenade deck (covered deck that encircles the ship so you can walk a full lap back to your starting point) then Adventure does not have one. I think you can walk a full lap around the ship on the pool deck, but it isn't covered.

If you mean a traditional promenade deck (covered deck that encircles the ship so you can walk a full lap back to your starting point) then Adventure does not have one. I think you can walk a full lap around the ship on the pool deck, but it isn't covered.

Does it have any outside prom deck on deck 4, and can you get to the outdoor deck and observation deck areas in the forward part of deck 5 with a wheelchair or only via stairs?

I know for sure that deck 4 has outdoor areas along the sides of the ship that are accessible. There are automatic doors leading to them. It is not a full promenade.

I am not positive about this, but I think the only way to access the outdoor area on deck 5 forward is via a set of stairs on the outside area of deck 4. I don't think there are any doors leading directly to it from deck 5. I don't remember my mom going out there. I think that was because she couldn't access that area.

I know the only way to get to the observation deck (really it's the helipad) is using a set of stairs from the outdoor area on deck 5 forward.

Thanks for the extra info Kyriecat and MLF, those lounge and buffet table issues happen on most ships, to a greater or lesser degree.

As regards the promenade deck, is there an outside promenade deck on the Voyager class? The RCI deck plans don't show any doorways on any deck so you can't tell from them where and in what location they are.

Deck 4 is the outside deck (our muster station was out there but we were allowed to wait in the schooner bar), deck 5 (Promenade deck) has the inside "Mall" feeling. It holds the Cafe Promenade, the pub, the shops, guest relations, etc. Very easy to cross from the forward elevators to the aft elevators or the other way around - especially if the weather's iffy - no need to go outside or try to push against the wind.