San Juan banks near port

shelbylook

We will have a port stop in San Juan (RCCL Freedom of the Seas) in a couple of weeks. My DH wants to walk to a bank to pick up some coins not available here in the US.

Does anyone know which bank is closest to the piers?

Thanks.

Cathy

You have two banks within two blocks from the main piers. There's a First Bank on the corner behind the Federal Building and to the left of it, keep walking and you'll find a Banco Popular.

Awesome!! Thank you so much!!

Cathy

We will have a port stop in San Juan (RCCL Freedom of the Seas) in a couple of weeks. My DH wants to walk to a bank to pick up some coins not available here in the US.

Does anyone know which bank is closest to the piers?

Thanks.

Cathy

Sorry if I'm completely not understanding this, but what coins would be available in a bank here in PR that are not available in the US? :confused: Collectible/antique coins from a dealer are another thing, but US currency?? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Sorry if I'm completely not understanding this, but what coins would be available in a bank here in PR that are not available in the US? :confused: Collectible/antique coins from a dealer are another thing, but US currency?? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Just regular US coins minted in Denver. I think Denver. Could be Philly. DH said he's been told they are only available in PR. I'm not involved in his coin collecting so I'm going by only what he says. He collects coins, I spend money.;)

Cathy

I hope you have better luck than us, we couldn't even get any Puerto Rico quarters, and never saw any in circulation while we were there (3 days pre, 2 days post cruise). Is that what he is looking for? They were apparently the lowest 'state' quarter in production quantity.

PUerto Rico Quarters

I hope you have better luck than us, we couldn't even get any Puerto Rico quarters, and never saw any in circulation while we were there (3 days pre, 2 days post cruise). Is that what he is looking for? They were apparently the lowest 'state' quarter in production quantity.

PUerto Rico Quarters

He's looking for just rolls of US pennies, nickles and dimes. He's hoping within those rolls to find some D (Denver minted) coins.

Cathy

PUerto Rico Quarters

I'm not trying to make any money here, mods. But I'd just like to say that we bought a few bags of uncirculated Puerto Rico quarters to use as gifts for clients. We have almost a full bag leftover just sitting there. I can pass them on at face value plus postage, if OttoCal or any other well established CruiseCritic is interested. No S&H.

Since CruiseCritic has no private messaging I'm not sure how would we do this without compromising anyone's privacy out in the open here, so any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Aviator of the Seas

I'm not trying to make any money here, mods. But I'd just like to say that we bought a few bags of uncirculated Puerto Rico quarters to use as gifts for clients. We have almost a full bag leftover just sitting there. I can pass them on at face value plus postage, if OttoCal or any other well established CruiseCritic is interested. No S&H.

Since CruiseCritic has no private messaging I'm not sure how would we do this without compromising anyone's privacy out in the open here, so any suggestions are welcome.

That would be pretty cool and much appreciated. I'd offer to pick them up myself but we won't be back in San Juan for a while :( I don't have my next cruise or girls weekend booked yet. :cool:

Can arrange details if you send me an e-mail to:

lisa.everts

at Gmail dot com

Best, OttoCal

We went to Banco Popular. I'm pretty sure the teller (a young man) doesn't have a balanced till on a regular basis.

I gave him a $20. Asked for 2 rolls of pennies, a roll of nickles and a roll of dimes. I'm no math scholar but that's $8 in coins. He gave me back $4. :eek:

It took him at least 3 times in the till to come up with the right amount and that was only after I told him several times he owed us $12.

Cathy