Question about my time dining

We have recently booked what will be our 2nd RCI cruise and this time have chosen the my time dining, is it true that we have to make a reservation? This seems very odd to me, I thought the ides was that you weren't tied to certain times and could go and eat when you wanted to.

Have I missed something?

You can reserve if you want or not.... it's completely your choice. I typically reserve for the first night then wing it the rest of the cruise. Longest wait I have ever experienced is 5 minutes and have always had the same wait staff though not necessarily the same table or companions. I love it.

Reservations for My Time Dining are not required; however, many people do prefer to have them. When you arrive at the MTD area, there are two podiums, one for reservations, and one for those who do not have reservations. From what is reported on these boards, most people do not have to wait too long to be seated. Hope this helps.

You do not need to make a reservation.

We do normally make a reservation but as we leave the dining room each evening we change or cancel for the next night depending on our plans.

There can be a bit of a wait around 7.30

We usually end up with the same table and the same wait staff.

Edited by SadmanCruiser

Thank you that puts my mind at rest :)

I'd heard that when you board, if you haven't made reservations they send you off to take care of it!

They may strongly encourage you to make a reservation, because it makes things easier for them. As others have mentioned, it's up to you.

Edited by clarea

The only time I have made reservations is if we were in a large group. We had 18 on my last cruise. We would have never been able to get tables together or near each other if we hadn't. Other than that I have just shown up, and always were looking at menus within 5 minutes, even during their peak times.

My experience has been very different. Reservations are stongly suggested by the staff. On the Enchantment last month when we arrived at the dining room, without reservations, we were told the next available "reservation" was for a little more than an hour later. So we left and came back an hour later. They don't have pagers like other cruise lines. Our experience was similar on the FOS in November and our summer cruise on the Enchantment. They told us we should make reservations. It seems they really strive to seat you in the same area with the same waiters each night so you can make a connection. We would rather not make reservations and don't care if we have the same wait staff so their system doesn't work that well for us. We have started eating in the buffet more often for dinner, something we never did until last year.

Since I am new to My Time dinning....Which floor is MTD on ? also which entrance do we use?

Every ship I have been on it has been the upper most floor of the MDR. That number can vary between ships. Each floor has a name attached to it, and that name will be on your seapass card. I'm pretty sure all ships have two entrances on each side of the ship. You will go to the one with the podium, and signage advertising MTD.

We prefer the "just show up" method and have not been required to wait more than ten minutes or so.

We haven't always had the same wait staff, but I've never quite understood why that was such a draw for some people. Yeah, I have to say, "This is what I'd like to drink", but so what?

A bit of a different question on the same subject. We were only able to book late dinning or my time. We choose late although I know we're going to get hungry long before time to eat. Either we will have to snack (which I'd rather not do because I'll end up eating two meals instead of one!) or go earlier. The guy who booked us told us that we could go earlier and just wait to be seated. Has anyone done that? Would we need to talk to someone first to do the prepay?

A bit of a different question on the same subject. We were only able to book late dinning or my time. We choose late although I know we're going to get hungry long before time to eat. Either we will have to snack (which I'd rather not do because I'll end up eating two meals instead of one!) or go earlier. The guy who booked us told us that we could go earlier and just wait to be seated. Has anyone done that? Would we need to talk to someone first to do the prepay?

You could visit the MTD desk when you board and ask to be moved to MTD. If they have space, they will move you.

I have it as well and we went online to see the times and from 6 to 7 is totally gone, so what does that mean? Like don't even bothering going at that time or you will be waiting or what?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have it as well and we went online to see the times and from 6 to 7 is totally gone, so what does that mean? Like don't even bothering going at that time or you will be waiting or what?

People report little or no wait just showing up. If you want a reservation, then I'd go to the MTD desk when you board.

Every ship I have been on it has been the upper most floor of the MDR. That number can vary between ships. Each floor has a name attached to it, and that name will be on your seapass card. I'm pretty sure all ships have two entrances on each side of the ship. You will go to the one with the podium, and signage advertising MTD.

The Liberty had one entrance for MTD on the 5th floor with two podiums, one for reservations, and one for those without resevations. We did not have reservations, and were seated immediately. The quick seating was probably due to only needing a table for two, and the time we showed up which was not just after a show let out.

We have recently booked what will be our 2nd RCI cruise and this time have chosen the my time dining, is it true that we have to make a reservation? This seems very odd to me, I thought the ides was that you weren't tied to certain times and could go and eat when you wanted to.

Have I missed something?

You have the option of making reservations any night of the cruise, but you also have the option of just showing up and waiting for an open table like you would at any traditional restaurant. I think it depends on the ship and itinerary, though whether the "just showing up" means no wait at all, or being asked to come back in a few hours when things calm down (I have read both extremes and everything in between here on CC). It may be safer to make a reservation the day before if you have a good idea on when you want to eat the next day.