Would Carnival do this?

KPfromCT

I got a call one time asking about switching and while on the line the rep realized I couldn't switch because my sons were booked next door. I never thought twice about it and don't recall which sailing it was, but I do know that it was a cabin for three where we had booked two of us on Panorama deck. Under normal circumstances they had every right to move us.

On another occasion I was asked to switch decks from six aft wrap to seven for an aft wrap. Deck seven aft wraps are OK, but six is our favorite and we didn't switch. I did notice the aft folks all seemed to be together, but wasn't even slightly uncomfortable.

I'm an easy going person and even moreso when cruising so perhaps I'm callous and uncaring about other people, but their requests sure don't make me uncomfortable. In my line of work I get odd and unusal requests as a matter of routine so that's perhaps why I would advise that it NEVER hurts to ask. A question or request can't come close to offending me and my answer is never influenced by emotion.

Sorry to disappoint you, but many people would not be offended or upset by such a request. During our Imagination sailing several years ago, my sister was asked to switch her connecting cabin so that a family could have the one cabin she was booked in. We've always used a TA and the TA made the call to her. Without hesitation she moved two doors down the hall. Same side of the ship, same cabin and balcony size. Big whoop. The guy was even nice enough to find my sister and thanked her, even though he knocked on the wrong door thinking she was the party directly next to them when she really moved down two doors. People in AFT balconies or cabins where there are very few of the style won't be ask to do another passenger a solid by moving to a cabin that isn't the same.

Not everyone is offended by extending a favor to a stranger. :rolleyes: All you can do is try OP. If the person says no, sobeit.

Hey, when I posted in agreement, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. There sure are people that won't be offended. But there sure are people that would be. There are people that would feel uncomfortable. My mom has gone on cruises. She's old and somewhat meek. If she got a call and didn't want to switch cabins, for whatever reason, she would still probably say okay because she wouldn't want to upset anyone. Then she would call me and ask why they asked her to do that. The point is that if you do ask then you stand a chance of upsetting someone else's vacation. Likely that you won't, and likely in this case, with the cabin being between 2 others there wouldn't be a great reason not to switch. But I'm one of those people that always gets burned when I do a favor for someone. You know, like when you let someone in to traffic and they go so slow you miss the light. I'd be the person that got moved next to a cabin with tons of noisy neighbors or something. That's the only reason my opinion is that it shouldn't be asked.

Edited by frayedend

Actually I think your idea of contacting the PVP is a great idea....they can also look around for two other cabins that may fit your needs (especially when final payments are due).

The PVP could also actually look at a number of cabin options....assuming you are talking about a balcony cabin in a row of similar balcony cabins.......instead of the cabin in the middle - one of you could move over a couple cabins to the "other side" of your friends......

I also don't feel it hurts to ask....and if carnival is asking....lets assume they do it in a conscientious manner....not just saying someone wants to be next to their friends "would you move"?......maybe they could "offer" the other cabin a different room without a lot of explanation and see if it's ok with them......i.e. "we need to move around some of our guests....would you consider cabin xyz...next door?" No pressure and no further explanation or discussion.

One of my favorite quotes "A failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" ~I have no clue who said it.

I think it's pertinent here. I agree with those that indicated they would be uncomfortable with receiving a call like this, as I am the type that always selects exactly which cabin I want and plan ahead, making decisions in a timely manner to secure said cabin. So I would say no, then it would be on mind for the entire trip "someone, I have no clue who, knows my cabin # and is pissed because I would not move" So, they know me, but I don't know them. Just not cool and vacation should not be that way.

Actually I think your idea of contacting the PVP is a great idea....they can also look around for two other cabins that may fit your needs (especially when final payments are due).

The PVP could also actually look at a number of cabin options....assuming you are talking about a balcony cabin in a row of similar balcony cabins.......instead of the cabin in the middle - one of you could move over a couple cabins to the "other side" of your friends......

I also don't feel it hurts to ask....and if carnival is asking....lets assume they do it in a conscientious manner....not just saying someone wants to be next to their friends "would you move"?......maybe they could "offer" the other cabin a different room without a lot of explanation and see if it's ok with them......i.e. "we need to move around some of our guests....would you consider cabin xyz...next door?" No pressure and no further explanation or discussion.

Thanks Paumavista!!!!! It would be great if they used that wording. Lol. We generally do port side, but would even be fine with starboard. Again, no worries if it doesn't work out. Just trying. Lol. I like the way you think!! :D

As I posted earlier, I have done this but I found the person on our roll call. I was doing a b2b and did not book them at the same time so missed out on getting the same cabin for both cruises. When I noticed that someone had my cabin on the 1st cruise, I emailed her and asked her. The cabin I was offering her was actually a better one ( a 4k with space between the lifeboats ) and she agreed no problem. When I called my PVP to arrange it, she said that since I was the one wanting the change, the other person had to do the request through her PVP. My PVP said she was not allowed to call the other person to ask her if she would change. Once the other person called her PVP, our 2 PVP's were able to arrange it. After all that, the other person did not end up in that cabin as she later upgraded to a balcony when there were price drops...lol.

Someone posted that some people book their particular cabin for a reason and that is true in some cases but most of us book and take the cabin that is available when we book, especially if they are the same type cabins that are all in a row. That sounds like what the OP has.

We are all different and the OP will not know unless she tries. If I was the one with the cabin between 2 cabins that were friends, I would feel bad if they had not tried to get me to move. I personally would be only too happy to change as long as I had not already unpacked everything and settled in. Why not help someone out if it does not impact you negatively? If for some reason, I did not want to move, I would explain and hope the person asking would understand. If they are the type to not understand, they probably would have been a lousy neighbor anyways...lol.

Another thing to consider is that not all balconies dividers can be opened so check if it is possible before you go to all that trouble.

If not for the balconies dividers to be opened to have a larger balcony, sometimes it's better for friends to have a little distance from each other's cabins....lol. The walls are thin and sometimes you lose some privacy with your friends/relatives being able to see in your cabin through the balcony doors. Most of us don't keep our curtains closed...lol.

As for compensation for the change, I personally would not expect anything and would be embarrassed to accept any monies. Might be a nice gesture to offer a bottle of wine or maybe a souvenir from your home state or country.:)

As I posted earlier, I have done this but I found the person on our roll call. I was doing a b2b and did not book them at the same time so missed out on getting the same cabin for both cruises. When I noticed that someone had my cabin on the 1st cruise, I emailed her and asked her. The cabin I was offering her was actually a better one ( a 4k with space between the lifeboats ) and she agreed no problem. When I called my PVP to arrange it, she said that since I was the one wanting the change, the other person had to do the request through her PVP. My PVP said she was not allowed to call the other person to ask her if she would change. Once the other person called her PVP, our 2 PVP's were able to arrange it. After all that, the other person did not end up in that cabin as she later upgraded to a balcony when there were price drops...lol.

Someone posted that some people book their particular cabin for a reason and that is true in some cases but most of us book and take the cabin that is available when we book, especially if they are the same type cabins that are all in a row. That sounds like what the OP has.

We are all different and the OP will not know unless she tries. If I was the one with the cabin between 2 cabins that were friends, I would feel bad if they had not tried to get me to move. I personally would be only too happy to change as long as I had not already unpacked everything and settled in. Why not help someone out if it does not impact you negatively? If for some reason, I did not want to move, I would explain and hope the person asking would understand. If they are the type to not understand, they probably would have been a lousy neighbor anyways...lol.

Another thing to consider is that not all balconies dividers can be opened so check if it is possible before you go to all that trouble.

If not for the balconies dividers to be opened to have a larger balcony, sometimes it's better for friends to have a little distance from each other's cabins....lol. The walls are thin and sometimes you lose some privacy with your friends/relatives being able to see in your cabin through the balcony doors. Most of us don't keep our curtains closed...lol.

As for compensation for the change, I personally would not expect anything and would be embarrassed to accept any monies. Might be a nice gesture to offer a bottle of wine or maybe a souvenir from your home state or country.:)

Awwww!!! Thanks for the great post! We always stay next door, so no worries. And, yes, we would send them something from Bon Voyage, ie; chocolate thank you cake, wine, or chocolate covered strawberries. The gesture would NOT go unnoticed. :D

Your initial question was would Carnival do this? Don't know about Carnival but Princess did. We were the benefactors. This was a few years ago.

Upon arriving at the port, we found out we had been assigned to a different cabin. When we went to our new cabin, found out we had been upgraded to a real balcony one and not the obstructed one we thought we had. Now Princess puts your names outside the door of your cabin. Ours was not there so we asked the room stewardess if indeed this was our cabin. She said yes and we should have known better because our cards worked for that cabin...lol.

Anyways, we went down to see where our original cabin was. The new occupants had not arrived and our names were outside this cabin. We asked the room stewardess outside that cabin if she knew why there was a last minute change ( obviously last minute since our names were outside the cabin ) and she said that family members were next door and they wanted to be close together. So to accommodate them, Princess upgraded us.

Not saying that Carnival would or could do this, but it does happen.:)

In this case, we were not asked but since it was an upgrade, Princess just did it.:)

Who are you to tell me what I should do and what I shouldn't do? If you don't like it then stop reading the thread. Clearly you are not the one in this cabin so how does this affect you? Geez

Thank you everyone. :D. Whatever the outcome, at least I know I tried. It's not going to ruin our cruise, by any means!!!!! Lol. We are very laid back and easy going. No worries. :)

Laid back and easy going?

Yup!!! :D. Certainly not going to let people bully me here. If they don't like it, then don't read it. Are you trying to PROVE something by putting your post in red???? I think not. Give me a break.

She is also not nasty unless you disagree with her. She won't be upset in asking. But of course there are at least 3 people in the thread that explained why this could bother the people being asked. The OP has chosen to ignore those posts, and acknowledge the posts telling her to ask. This is exactly why I wouldn't want to be the person that said no to her.

Yup!!! :D. Certainly not going to let people bully me here. If they don't like it, then don't read it. Are you trying to PROVE something by putting your post in red???? I think not. Give me a break.

Disagreeing is bullying? geez

Please take your own advice and don't read my post.

Disagreeing is bullying? geez

No. But you are not the person in that cabin!!!!!!! This has nothing to do with you. I don't care what SOME people think. I care about what THEY think! You have absolutely NOTHING positive to contribute, so be gone.

No. But you are not the person in that cabin!!!!!!! This has nothing to do with you. I don't care what SOME people think. I care about what THEY think! You have absolutely NOTHING positive to contribute, so be gone.

You know, you really are nasty. You don't care what SOME people think so you have no problem potentially bothering people on their cruise just so you can share a balcony. You say you care what THEY think but you don't because you have no way of knowing until after you put them in a weird situation. You are pretty selfish as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want opinions, then don't post on a public forum. You can probably put me on ignore or something if you wish me to be gone. I'm not sure how to do that but I've seen the option in other forums.

But your true colors have shown. You are not easy going and you could not care less how you affect others on your cruise, as long as you can try to get cabins you didn't book.

As long as you're nice about it, I see no harm in asking. I would MUCH rather be asked to switch than be sandwiched in between a party traveling together that was going back and forth, knocking on one another's doors, making plans in the hallway, etc. If they don't want to switch, no big deal, and don't hold it against them. I would also be more comfortable having someone from Carnival contact me about possibly switching before the cruise than I would be having a person approach me at boarding.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

You know, you really are nasty. You don't care what SOME people think so you have no problem potentially bothering people on their cruise just so you can share a balcony. You say you care what THEY think but you don't because you have no way of knowing until after you put them in a weird situation. You are pretty selfish as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want opinions, then don't post on a public forum. You can probably put me on ignore or something if you wish me to be gone. I'm not sure how to do that but I've seen the option in other forums.

But your true colors have shown. You are not easy going and you could not care less how you affect others on your cruise, as long as you can try to get cabins you didn't book.

No. You are wrong. I am the most easy going person you will ever meet. However, because you have decided to put yourself in this and act like it's YOU that's being affected, then YES, my true colors are coming out!!! It's not YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's a nice person, like so many others on here. Clearly, you are the minority. Many others have said they'd be MORE than willing to switch. Then there's YOU!!!!! And you call ME selfish?!?!? Move on...........

It's a little harsh to say someone's not a nice person if they don't want to switch cabins or be asked.

I probably wouldn't appreciate it either, I put a lot of thought into choosing my cabins.

Did you hear back from Carnival? What did they say?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. You are wrong. I am the most easy going person you will ever meet. However, because you have decided to put yourself in this and act like it's YOU that's being affected, then YES, my true colors are coming out!!! It's not YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's a nice person, like so many others on here. Clearly, you are the minority. Many others have said they'd be MORE than willing to switch. Then there's YOU!!!!! And you call ME selfish?!?!? Move on...........

You know, I tried to explain that I was only giving an opinion and tried to lighten up my posts but you just keep attacking me. You won't even acknowledge that it is possible someone might feel weird being asked. Maybe it is my Mom who would just say yes and feel crappy the entire cruise because someone made her move. You don't know that. In any case if the PVP asked in the way described above somewhere, where they just say it's the cruise trying to move things around, then that would be ideal if you insist on them asking. I'm not sure how much luck you will have getting them to go above and beyond though.

I just don't know why you are being so nasty to me and calling me selfish. I'm not. I'm concerned you are going to ruin someone else's cruise. But I did also acknowledge that being a center cabin, it's more likely they won't be bothered. Anyhow I'll leave your thread alone now. Sorry to have offered an opinion not to your liking. I'm sure you'll reply and call me some more names. In spite of all that I do hope you enjoy your cruise.

It's a little harsh to say someone's not a nice person if they don't want to switch cabins or be asked.

I probably wouldn't appreciate it either, I put a lot of thought into choosing my cabins.

Did you hear back from Carnival? What did they say?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Haven't heard back. Again, we are fine either way. IMO, it just doesn't hurt to ask. No worries. :D

You know, I tried to explain that I was only giving an opinion and tried to lighten up my posts but you just keep attacking me. You won't even acknowledge that it is possible someone might feel weird being asked. Maybe it is my Mom who would just say yes and feel crappy the entire cruise because someone made her move. You don't know that. In any case if the PVP asked in the way described above somewhere, where they just say it's the cruise trying to move things around, then that would be ideal if you insist on them asking. I'm not sure how much luck you will have getting them to go above and beyond though.

I just don't know why you are being so nasty to me and calling me selfish. I'm not. I'm concerned you are going to ruin someone else's cruise. But I did also acknowledge that being a center cabin, it's more likely they won't be bothered. Anyhow I'll leave your thread alone now. Sorry to have offered an opinion not to your liking. I'm sure you'll reply and call me some more names. In spite of all that I do hope you enjoy your cruise.

Listen. I am not attacking you. What I am trying to get across is that not everyone would feel the way you and your mom would. That's all. However, I feel that there are people that wouldn't care shifting down one cabin. I am not the person you think I am. Sorry to offend you. And thank you for the good cruise wishes.

It's a different type of cabin but I carefully selected my 4k cabin on the legend so I'm between lifeboats. I know if I was asked to move I'd say no and I would probably spend a good part of the cruise worrying I upset someone by saying no. I hope Carnival does not do this. I book early to get the cabin I want and I shouldn't have to worry about being asked to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is no different than if you're at the movies and ask a person to move down a seat so that your group can sit together. My take on it is the person has the right to say no since they made the effort to get there early enough to choose the seats they want. However, if it doesn't make them any difference in their enjoyment of the movie, why not scoot? It never hurts to ask. You have a 50% chance of getting what you want. If they say no, then you're no worse off than if you hadn't asked. Good luck with your request! I hope you get it! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk