Xunantunich Review

just4steven

I finally got around to finishing up with what might be the last in the video series for this trip. I have some more video to look at from on the ship but not sure I'm even going to mess with it. Quick review below video and yes I am just spamming this everywhere so I just copied and pasted the same text. :D :rolleyes:

Here's the quick video of it:

Like others have said it is a long day, but you hardly even notice it. I am guessing it would feel the same if you did it on your own or with a tour from a hotel/resort. I will say it is a lot of walking and when you come around the corner and see the big one, my first thought was OH NO WAY, I'm not climbing that! Then we got a little tour and were explained some history and then the speech came............. how you may possibly never get the chance to do this again in your life, so if if there might be a slim chance please try to make it to the top :)

I fell for it, and sure enough made it. Um, I noticed as I get older I seem to gain more of a fear of heights each year. I must say it was a little difficult for me to make my way back down and had to be coaxed and babied quite a bit. There might have only been like one or two of us that were like this so please take it with a grain of salt and you will see what I mean when you get there. It seemed like nothing to most. If you have a major fear of heights though, hahahaha, coming back down will be "fun"!

It is absolutely amazing though and definitely something for a bucket list to see in your lifetime! The views, even from halfway up, are amazing! So please go at least half way up as that is not scary at all. Sorry I did not have a ton of video from up on top but that's when I started getting my panic attacks, lol. Please experience this though as you will love it even if it is only one time and you will not notice at all how long the day is.

I forget the place we stopped for lunch but it was kind of big and great chicken! It wasn't far from the ruins at all. Someone will probably remember the name, it's the place with all the picnic tables in sort of like an opened air barn and I loved how they had like the 6 different sauces on the table! It would be a cool local joint to stop even if you did this on your own.

We were a little rushed when we left the ruins so we were not allowed to stop at the hut shops by the hand cranked ferry. I am not a shopper at all unless it's local hot sauces or liquor, hee hee hee, but when we walked past these shops when we arrived it looked like they had some really neat things and I wish we would have gotten maybe 5 or 10 minutes as I can even handle shopping that long!

Oh, Oh, Oh! Major tip! We all know it or read about it, I actually did it but only followed through with 50% of it! Bring your bug spray, BUT REMEMBER TO USE IT! I brought it alright, but just got so caught up in everything I never put it on! Yes, I paid for it for several days! I would say where the restrooms are at the last parking lot before you start walking to remember, remember, remember to put it on, at least your legs! Again, I totally knew about this and bugs love me so I remembered to bring it, but just made the boo boo of not using it :( Don't be "that guy" like me.

One final thing on wild life. We saw some cool birds and heard the howler monkeyes but could not get a good view to see any. Um, lol, and keep your eyes opens like in the bathrooms and the information center and on trees. We only saw two and luckily for me it was walking back to the bus after we already took the tour, but just an fyi it seems pretty easy to turn and look at something on a wall or tree and OH WOW, IT'S A TARANTULA! Like a real one, like a few feet away from you, like not the little ones in U.S. pet stores, like way cool, but a little spooky! LOL

And the guys with the machine guns were pretty neat to see too, they might only freak you out for a split second because when we were there they were kind of hiding out in the middle of the jungle right after climbing down the big castle. I wanted to see if they would let me get some selfie shots with them but they seemed pretty business like and I thought it was best if I didn't bother them considering they were packing :)

Very last thing and I'll shut up. We did not really notice the heat, but of course it was humid. We were there the end of January and it was pretty much overcast the whole day so we were ok for the most part. If it were spring, summer, or fall and full sun was out........... yeah, we could tell it would be quite toasty!

Thank you so much for your review. I am on this excursion in a couple weeks. I have my bug spray packed and I'm ready to climb!

LOL, you sound more prepared than me and I loved it even with the bug bites! ENJOY! :)