Just returned... Windsurf

kootz

Sorry that I have opened up a can of worms but this is what I like about these boards...We get to hear everyone opinions.

Yes I understand that if I came in earlier to Nice it might not have been a problem waiting until 2pm to get aboard. That is sometimes what we do on long journeys but was not possible for this sailing. For a ship this size, I still believe they could have done something for the passengers that did not want to see the sights of Nice. The tent, a couple of chairs and some water would have helped a bit.

As afar as the corkage fee, we would have paid it if it came up which it didn't. I never meant to imply that we did something wrong with the wine steward. I still believe it is nice to talk to the workers throughout the cruise and ask about their life. I have seen passengers treat workers like servants and I feel that is wrong. Being nice goes a long way.

I never said it was Windstar's fault about my luggage, just explaining what my trip was like.

I also agree that the food and service was great, just that the money we paid for the trip, I expected more from hearing about Windstar. We too saw an ad in the Orlando newspaper about this cruise and made the Grand Prix sound so fantastic which is why we took this cruise. We could have gone on three or four cruises for the cost of this trip and had just as good time or better but we went specifically for the tooting of the Prix.

I still want to know people's opinions in regards to the liquor the Captain was drinking during the Race. Yes I know he has a large crew to help him with the boat but do you still think it is fine for the Captain to be drinking beer and champage hours before we sail in front of all the passengers?

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for all of your comments. We sailed back to back cruises in the Caribbean (St. Thomas - Barbadoes - St. Thomas) last March and thought our cruise was one of the best we had ever taken. We've been looking at the 2005 Windstar brochure (just out) and were thinking of Wind Surf in the Med. We will think twice about it.... well, more than twice.

I'm going to try to figure a way to send all of these comments to Tom Russell. Tom is the Vice President of Marketing and Sales for Windstar Cruises.

I don't want to be a trouble maker, honest, but have you thought of contacting your credit card company. Protesting the charges might have more of an impact on Wind Star and you may actually get a partial refund for the $1000 charge. I believe it is a rather long process but it will guarantee some response from Wind Star.

We just returned from back to back Windsurf cruises [barcelona to Dover] and it could not have been better! we were given full information each night on what to expect the next day by Thom and then Patrick talked about the shore excursions. Patrick also hosted sessions on each cruise to show slides and give more info. on all the shore excursions. These were held in the Conference room. It was great seeing all the staff and crew again. In my opinion, there are none better afloat!

For any of you considering Windsurf, I just wanted to share what a positive experience we had.

We did a posting called "Kootz had a bad experience on Wind Surf. Has anyone had a good (or bad) experience lately?" We didn't get much of a response, so we're glad to hear you enjoyed the Wind Surf. Can you expand on your favorable comments?

We had hoped to sail on the Wind Surf back to back on November 7 and 14; but our vacation plans are on hold due to Joe's Father's poor health. Maybe we'll be able to swing it anyway - if not, maybe in 2005!

We have travelled on the Surf 5 times and are just now considering a sixth.

Even after reading all these messages, we are still considering!

Our memories of pleasant voyages outweigh the problems I've just read about.

Looking forward to talking with other Surfers soon

satisfied surfer

We did a posting called "Kootz had a bad experience on Wind Surf. Has anyone had a good (or bad) experience lately?" We didn't get much of a response, so we're glad to hear you enjoyed the Wind Surf. Can you expand on your favorable comments?

We had hoped to sail on the Wind Surf back to back on November 7 and 14; but our vacation plans are on hold due to Joe's Father's poor health. Maybe we'll be able to swing it anyway - if not, maybe in 2005!

Remember, you can always take out cruise insurance to reimburse you if you need to cancel. I know some of the policies do cover relatives and if you take out the insurance within 14 days of booking they do cover pre-existing conditions.

Besides the Surf you should also consider the WindStar or WindSpirit. They are smaller than the Surf but the same great service and atmosphere.

I believe that Windstar is a fantastic line and it takes a special person to enjoy the atmosphere of the "small" ship. I firmly believe that if you want the informality and casual atmosphere verses the organization and structure of a large ship you can not go wrong with Windstar.

Just my opinion.

We've been on three Windstar cruises, one on each ship. There were a few small problems, minor annoyances really, but nothing to spoil our enjoyment of wonderful experiences. We're going again soon, and my husband refuses to consider larger, more impersonal ships. It seems more like my idea of a cruise on a very large private yacht with other nice people (not that I've ever been on one.)

Guest Anorak33

Thanks for all the info - we were about to book on the Windsurf. Now we aren't. I think my expecatations would have been too high and we would would have been disappointed.

Back to Princess, HAL and Cunard. We know what to expect on there from experience, its not perfect by any means but at least we won't be paying double the price for it like we would have on Windstar.

• 1 month later...

Arrived at the ship after 36 hours of flying at 9:00am. We were told we could not board the ship until 2pm. We were exhausted and they did not have a "holding area" for anyone. The only thing they had was a tent for the luggage and they told us to go and enjoy the sights of Nice. We were tired, cranky, had carry on luggage and the last thing we wanted to do was to walk around for 5 hours. Too bad they replied. Other cruises we have taken, they always has a holding area with refreshments and air conditioning to let us rest if we could not the ship.

It is insane to book an international flight arriving just a few hours before a cruise! We always arrive at least the day before--to ensure that we get there in time, to see the port of embarkation, and to avoid hassles like the one kootz reports.

36 hours of flying could really affect one's perception of the entire cruise experience.

We were on the Surf last year Copenhagen to St Petersburg, and had a wonderful time, as always. We'll be on the Venice-malta-Rome back to back this fall.

:confused:

Thanks for all the info - we were about to book on the Windsurf. Now we aren't. I think my expecatations would have been too high and we would would have been disappointed.

Back to Princess, HAL and Cunard. We know what to expect on there from experience, its not perfect by any means but at least we won't be paying double the price for it like we would have on Windstar.

I think you should try Windstar for yourself. We only cruise other lines when the itineraries cannot be reproduced on Windstar. I can't conceive of trading Windstar for Princess! Our experience is that you DO get what you pay for.

Avocats

1992 Wind Star Nice-Nice

1993 Wind Spirit Singapore-Singapore

1995 Wind Spirit St. Thomas-St. Thomas

1996 Renaissance III Bali-Singapore

1998 Radisson Diamond Aruba-Costa Rica

1999 Wind Song Lisbon-Barcelona

2002 Wind Spirit Belize/Honduras

2003 Wind Spirit St. Thomas-St. Thomas

2003 Wind Surf Copenhagen-Copenhagen

2004 Wind Surf Venice-Rome

Archived